Simple reactions for non-chemist?

• Thread starter Opus_723
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reactions
In summary, a physics student is looking for ways to maintain interest and keep herself busy outside of her college chemistry classes. She is considering performing simple chemical reactions at home, and looking for ideas for projects to do. Some suggestions include the chemical garden, distillation of essential oils, and attempting the golden rain reaction. There may be cheaper ways to acquire the chemicals needed, and looking at the Citizen Chemist board may provide even more ideas.
Opus_723
I'm a physics student who's only taken one college chemistry class. I'm planning on taking the rest of the intro series for my own enrichment and a possible materials science minor, but that's going to come in bits and pieces due to my schedule. So between chemistry classes, I'm looking to have some fun to maintain interest. Also, I have a thing for science demos.

So I was wondering if there are any interesting, safe reactions that I could perform at home with some basic equipment and reagents (I have a bit of money to spend on this, but not a lot) for my own enrichment/fun. Preferably something really basic that I could understand at intro freshman level, like a precipitation reaction. And of course, something that's not going to kill me if I do it wrong, since I'm so inexperienced.

And believe me, baking soda and vinegar never gets old. Just looking for a little variety is all = )

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Here's a fairly simple procedure for isolating the active component of catnip from the dried herb.

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Kitty-Crack:--ultra-potent-catnip-extract/?ALLSTEPS

It should be somewhat safe (it does involve some somewhat dangerous chemicals like toluene [paint thinner], however), and would probably be doable at home. You can also probably find some good procedure for isolating caffeine on google.

These aren't chemical reactions, but performing these isolations is most definitely chemistry. Often in organic chemistry, we spend more time isolating the product of the reaction, than on the chemical reaction itself.

Those suggestions sound great!

I actually saw the golden rain reaction in my chem book and wanted to try it, but I didn't know that it had such a neat name. And thanks for the heads up about lead salts. I plan to check the MSDS for everything I use and might make before I perform any reactions.

The chemical garden and distillation of essential oils look like really fun projects too. Extracting chemicals seems just as exciting to me as reactions.

What would be the cheapest way to get the chemicals needed for these projects? Such as potassium iodide and lead nitrate for the golden rain, and the metal salts for the chemical garden? I've never actually purchased these sorts of chemicals before.

1. What is a simple reaction?

A simple reaction is a chemical reaction that involves the transformation of one or more substances into different substances. It typically involves the breaking and forming of chemical bonds between atoms or molecules.

2. What are some examples of simple reactions?

Examples of simple reactions include combustion, where a substance reacts with oxygen to produce heat and light, and neutralization, where an acid reacts with a base to form a salt and water.

3. How do I predict the products of a simple reaction?

To predict the products of a simple reaction, you need to understand the types of reactions and the rules for balancing chemical equations. You can also use the periodic table to determine the charges of elements and predict the formation of ionic compounds.

4. What factors can affect the rate of a simple reaction?

The rate of a simple reaction can be affected by temperature, concentration of reactants, surface area, and the presence of a catalyst. Increasing the temperature and concentration, as well as increasing the surface area of the reactants, can all speed up the reaction. A catalyst can also lower the activation energy and increase the rate of the reaction.

5. Can simple reactions be reversed?

Yes, simple reactions can be reversed. This is known as a reversible reaction. In a reversible reaction, the products can react to form the original reactants. This can occur when the reactants and products are in equilibrium, meaning the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction.