Complex simplification example, do not see how it follows

In summary, the author is discussing how to integrate a function around a closed loop with a certain radius. They start with a z-value at the starting point, and integrate around a circle with that radius. They then use Euler's identity to reduce the equation to a simpler form.
TheFerruccio
This is an example in Kreyszig Advanced Engineering Mathematics section 14.1, example 6. There are two things I do not understand about the book's example.

Homework Statement

They are integrating around a loop containing [tex]z_0[/tex] with radius [tex]\rho[/tex] of the complex function [tex]\frac{1}{z^m}[/tex].

Would it be helpful for me to just copy the book's example? It's more my attempt to understand the steps that they are taking that is giving me such a hard time. While the title of the problem says "Integral of [tex]\frac{1}{z^m}[/tex] with Integer Power m" the final contour integral they are taking ends up being [tex]\oint_{c}(z-z_0)^m dz[/tex] I do not see how this, at all, relates to the title of the problem.

Furthermore, I do not understand this equality:

[tex](z-z_0)^m=p^m e^{imt}[/tex]I apologize for not following the mandated format for this, but it is not really me trying to solve the problem, so much as it is me trying to understand what the heck the textbook is trying to tell me.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheFerruccio said:
They are integrating around a loop containing [itex]z_0[/itex] with radius [itex]\rho[/itex] of the complex function [itex]\frac{1}{z^m}[/itex].
:
I do not understand this equality:
[itex](z-z_0)^m=p^m e^{imt}[/itex]
At this point, it's not just any old loop containing z0, but rather a circle radius ρ centred on z0. So z-z0 will have modulus ρ. (ρ
, not p.) How did they get to there? For a conformal function, such as zm, integrating around a closed loop containing no poles gives 0. An integral around an arbitrary loop around a pole therefore depends only on the pole - any loop around it will produce the same integral (as long as no other poles get included). So you can replace the original loop with a circle centred on the pole, if that makes things easier.
That said, I can't make much sense of z-m in this. I would have expected the original function to be (z-z0)-m.

haruspex said:
At this point, it's not just any old loop containing z0, but rather a circle radius ρ centred on z0. So z-z0 will have modulus ρ. (ρ
, not p.) How did they get to there? For a conformal function, such as zm, integrating around a closed loop containing no poles gives 0. An integral around an arbitrary loop around a pole therefore depends only on the pole - any loop around it will produce the same integral (as long as no other poles get included). So you can replace the original loop with a circle centred on the pole, if that makes things easier.
That said, I can't make much sense of z-m in this. I would have expected the original function to be (z-z0)-m.

So, for the equation [itex](z-z_0)^m[/itex] I would understand if it equaled [itex]\rho^m[/itex] Though, I do not quite understand where they got the [itex]e^{imt}[/itex]

They started out as... [itex]z(t)=z_0+\rho\left(\cos{t}+i\sin{t}\right)=z_0+ \rho e^{it}[/itex] And, that makes perfect sense to me. They are saying that the curve is represented as the parameterized function [itex]z(t)[/itex] and they are integrating along a circle around [itex]z_0[/itex] with a radius [itex]\rho[/itex] with the shape of the general circle equation [itex]\cos{t}+i\sin{t}[/itex]. From here, they are using Euler's identity to reduce it to [itex]z_0+\rho e^{it}[/itex]. Great, that makes sense.

I am still not quite understanding the specific step where they replaced [itex]\left(z-z_0\right)^m[/itex] with [itex]\rho^m e^{imt}[/itex]. Is it because [itex]\left(z-z_0\right)^m[/itex], in this case is a fixed radius? Maybe I am starting to understand, but I might also be misunderstanding...

[itex]z(t)=z_0+ \rho e^{it}[/itex]
[itex]z-z_0 = \rho e^{it}[/itex]
[itex](z-z_0)^m = (\rho e^{it})^m = \rho^m (e^{it})^m = \rho^m e^{itm}[/itex]

haruspex said:
[itex]z(t)=z_0+ \rho e^{it}[/itex]
[itex]z-z_0 = \rho e^{it}[/itex]
[itex](z-z_0)^m = (\rho e^{it})^m = \rho^m (e^{it})^m = \rho^m e^{itm}[/itex]

Oh, wow, that was dreadfully simple. How did I not see that? :P

Thanks! Makes perfect sense. That's embarrassing.

1. How can complex ideas be simplified without losing their meaning?

Complex simplification is a process of breaking down a complicated concept or idea into smaller, easier to understand components. This can be achieved by using analogies, visual aids, or simplifying language. It is important to ensure that the essence of the original idea is not lost in the simplification process.

2. What are the benefits of using complex simplification in scientific communication?

Complex simplification can help make scientific concepts more accessible to a wider audience, including those without a scientific background. It also allows for easier understanding and retention of information, making it a more effective form of communication.

3. Can complex simplification be applied to all scientific topics?

Complex simplification can be applied to most scientific topics, but it may not always be the most appropriate approach. Some concepts may require a certain level of complexity to accurately convey the information. It is important to assess the audience and purpose of the communication before deciding on the level of simplification needed.

4. How can one ensure the accuracy of information when using complex simplification?

To maintain accuracy, it is important to carefully select which aspects of the complex idea to simplify and which to retain. It is also crucial to fact-check and review the simplified information with experts to ensure that the key points are accurately conveyed.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using complex simplification in scientific communication?

One potential drawback is that oversimplification can lead to the loss of important details and nuances, which can result in misunderstandings or misinterpretations. Additionally, some may argue that simplifying complex ideas can diminish the importance and complexity of the topic. It is important to carefully consider the balance between simplicity and accuracy when using complex simplification.