Help finding friction force of block moving across horizontal atwood's machine

In summary, you attach a pulley to the desk with a clamp and then have a friction block (three types: cork, plastic, and felt) attached to a string which is attached to a hanging mass. This basic setup is called an atwood's machine. The purpose of the lab was to identify the coefficient of friction by determining what hanging mass is needed to move the block at a constant speed. You did multiple trials with each block, adding different weights to the block and then adding weights to the hanging mass in order to pull the block. The steps you need to take in order to find the coefficient of the friction (we're trying to find the kinetic friction by the way) are find the normal force, then find the fr
Littledude
Basically we did a lab where you attach a pulley to the desk with a clamp and then have a friction block (three types: cork, plastic, and felt) attached to a string which is attached to a hanging mass. This basic setup is called an atwood's machine. The purpose of the lab was to identify the coefficient of friction by determining what hanging mass is needed to move the block at a constant speed.
We did multiple trials with each block, adding different weights to the block and then adding weights to the hanging mass in order to pull the block.
The steps I need to take in order to find the coefficient of the friction (we're trying to find the kinetic friction by the way) are, I believe, find the normal force (which I found), then find the frictional force, then the coefficient using those two.
My problem is finding the frictional force, I do not know any formula's which would allow me to find it without the coefficient of friction, which I need the friction force to find.

I vaguely remember somebody saying that the frictional force is equal to the hanging mass, but I'm not sure that makes sense. Could someone confirm that?

If the data is needed to explain this to me just let me know.

If I was to find the force applied by the hanging mass how would that relate to finding the friction force, is that the right step to be taking?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the speed of the block is constant, the net force on it must equal zero. The only horizontal forces acting on the block are the friction force and the string tension, so they must be equal (and opposite). How does the string tension relate to the weight of the hanging mass?

Doc Al said:
Since the speed of the block is constant, the net force on it must equal zero. The only horizontal forces acting on the block are the friction force and the string tension, so they must be equal (and opposite). How does the string tension relate to the weight of the hanging mass?

Sadly, I don't know, either I was absent or just not paying attention when we went over tension. I don't remember the word ever being mentioned

also, I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong forum section, I just noticed the homework help section of the forums.

Last edited:
Littledude said:
Sadly, I don't know, either I was absent or just not paying attention when we went over tension. I don't remember the word ever being mentioned
Well, time to crack open the textbook! :smile: (See: Horizontal Pulley with Friction)

What forces act on the hanging mass? (Hint: Only two.) What must they add to? (The hanging mass is also moving with constant speed.)
also, I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong forum section, I just noticed the homework help section of the forums.
I will move it.

Doc Al said:
Well, time to crack open the textbook! :smile: (See: Horizontal Pulley with Friction)

What forces act on the hanging mass? (Hint: Only two.) What must they add to? (The hanging mass is also moving with constant speed.)
Gravity and tension and they must equal 0?

Littledude said:
Gravity and tension and they must equal 0?
Right. (They must add to zero.)

Ok, so tension would 9.8 while gravity is -9.8

so yeah, I'm really clueless as to what to do next, it's extremely frustrating that the concept just won't click.

I appreciate that you are trying to help me actually learn the concept of this, but the lab report is already late and I'm failing the clss until I hand it in.
If it's possible for you to just explain how to do this clearly I'd be grateful.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help, I talked to some other people and I believe I know how to do it now.

Littledude said:
Ok, so tension would 9.8 while gravity is -9.8
The weight of the hanging mass is mg, so the string tension must equal mg. And now that you have the string tension, how does that relate to the friction force? (Review post #2.)

Littledude said:
Thanks for all the help, I talked to some other people and I believe I know how to do it now.
Cool. (Sorry I didn't get to this sooner.)

1. What is friction force?

Friction force is a force that occurs when two surfaces are in contact and moving relative to each other. It acts in the opposite direction of the motion and can cause objects to slow down or come to a stop.

2. How is friction force measured?

Friction force can be measured using a spring scale or a force sensor. The amount of force required to overcome the friction and move an object is equal to the friction force.

3. How do you calculate friction force?

Friction force can be calculated using the equation F = μN, where F is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force between the two surfaces.

4. What factors affect the friction force?

The friction force is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the normal force between them, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

5. How can I find the friction force of a block moving across a horizontal Atwood's machine?

You can find the friction force of a block moving across a horizontal Atwood's machine by using the equation F = μmg, where F is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the block, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.