Why different crystal phases have different colours?

In summary, the colors shown by a crystal are a direct function of its phonon characteristics, which can vary depending on its crystal geometry. The electronic structure of the crystal also plays a significant role in its color, and changes in crystal structure can result in changes in electronic transitions and therefore color. These changes can be calculated, but the exact methods are not discussed. The electronic structure can be influenced by factors such as chemical substitution, bond length, and lattice parameter.
AlKindi
Like quinacridones or HgS and HgS [itex]\gamma[/itex]. I don't understand how crystal phase can act on the resonace of the electrons...Please reference! Thank!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Different crystal geometry has different phonon modes and spectrum. The "colors" of such crystal is a direct function of the phonon characteristics.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Different crystal geometry has different phonon modes and spectrum. The "colors" of such crystal is a direct function of the phonon characteristics.

Zz.

Great! Thanks!
( I've found the bibliography in Wiki's page about phonon)

So the electrons are not interest in the process, and I can't predict this sort of absorption with DFT? Or interpretate a spectra identyfing the Functional group?

Last edited:
I don´t think that phonon modes are of importance in case of the examples you gave. I suspect that some electronic transitions are dipole forbidden in one crystal structure but not in the other. E.g. the molecules may form dimers in the crystal. In one crystal, the dimers are lying parallel to each other, in the other structure anti-parallel. Due to the coupling of the two molecules the electronic transitions split into one of higher frequency and one of lower frequency. Which of the two is of higher intensity depends on the relative orientation of the two molecules.

DrDu said:
I don´t think that phonon modes are of importance in case of the examples you gave. I suspect that some electronic transitions are dipole forbidden in one crystal structure but not in the other. E.g. the molecules may form dimers in the crystal. In one crystal, the dimers are lying parallel to each other, in the other structure anti-parallel. Due to the coupling of the two molecules the electronic transitions split into one of higher frequency and one of lower frequency. Which of the two is of higher intensity depends on the relative orientation of the two molecules.

Okay, maybe they act both together. I'm sure some polymorphic form of quinacridones are due to differents overlaps of the main structure that reinforce the dipole transition depending on the way in which they are set.

Thank's a lot!
P.S. Can I calculate, predict in some way this interaction?

Colors shown by the crystal depend upon various things and are related to the electronic structure and not on the phonon modes. Defects are one of these sources. Change in crystal structure can change the electronic structure of the material and hence the color of the crystal since it is related to the electronic transitions. If transition metal ions are present, change in crystal structure can change the splitting of the degenerate levels resulting in levels of various symmetries. The allowed electronic transitions depend on the symmetry of the ground state, the transition operator and the final state. Hence some the transition can be allowed while the others can be forbidden on change in the crystal symmetry. This can lead to change in color by changing the crystal structure.

Whatever I have mentioned above can be calculated, but I am not the correct person to say anything on as to how it is done.

abhi2005singh said:
Colors shown by the crystal depend upon various things and are related to the electronic structure and not on the phonon modes. Defects are one of these sources. Change in crystal structure can change the electronic structure of the material and hence the color of the crystal since it is related to the electronic transitions. If transition metal ions are present, change in crystal structure can change the splitting of the degenerate levels resulting in levels of various symmetries. The allowed electronic transitions depend on the symmetry of the ground state, the transition operator and the final state. Hence some the transition can be allowed while the others can be forbidden on change in the crystal symmetry. This can lead to change in color by changing the crystal structure.

Whatever I have mentioned above can be calculated, but I am not the correct person to say anything on as to how it is done.

Thanks, so is "simply" a change of the electronic structure. So when something can change the electronic structure? I mean, does the chemical matrix, the surrounding "molecular environment", can affect the electronic structure or must be a more strength bond like a ion bond?

Yes, the chemical surroundings can change the electronic structure. There are other methods as well, like, chemical substitution, change in bond length, bond strength, lattice parameter etc.

Thanks, I think a lot of work can be made in determining this sort of change!

1. How do crystal phases have different colors?

Crystal phases have different colors because of their unique molecular structures and compositions. The arrangement of atoms in a crystal affects how it interacts with light, absorbing and reflecting different wavelengths, and thus producing different colors.

2. Why do some crystal phases have a wider range of colors than others?

The range of colors in a crystal phase is dependent on the types of atoms present and their arrangements. Some crystal phases have a broader range of colors because they contain a greater variety of atoms and molecular structures, allowing for more diverse interactions with light.

3. What causes a crystal phase to change color?

Changes in a crystal phase's color can be caused by a variety of factors, such as changes in temperature, pressure, or chemical composition. These changes can alter the arrangement of atoms in the crystal, resulting in different interactions with light and a change in color.

4. Are there any crystal phases that are colorless?

Yes, there are crystal phases that are colorless. This is usually due to their molecular structure, which does not allow for significant interactions with light. However, some colorless crystals can appear to have a hue when viewed in large quantities due to light scattering.

5. Can the color of a crystal phase be used to identify it?

While the color of a crystal phase can provide some information about its composition, it is not a reliable method of identification. Many crystal phases can have similar colors, and other properties such as density, hardness, and shape must be considered to accurately identify a crystal phase.