What is going on inside my magnets?

• Thread starter RobBer5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnets
In summary, the speaker is trying to create a diamagnetic levitation system for their PhD and noticed that grinding down the magnets did not significantly change the strength of the magnetic field. They are seeking an explanation for this phenomenon, potentially related to magnetic domains. They also provided a simplified explanation of how diamagnetic levitation should work and are wondering if the grinding of the magnets would affect the field gradient. Another self-taught physicist offers their thoughts and wishes the speaker luck with their project.
RobBer5
Hi All,

I'm currently trying to make a diamagnetic levitation system for manipulating microdroplets for my Ph.D. As I was carefully grinding down my magnets to an appropriate size I noticed that the strength of the field didn't change that much. One magnet before the grinding produced a maximum magnitude of ~0.46T and after grinding the field on the same side produced a maximum magnitude of ~0.45T! I measured the field with a Teslameter and ground down the magnets using a file and ethanol for cooling.

Can anyone explain this to me (I'm only a self-taught physicist)? I'm thinking it's something to do with the magnetic domains...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You are self taught and doing a PhD?!
Way to go!

Have you told your supervisor about what is happening to your magnets?

Anyway - you are thinking, I imagine, that if you join two small magnets together you should get one magnet of greater strength - so grinding them down should weaken them?

Conceptually: sketch the field lines for two equal strength bar magnets lined up like so:

[N1S][N2S]

... all the lines from the N of 1 go into the S of 2, and all the lines from the N of 2 go into the S of 1. So what happens to the magnet strength close to the poles of the combined magnet compared with the separated magnets?

You know how permanent magnets work right?

Thank you for replying, and yes I know how permanent magnets work. Although it doesn't really answer my question, since I was talking about a single magnet before and after grinding.

I really should have explained about how diamagnetic levitation works (at least how it should work in my case) to save time:

The magnetization of the permanent magnets will be directed in-plane and opposite in direction to each other:

[S1N] [N2S]

The idea is to produce a large field gradient between the magnets. When a diamagnetic droplet/particle comes into a contact with the field it produces a small induced magnetic moment directed opposite to the magnetic field. Using strong enough magnets, the interaction of this moment with the magnetic field gradient provides the force which levitates the droplet/particle. Due to the orientation of the magnets the minimum should lie along a line between the magnets.

Excuse me: I thought the grinding was just to resize the magnets ... if you made them smaller radially I'd expect a decrease in strength near the poles but not smaller vertically.

Grinding is the action of cutting magnets into lots of smaller bits ... and one big bit.
The simplification for illustration purposes is just slicing the magnet in half to get two equal strength magnets.

Isn't the field gradient supposed to be created by the fact you are shoving like-poles together? i.e. not by shaping the magnets? What did you expect the grinding to do to the field? (i.e. what is it you want explained?)

Do you have some reliable data on field strength variance with mass of the magnet? Shape of the final ground magnet would probably have little effect other than affecting field propagation. How or how much I denna ken.

The above are the WAGs of yet another self-taught physicist.

Best of Luck,
Rob

1. What is the composition of a magnet?

A magnet is typically made of a material that contains iron, nickel, and cobalt. These elements have unpaired electrons in their outermost energy level, which allows them to align and create a magnetic field.

2. How do magnets work?

Magnets work by creating a magnetic field that attracts or repels other magnetic objects. This is due to the alignment of the unpaired electrons in the material, which creates a force that can attract or repel other magnetic materials.

3. What causes magnets to have different strengths?

The strength of a magnet is determined by the alignment and number of unpaired electrons in the material. The more unpaired electrons, the stronger the magnetic field will be. Additionally, the distance between the poles of a magnet also affects its strength.

4. Can magnets lose their magnetism?

Yes, magnets can lose their magnetism over time. This can happen due to exposure to high temperatures, strong vibrations, or demagnetizing fields. However, some materials are more resistant to losing their magnetism than others.

5. How can I make a magnet?

You can make a magnet by exposing certain materials, such as iron, nickel, or cobalt, to a strong magnetic field. This will align the electrons in the material, creating a magnetic field. You can also rub a magnet against a piece of iron or steel to magnetize it.