What are the average global prices for electricity per 1 kW-h?

In summary, the conversation discusses the cost of electricity around the world for 1kW-h. The initial rate mentioned is $141.24/kW-h in India, but upon correcting a mistake, it is actually only $0.0695/kW-h. Other rates mentioned include $0.16/kW-h in the US, $0.08-$0.30/kW-h in the UK, and $0.09-$0.12/kW-h in Texas. The cost in Maine is $0.18/kW-h, but with delivery charges, it doubles in cost. In Canada, the cost is $0.065/kW-h and in Tacoma, Washington, it is $0.031081/k
issacnewton
Hi

I reside in India and last month , our electricity bill was Rs 510 for 163 kW-h
Converting to US dollars, it is US$ 23021 at current exchange rates. So the rate is
$ 141.24 / kW-h . I want to know what is the cost of electricity around the world for
1 kW-h.

Physics news on Phys.org
I reside in India and last month , our electricity bill was Rs 510 for 163 kW-h
Converting to US dollars, it is US$ 23021 at current exchange rates. So the rate is
$ 141.24 / kW-h . I want to know what is the cost of electricity around the world for
1 kW-h.

Isnt it currently about 45 rupee's per $1, hence 510 rupee's would be $11.33, which would be $0.0695 per kWh?

I pay $0.16/kW-hr.

Yes, I am sorry for the mistake. The rate in India would be US$ 0.0695 per kWh or
US 6.95 cents per kWh.

So what are the rates like in other parts of the world ?

Southwest Michigan in the USA, $0.101278/kWh plus $11.14 fixed fee.

In the UK it varies, overnight I pay ~$0.08 per kWh and through the day I can pay up to ~$0.30 per kWh.

Texas Gulf Coast paying right at $0.09 per kWh fixed rate for a year. I've owned my home for almost 3 years now and it has varied from $0.08 up to maybe $0.12.

Our rate is about $0.085/kwh up to 100 kwh, then about $0.065/kwh for the additional.

Edit: It's actually about $0.06/kwh for anything over 100 kwh/month. At our rate of usage, our total cost averages out to $0.065/kwh.

Last edited:
I pay 22p per kWh for the first 40kWh, then 9p per kWh.

UK domestic supply..

Connecticut is about 18 cents per kWh. Just about as expensive as electricty gets. When you think that 1kWh is 3,600,000 joules, it's still a bargain.

Turbo, is that your full cost per kWh? Including "delivery charges"?

Chi Meson said:
Connecticut is about 18 cents per kWh. Just about as expensive as electricty gets. When you think that 1kWh is 3,600,000 joules, it's still a bargain.

Turbo, is that your full cost per kWh? Including "delivery charges"?
Yes, that's it. Maine is loaded with hydro-dams and we are a net exporter of electrical power, so our rates could be (should be IMO) lower. Once you split it out, there is a delivery charge assessed. CMP gets the delivery charge, and Florida Power and Light (who bought all the generating capacity) gets the rest. Our last bill was $69 for 448 kwh.

Last edited:
15 cent/kWh on campus. We have our own cogen power plant

$100/month for all services in hometown (~90% renewable power, all residents own shares in the power company)

Most recent bill that I could find, Alberta, Canada, 6.7499 cents /kWh.

That's the cost of power solely. By the time the power company finishes adding various "delivery charges" and taxes to my power bill, it doubles in cost.

Here in the Quebec part of Canada, we're told we have one of the most extensive hydroelectric complex worldwide. Cost is roughly 0.065 USD/kWh and is known to be relatively low.

Residential rates here in Tacoma, Washington:

Monthly rate
The sum of the following energy, delivery and customer charges:
  • Energy: All energy measured in kilowatt-hours at $0.031081 per kWh.
  • Delivery: All energy delivered in kilowatt-hours at $0.030981 per kWh.
  • Customer Charge: $5.50 per month, or any fraction thereof, for all but collectively metered apartments; $4.50 per month, or any fraction thereof, for collectively metered apartments.

Delivered in finely bureaucratized English.

I guess that the difference in delivered energy and used energy is explained with the power factor.

For simple heating and light, there is probably not a lot of difference, however if you run large electro engines then this can become a factor.

Andre said:
I guess that the difference in delivered energy and used energy is explained with the power factor.

For simple heating and light, there is probably not a lot of difference, however if you run large electro engines then this can become a factor.
Who'se post are you referring to? In lisab's post, the "delivery charge" is the cost of getting the power to you whereas the "energy charge" is the cost of generating it.

Nothing to do with power factor - and in residential, power factor is almost never measured.

So many responses... So I am getting some cheap power here compared to other parts of the world. Sadly, Indian government doesn't exploit abundant sunlight and plenty wind power.

1. What factors affect the cost of home electricity?

There are several factors that can affect the cost of home electricity, including the price of electricity in your area, the amount of electricity used, the type of energy plan you have, and any additional fees or taxes.

2. How can I reduce my home electricity bill?

There are several ways to reduce your home electricity bill, including using energy-efficient appliances, turning off lights and electronics when not in use, adjusting your thermostat, and considering alternative energy sources such as solar panels.

3. Why do electricity rates vary between different areas?

Electricity rates can vary between different areas due to a variety of factors, including the cost of production, distribution, and maintenance of the electricity grid, as well as local regulations and taxes.

4. How can I estimate my monthly electricity bill?

You can estimate your monthly electricity bill by looking at your previous bills and calculating the average cost per kilowatt-hour. You can also use online calculators provided by your utility company or energy suppliers.

5. What are the benefits of using renewable energy for home electricity?

Using renewable energy for home electricity can have several benefits, including reducing your carbon footprint, potentially lowering your electricity bill, and promoting sustainable energy sources for the future.