Stochastic Process Intg: Why & How?

In summary: X(s) \right) = \sigma \int_0^t e^{-us} dB(s) - \int_0^t u e^{-us} X(s) dt.But we cannot integrate the second term in this way, because X is not deterministic (it is a stochastic process). However, if we have some other stochastic process Y, and we can solve dY = uY dt, then we can set X = Y, and we have a closed-form solution for X as a function of t, so we can evaluate the second term exactly.RGV
operationsres
Why does:

[itex] \int_0^t d(e^{-us} X(s)) = \sigma \int_0^t e^{-us} dB(s)[/itex]

for stochastic process [itex]X(t)[/itex] and Wiener process [itex]B(t)[/itex]?

Also, why is the following true:

[itex] \int_0^t d(e^{-us} X(s)) = e^{-ut}X(t) - X(0)[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org

operationsres said:
Why does:

I'll answer the second part.

I assume the limits of integration are for the variable, s, and not for the differential quantity, [itex]\displaystyle d(e^{-us} X(s))\ .[/itex]

We can write that differential as [itex]\displaystyle \ \ d(e^{-us} X(s)) = \left(\frac{d}{ds}\left(e^{-us} X(s)\right)\right)ds\ .[/itex]

So that [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \int_{s=0}^{s=t}d(e^{-us} X(s)) = \int_{0}^{t}\left(\frac{d}{ds}\left(e^{-us} X(s)\right)\right)ds\ .[/itex]

SammyS said:
So that [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \int_{s=0}^{s=t}d(e^{-us} X(s)) = \int_{0}^{t}\left(\frac{d}{ds}\left(e^{-us} X(s)\right)\right)ds\ .[/itex]

Working with this, we have that:

[itex]\int_{0}^{t}\left(\frac{d}{ds}\left(e^{-us} X(s)\right)\right)ds = \int_{0}^{t} \left( -ue^{-us}X(s) + e^{-us} \right)ds[/itex]

[itex]= -u \int_0^t e^{-us}X(s)ds + \int_0^t e^{-us}ds[/itex]

So I'm still not sure how I can get to the identity based on what you've provided?

Last edited:

operationsres said:
Working with this, we have that:

[itex]\int_{0}^{t}\left(\frac{d}{ds}\left(e^{-us} X(s)\right)\right) = \int_{0}^{t} \left( -ue^{-us}X(s) + e^{-us} \right)ds[/itex]

[itex]= -u \int_0^t e^{-us}X(s)ds + \int_0^t e^{-us}ds[/itex]

So I'm still not sure how I can get to the identity based on what you've provided?
Use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to evaluate the definite integral [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \int_{0}^{t}\left(\frac{d}{ds}\left(e^{-us} X(s)\right)\right)ds\ .[/itex]

What is the anti-derivative of [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \frac{d}{ds}\left(e^{-us} X(s)\right)\ ?[/itex]

operationsres said:
Why does:

Presumably because that is the solution to some stochastic differential equation, maybe something like

$$dX_t = -uX_t dt + \sigma dB_t.$$
(Ito interpretation)

(I believe that is not actually the correct stochastic differential equation for that integral; it was just a first guess. Look up Ornstein-Uhlenbeck process for more information and the actually stochastic differential equation. )
The important point is that a different stochastic differential equation would yield a different integral-form solution.

Last edited:

SammyS said:
What is the anti-derivative of [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \frac{d}{ds}\left(e^{-us} X(s)\right)\ ?[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \ \ \frac{d}{ds}\left(e^{-us} X(s)\right)\ = \int_0^t \frac{d}{ds}\left(e^{-us} X(s)\right)ds[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \ \ = d(e^{-ut}X(t))[/itex]

It seems I've gone in a circle (obviously I didn't do what you were asking for).

Mute said:
Presumably because that is the solution to some stochastic differential equation, maybe something like

$$dX_t = -uX_t dt + \sigma dB_t.$$
(Ito interpretation)

A differential stochastic differential equation would yield a different solution.

In fact it is. Nice!

operationsres said:
In fact it is. Nice!

Actually, I think the SDE I guessed in that post was not quite correct, as it may ignore a drift term. The full SDE is likely the one corresponding to the Ornstein-Uhlenbeck process, as I just mentioned in an edit to my previous post.

