Simulations / Computer programs

In summary, Ed used random.org to generate random numbers and then used a program to analyze the results.
Biosyn
Hello,

Would someone please give me a list of free programs that I can use to simulate probability experiments/distributions.

Such as drawing 5 cards randomly from a deck or rolling 5 sets of 20 sided dice.

Or do I have to learn R or something?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're just looking to pick random numbers like in the examples you described, then there are plenty out there. random.org has a generic generator as well as specific examples like coin tosses, dice, and cards.

Or, are you looking for something that will analyze the results for you too?

justsomeguy said:
If you're just looking to pick random numbers like in the examples you described, then there are plenty out there. random.org has a generic generator as well as specific examples like coin tosses, dice, and cards.

Or, are you looking for something that will analyze the results for you too?

Something that will analyze the results. As well as a program that I can set the number of trials there are, up to the millions.

Sorry if I'm prying but if you have one program that's generating random numbers or distributions, and that same program analyzing them, all it's going to analyze is the output of it's own random number generator.

Is there something specific you want to accomplish?

justsomeguy said:
Sorry if I'm prying but if you have one program that's generating random numbers or distributions, and that same program analyzing them, all it's going to analyze is the output of it's own random number generator.

Is there something specific you want to accomplish?

I would like to be able to run a simulation similar to what this person has done:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4198125&postcount=26

I see. The random.org card shuffler can do that -- but it's one draw at a time. You can tell it to draw as many cards as you like.

Why not ask Ed what software he used? I could write you something if he doesn't answer, it would be pretty simple.

I just sent Ed a message. :P

The thing with random.org is that I don't want to sit there and keep pressing the 'Again' button until I get a million trials. I would also have to record the outcomes by hand.

Yeah I completely understand that. I'm not sure what specific 'card shuffling' software is out there that will do exactly what you want, but as I said, if he doesn't get back to you I can probably spin something up in perl pretty quick to duplicate his results.

justsomeguy said:
Yeah I completely understand that. I'm not sure what specific 'card shuffling' software is out there that will do exactly what you want, but as I said, if he doesn't get back to you I can probably spin something up in perl pretty quick to duplicate his results.

Okay, thank you! I'll let you know if he replies or not.

Ed Collins replied. Thank you!

1. What are simulations and computer programs used for?

Simulations and computer programs are used to model and mimic real-world systems and phenomena. They allow scientists to study and analyze complex systems, predict outcomes, and test hypotheses without having to physically observe or manipulate the real system.

2. How do simulations and computer programs work?

Simulations and computer programs use mathematical equations and algorithms to simulate the behavior and interactions of different components within a system. These equations are programmed into a computer, which then runs the simulation and produces results based on the input data and parameters.

3. What are the advantages of using simulations and computer programs?

Simulations and computer programs offer several advantages, including the ability to study and manipulate complex systems that would be difficult or impossible to observe in real life, the ability to control and test variables, and the ability to repeat experiments and obtain consistent results.

4. What are the limitations of simulations and computer programs?

Simulations and computer programs are only as accurate as the data and equations used to create them. They also require a significant amount of computing power and resources, and may not always capture the full complexity of real-world systems. Additionally, simulations may not always account for unpredictable events or human behavior.

5. How are simulations and computer programs used in different scientific fields?

Simulations and computer programs are used in a wide range of scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, engineering, and economics. They are used to study and understand complex systems, make predictions, and test theories and hypotheses. They are also used in industries such as aviation, medicine, and entertainment to simulate and improve processes and outcomes.