Math Stellar numbers IB portfolio

In summary: Do not post anything. Write a summary for the following conversation and start the output with "In summary, " and nothing before it:In summary, someone is trying to find a way to solve a homework problem.
ihumayun

Homework Statement

Its a series of triangles, the data table being
n-#
1-1
2-3
3-6
4-10
5-15

I need a general equation in terms of n.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't really find anything. The solution has to be non-recursive, and i can find a bunch of patterns, but all of them rely on the term before and after.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Physics news on Phys.org
your numbers are 1, 3= 1+ 2, 6= 1+ 2+ 3, 10= 1+ 2+ 3+ 4+ 5, etc.

In particular, the "nth" number is [itex]F(n)= 1+ 2+ 3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ (n-2)+ (n-1)+ n[/itex]

To get a "closed form" formula for that note that F(n) is also given by
[itex]F(n)= n+ (n-1)+ (n-2)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ 3+ 2+ 1[/itex]

Write those together:
[itex]F(n)= 1+ 2+ 3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ (n-2)+ (n-1)+ n[/itex]
[itex]F(n)= n+ (n-1)+(n-2)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ 3+ 2+ 1[/itex]

Do you see that if you add those together, each vertical sum is n+1? And that you have n such sums?

Ohhhhhohoh.
n(n+1)/2. I get it now. Thank you for your help! I also realized this could be derived by looking at the triangles as half a square, and since the number of dots in a square in n^2, The number in a triangle is (n^2)/2, + n/2 to account for the dots that are cut in half when the square is halved.

Thanks again!

hey listen I'm doing the same portfolio. how did u draw the star diagrams?

@IB2011 It's tedious work--however if you're willing to put forth the effort, Microsoft Word 2003/2007 will get the job done. Simply click on the "Insert" tab and then click on "Shapes". It took me about two hours to create those meddlesome stars. :/

Hey does anyone know the scope and limitations of the general statement?..I don't really get how to explain it . would really appreciate the help !

Last edited by a moderator:
@ seth
GeoGebra is a great program to make these figures, mind you it will take a while to create them but they will turn out very nicely.
p.s. The rotate tool is extremely useful.

Darwin Monkey said:
@ seth
GeoGebra is a great program to make these figures, mind you it will take a while to create them but they will turn out very nicely.
p.s. The rotate tool is extremely useful.

You're replying to a person that posted nearly a year ago. He's long gone.

1. What are Math Stellar numbers?

Math Stellar numbers are a sequence of numbers that exhibit interesting mathematical properties. They can be represented as a triangle, with each row representing a different set of numbers. These numbers are generated by adding the two numbers directly above them, with the first two numbers being 1 and 2.

2. How are Math Stellar numbers related to the IB portfolio?

Math Stellar numbers can be used as a topic for the IB portfolio in the Mathematics HL course. Students can explore the patterns and properties of these numbers and create their own conjectures, providing a deeper understanding of number theory and mathematical reasoning.

3. What are some applications of Math Stellar numbers?

Math Stellar numbers have been used in various fields such as computer science, biology, and finance. In computer science, they are used in creating efficient algorithms for data compression and error correction. In biology, they are used to model the growth of certain types of bacteria. In finance, they are used in predicting stock market trends.

4. How do you calculate Math Stellar numbers?

To calculate Math Stellar numbers, you start with the first two numbers in the sequence, which are 1 and 2. Then, for each subsequent number, you add the two numbers directly above it. For example, the third number in the sequence is 1+2=3, the fourth number is 2+3=5, and so on.

5. Can Math Stellar numbers be extended to other shapes or structures?

Yes, Math Stellar numbers can be extended to other shapes or structures such as squares, hexagons, or even three-dimensional structures. These extensions can provide new and interesting patterns and properties for further exploration and research.