Mute said:
Actually, I think the SDE I guessed in that post was not quite correct, as it may ignore a drift term. The full SDE is likely the one corresponding to the Ornstein-Uhlenbeck process, as I just mentioned in an edit to my previous post.

Dear Mute,

Since you know about the OU process, can I ask if this is an accurate representation of a mean-reverting OU?

[itex] dX(t) = (m-X(t))dt + \sigma X(t) dB(t)[/itex]

where m is the mean-reversion term, B(t) is standard Brownian Motion.

I ask because (i) This is what's in my tutorial question list, (ii) Wikipedia and all other external sources I've seen state this process without X(t) in the latter part of the expression (e.g. Wikipedia et al.).

SammyS said:
Use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to evaluate the definite integral [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \int_{0}^{t}\left(\frac{d}{ds}\left(e^{-us} X(s)\right)\right)ds\ .[/itex]

You need to avoid things like (d/dt)[exp(-ut) X(t)], because, typically, X(t) is a seriously non-differentiable function, and the usual calculus rules do not apply. Instead, we need to deal with stochastic differentials (essentially, the opposite of stochastic integrals), and we need to use Ito's Lemma or similar results to evaluate things. For example, if B is a standard Brownian motion, we have d(B(t)^2) = 2 B(t) dB(t) + dt, and d(exp(B)) = exp(B) dB + (1/2)*exp(B) dt, etc.

RGV

Last edited:

SammyS said:

The anti-derivative of [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \frac{d}{ds}\left(e^{-us} X(s)\right)\ [/itex]

is [itex]\displaystyle \ \ e^{-us} X(s)\ .[/itex]

So that

[itex]\displaystyle \ \ \int_{0}^{t}\left(\frac{d}{ds}\left(e^{-us} X(s)\right)\right)ds=\left(e^{-ut} X(t)\right)-\left(e^{-u0} X(0)\right)\ .[/itex]

nice, I understand, well done Sammy!

operationsres said:
Why does:

I don't think the expression in this thread's title is correct; however, the second one you wrote is OK (and is, basically, equivalent to the notion of a stochastic differential as an anti-stochastic integral---almost the opposite of how it is done in ordinary calculus). If we have dX = σ dB, and we let f(x,t) = exp(-ut)*x, then
[tex] f_x(x,t) = e^{-ut},\: f_{xx}(x,t) = 0, \; f_t(x,t) = -u e^{-ut} x,[/tex]
so Ito's Lemma gives
[tex] d[f(X(t),t)] = \left( 0 f_x + \frac{1}{2} \sigma^2 f_{xx} + f_t \right) dt
+ \sigma f_x dB = -u e^{-ut} X(t) dt + \sigma e^{-ut} dB,[/tex]
so
[tex] \int_0^t d\left(e^{-us} X(s) \right) = \sigma \int_0^t e^{-us} dB(s)
- \int_0^t u e^{-us} X(s) ds.[/tex]

RGV

1. What is a stochastic process?

A stochastic process is a mathematical model that describes the evolution of a system over time in a probabilistic manner. It is used to analyze random phenomena and is often used in fields such as physics, biology, finance, and engineering.

2. Why is stochastic process integration important?

Stochastic process integration is important because it allows us to model and analyze complex systems that have random components. This can provide insights into the behavior of these systems and help us make predictions and decisions based on the probabilistic nature of the system.

3. How is stochastic process integration different from other types of integration?

Stochastic process integration differs from other types of integration, such as deterministic integration, because it takes into account the uncertainty and randomness in the system. It uses probabilistic methods to integrate over all possible outcomes, rather than a single deterministic solution.

4. What are some common applications of stochastic process integration?

Stochastic process integration has many applications, including financial modeling, weather prediction, stock market analysis, and risk assessment. It is also used in fields such as biology, physics, and engineering to model and analyze complex systems.

5. How is stochastic process integration used in scientific research?

Stochastic process integration is used in scientific research to model and analyze systems that have random components. It allows researchers to make predictions and analyze the behavior of these systems in a probabilistic manner, providing valuable insights and understanding of the system's dynamics.