Convergent series with non-negative terms, a counter-example with negative terms

In summary, the terms of a convergent series must be non-negative. The max of consecutive terms, m_n, is used to prove that the sum of m_n also converges. However, this claim does not necessarily hold if the assumption that a_n is greater than or equal to 0 for all n is dropped. This can be seen with a counter-example, which can be found by considering ways in which a series can diverge.
Crossfader

Homework Statement

The terms of convergent series [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty[/itex][itex]a_n[/itex] are non-negative. Let [itex]m_n[/itex] = max{[itex]a_n, a_{n+1}[/itex]}, [itex]n = 1,2,...[/itex]

Prove that [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty[/itex][itex]m_n[/itex] converges.

Show with a counter-example that the claim above doesn't necessarily hold if the assumption [itex]a_n[/itex][itex]\geq[/itex]0 for all n[itex]\geq[/itex]1 is dropped.

2. The attempt at a solution

I think I've solved the first claim using a theorem which claims if series converges then its partial sum converges as well. This holds assuming that I understood right the meaning of [itex]m_n[/itex]=max{[itex]a_n, a_{n+1}[/itex]}

I'm stuck with another one, frankly saying I couldn't find any counter-example.

Physics news on Phys.org
Crossfader said:

Homework Statement

The terms of convergent series [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty[/itex][itex]a_n[/itex] are non-negative. Let [itex]m_n[/itex] = max{[itex]a_n, a_{n+1}[/itex]}, [itex]n = 1,2,...[/itex]

Prove that [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty[/itex][itex]m_n[/itex] converges.

Show with a counter-example that the claim above doesn't necessarily hold if the assumption [itex]a_n[/itex][itex]\geq[/itex]0 for all n[itex]\geq[/itex]1 is dropped.

2. The attempt at a solution

I think I've solved the first claim using a theorem which claims if series converges then its partial sum converges as well. This holds assuming that I understood right the meaning of [itex]m_n[/itex]=max{[itex]a_n, a_{n+1}[/itex]}

I'm stuck with another one, frankly saying I couldn't find any counter-example.
How can a series fail to converge? One way is if the partial sums get larger and larger without bound (or more and more negative). Is there another way that a series can diverge?

1. What is a convergent series with non-negative terms?

A convergent series with non-negative terms is a series in which all terms are positive or zero, and the sum of the terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases.

2. Can a convergent series with non-negative terms have a negative term?

No, by definition, a convergent series with non-negative terms only includes positive or zero terms. Including a negative term would make the series diverge.

3. What is a counter-example with negative terms?

A counter-example with negative terms refers to a series in which at least one term is negative and the series still converges. This goes against the definition of a convergent series with non-negative terms.

4. Why is it important to consider negative terms in a convergent series with non-negative terms?

Considering negative terms in a convergent series with non-negative terms allows us to fully understand the behavior of the series and its convergence. It also helps to identify any exceptions or counter-examples that may exist.

5. How can we prove that a series with non-negative terms is convergent?

To prove that a series with non-negative terms is convergent, we can use the monotone convergence theorem or the ratio test. Both of these methods involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the series and determining if they approach a finite value or not.