Small proof on monotonic functions

In summary, the discussion is about a problem related to chemistry, specifically the effects of a solute on the vapor pressure and freezing point of an ideal solution. The problem involves proving that a certain point exists based on the given conditions, and the solution involves using the mean-value theorem and the properties of differentiable functions. The connection to chemistry is made through the comparison of the problem to the phase diagram of a solvent with a solute added.
Bipolarity
I actually made this question up while studying some chemistry. The problem is easy to visualize, but I'm trying to formalize to help myself think more rigorously. To be precise I sort of thought about how you could prove that a reduction in vapor pressure causes a depression freezing point in an ideal solution.

Suppose that [itex]f(x)[/itex] and [itex]g(x)[/itex] are both real-valued differentiable functions defined for all x.

It is known that:
[itex]f'(x)>0[/itex] for all x
[itex]g'(x)>0[/itex] for all x
There exists exactly one value of [itex]c[/itex] such that [itex]f(c) = g(c) [/itex]
There exists a [itex]d[/itex] such that [itex]f(d) = g(d)-5 [/itex]

Prove that [itex]d<c [/itex]

I will be very thankful if someone could help me out. Again this is a problem I made up from my studies in chemistry. Not a homework problem.

Thanks!

BiP

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it's true.

Take f(x)=2x and g(x)=x+1. Then f(0)=g(0)=1, but there certainly exists a point d>0 such that f(d)=g(d)+5. Take d approximately 3.20194.

micromass said:
I don't think it's true.

Take f(x)=2x and g(x)=x+1. Then f(0)=g(0)=1, but there certainly exists a point d>0 such that f(d)=g(d)+5. Take d approximately 3.20194.

Ah my mistake. I forgot to clarify that there is exactly one point of intersection between
f(x) and g(x).

Sorry!

BiP

Still not true. Take f(x)=ex and g(x)=x+1.

Just to throw an idea:

Define h(x): g(x)-f(x)

Then: h(c)=g(c)-f(c)=0

h(d)=g(d)-f(d)=5

And you know h(x) is differentiable . Then, using the MVT, there is an x in (c,d) with :

h'(x)=[h(d)-h(c)]/(d-c)=5/(d-c)

Then h'(x) --the difference (g-f) -- is positive when d>c, and otherwise negative, and

you know this difference is 0 at one point, i.e., at c.

So you're saying that the only choice is when one function grows faster than the other before- or after- they meet.

Last edited:
Bacle2, I guess you've solved it. But micro's counterexamples were also correct, so I smell a paradox! Is giving me the goosebumps!

BiP

Bipolarity said:
Bacle2, I guess you've solved it. But micro's counterexamples were also correct, so I smell a paradox! Is giving me the goosebumps!

BiP

Actually, I think my layout suggests that your hypothesis needs (at least tweaking), and
your conditions need to be strengthened, so at least from that I don't think there is a paradox.

Yes, if you add the hypothesis that

[tex]g^\prime(x)>f^\prime(x)>0[/tex]

for all x, then what you say is true.

micromass said:
Yes, if you add the hypothesis that

[tex]g^\prime(x)>f^\prime(x)>0[/tex]

for all x, then what you say is true.

Wait, micro, could you please walk me through how adding that condition consolidates Bacle's proof? I can understand the intuition behind it but I can't see it's role in the proof itself.

Also, I think you mean [tex]f^\prime(x)>g^\prime(x)>0[/tex]

BiP

Bipolarity said:
Wait, micro, could you please walk me through how adding that condition consolidates Bacle's proof? I can understand the intuition behind it but I can't see it's role in the proof itself.

Also, I think you mean [tex]f^\prime(x)>g^\prime(x)>0[/tex]

BiP

Yes, I meant it the other way around.

Let's use Bacle's idea and introduce the function h=f-g.

We know that h(c)=0 and h(d)=-5 and h'(x)>0 for all x.

This also shows that the assumption that f' and g' is >0 is not necessary.

Assume that d>c. Using the mean-value theorem, we know that there is a b between c and d such that

[tex]h^\prime(b)=\frac{h(d)-h(c)}{d-c}[/tex]

but the left-hand side is postive. The right-hand side evaluates to

[tex]\frac{-5}{d-c}[/tex]

and is negative. This is a contradiction. So our assumption that d>c is false.

micromass said:
Yes, I meant it the other way around.

Let's use Bacle's idea and introduce the function h=f-g.

We know that h(c)=0 and h(d)=-5 and h'(x)>0 for all x.

This also shows that the assumption that f' and g' is >0 is not necessary.

Assume that d>c. Using the mean-value theorem, we know that there is a b between c and d such that

[tex]h^\prime(b)=\frac{h(d)-h(c)}{d-c}[/tex]

but the left-hand side is postive. The right-hand side evaluates to

[tex]\frac{-5}{d-c}[/tex]

and is negative. This is a contradiction. So our assumption that d>c is false.

Amazing! Thanks! How do you guys do these so fast and elegantly?

BiP

Bipolarity, how exactly is this related to the chemistry problem you were discussing?

lugita15 said:
Bipolarity, how exactly is this related to the chemistry problem you were discussing?

I'm glad you asked. When a solute is dissolved in a pure solvent and forms an ideal solution, the vapor pressure pressure of the solvent drops. (Raoult's law)

If you look at the phase diagram of any solvent, the added solvent essentially shifts the vapor pressure curve downward (this is only an approximation!) and it intersects with the solid-gas curve at a lower temperature, resulting in a lower triple point.

In my problem, f(x) was essentially the solid-gas curve. g(x) was the vapor pressure (or liquid-gas) curve, and the downward shift was done to prove that the curves now intersect at a lower temperature, hence the triple-point temperature depression.

It was difficult for me to initially realize that the solid-gas curve has a higher slope than the liquid-gas curve if you extrapolate it, which explains the initial confusion in this thread. Calculus be thanked!

Refer to this picture:
fpdep.gif

Pretty obvious from the diagram, it's just that I'm a stickler for abstract rigor. Dunno if that's good or bad thing.

BiP

Last edited:

1. What is a monotonic function?

A monotonic function is a mathematical function that either always increases or always decreases as its input variable increases. In other words, as the input increases (or decreases), the output also increases (or decreases) without any sudden changes in direction.

2. How do you prove that a function is monotonic?

To prove that a function is monotonic, you can use the definition of monotonicity which states that for any two points on the function, if the first point has a smaller input value than the second point, then the output value of the first point should be less than or equal to the output value of the second point for a strictly increasing function (or greater than or equal for a strictly decreasing function).

3. What is the difference between a monotonic and a non-monotonic function?

A monotonic function always increases or decreases, while a non-monotonic function may have some points where the function increases and other points where it decreases. In other words, a monotonic function has a consistent trend in its behavior, whereas a non-monotonic function does not.

4. Can a function be both increasing and decreasing?

No, a function cannot be both increasing and decreasing. It can only be one or the other, but not both at the same time. This is because the definition of a monotonic function states that it must either always increase or always decrease.

5. How is monotonicity useful in mathematics and science?

Monotonic functions are useful for studying and understanding the behavior of various systems in mathematics and science. They can help us make predictions about how a system will change over time, and they are also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum values of a function. Additionally, monotonicity is a fundamental concept in calculus and plays a role in other areas of mathematics, such as analysis and geometry.