Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?

In summary, the weather is gradually changing from cold to warmer temperatures. The forecast for tomorrow predicts that there will be winds between 20 and 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. This will create significant blowing and drifting of snow with near blizzard conditions possible at times. Visibilities will be reduced to below one half mile, making roads near impossible to travel on. The cold wind chill values will be widespread, ranging from 20 to 30 below zero. There is a potential for life-threatening situations due to the dangerously cold temperatures. Additionally, my aunt and uncle own a large strawberry farm and citrus orchard near Tampa, FL and stand to lose the entire crop due to the hard long freeze.
  • #1,016
Our temperature this morning, -13 C = 9 F, was about normal for this time of year. My six-year-old daughter and I walked for 30 minutes to a coffee shop, stopped and had stuff, and then walked another 10 minutes to her school.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,017
38 today with a wintery mix. I would love to get right into dry and frigid.

• #1,018
WINTER POEM

It's winter in Canada !
And the gentle breezes blow
Seventy miles an hour
At thirty-five below.
Oh, how I love Canada
When the snow's up to your butt
You take a breath of winter
And your nose gets frozen shut.
Yes, the weather here is wonderful
So I guess I'll hang around
I could never leave Canada
I'm frozen to the friggin' ground!

• #1,019
Alfi said:
WINTER POEM

It's winter in Canada !
And the gentle breezes blow
Seventy miles an hour
At thirty-five below.
Oh, how I love Canada
When the snow's up to your butt
You take a breath of winter
And your nose gets frozen shut.
Yes, the weather here is wonderful
So I guess I'll hang around
I could never leave Canada
I'm frozen to the friggin' ground!
That's cute. It's was 10F when I got up, an hour later it was 9F. :grumpy:

• #1,020
'Tis the season to be shoveling,

Tra-la-la, tra-la-la, la-la-la

Don we now our work apparel

Tra-la-la, tra-la-la, la-la-la

Update: Snow, then sleet, then freezing rain makes for a heavy ground cover.

Last edited:
  • #1,021
Currently, lower than 15 deg, and the temps are headed for single digits later tonight. The NW wind makes it feel much colder. Duke had to go out a bit earlier, and he didn't dawdle.

• #1,022
We are about 0 F tonight, already, and will likely head into the negative numbers soon. On the upside, Duke (who wants to go out often due to diarrhea) is reluctant to dawdle and returns promptly. I love him, but walking him in this weather is painful. With the wind, 0 deg F can be really tough.

• #1,023
It was a more normal temperature between 5 and 10°F this morning. It should be the same tonight, although the low could be around 0°F.

Update: According to our back yard thermometer, it was -1°F.

Last edited:
  • #1,024
in the prairies they harvest grain like this, in montreal they harvest snow with giant snowblowers :tongue2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmctKriiGKk

• #1,025
fourier jr said:
in the prairies they harvest grain like this, in montreal they harvest snow with giant snowblowers :tongue2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmctKriiGKk

Not just for harvesting. :smile:

snow%20machine.jpg

• #1,026
Pythagorean said:
-40 is coming soon

Never again, now in a location that doesn't go very far below freezing

• #1,027
11 am, and the temperature is almost up to 5 deg F. The woodstove is getting a workout.

Edit: I'll have to move the sensor for the electronic thermometer. The alcohol thermometer at the back of the house is still reading below zero.

Last edited:
  • #1,028
Went for my coldest run yet, we're getting to the coldest part of the winter here now.

Weather report (Celsius):
t1L7ZIw.jpg

How I looked afterwards:
oAIQ1lZ.jpg

This was a fairly short run though, only 1.5km warmup with 25 minutes of intervals afterwards.

• #1,029
It's not that cold out today, but wild. Heavy rain with strong, gusty winds and 52 degrees. We have already lost power twice in the past 10 minutes, though the auto-resets restored it both times. I have a laptop. We'll see how long the UPS can power my wireless router...

• #1,030
I ran outside today. I wore shorts and a T-Shirt and worked up a sweat. I was tempted to turn the AC on in my truck afterwards on the drive home. Yay winter!

• #1,031
turbo said:
It's not that cold out today, but wild.
As cooler temps abate slightly, I note southern sections of NH & ME are expecting
1-2ft of snow as two low pressure systems collide, bringing in a good old
fashion Nor'easter. There's still time to check the oil and tire pressure on the snow plow. :smile:

• #1,032
We're expecting a lot of snow Friday night and into Saturday morning. Snow will reach from the sky all the way down to ground level.

• #1,033
Jimmy Snyder said:
We're expecting a lot of snow Friday night and into Saturday morning. Snow will reach from the sky all the way down to ground level.
That's a lot. I hope you know how to tunnel.

• #1,034
It has just reached ~20 deg here, though walking Duke was no fun, with the wind. I am hating winter.

Actually, I looked at a bi-metallic-strip thermometer while checking the mail, and it looks like we just made it to 10 deg F in the shade.

Last edited:
  • #1,035
turbo said:
That's a lot. I hope you know how to tunnel.
Tunneling's not the issue. It's trying to run between the falling snowflakes.

• #1,036
This is supposedly from Michigan's U.P.:

QuincySnow.jpg

I read once that when the snow gets piled up high enough on both sides of the sidewalks up there, they lay boards across the top and let more snow fall on top to create snow tunnels. I haven't found any pictures, though, so this may be just a U.P. tall tale.

• #1,037
jtbell said:
This is supposedly from Michigan's U.P.:

QuincySnow.jpg

I read once that when the snow gets piled up high enough on both sides of the sidewalks up there, they lay boards across the top and let more snow fall on top to create snow tunnels. I haven't found any pictures, though, so this may be just a U.P. tall tale.
I lived there for four years and never saw it that deep. I did see piles like that but not entire roadways. I also heard the stories about snow tunnels on the sidewalks but never saw that either. When I was there, I heard that there was a freak snowstorm the year before where snowflakes were the size of dinner plates. I wish I had seen that!

Average for the season was about 200 inches but the last year that I was there, we got that by Christmas. I think that we got 300 inches (25 feet) that season which was pretty close to a record. Also, I was in the Keweenaw peninsula which gets significantly more snow from lake effect than the rest of the UP.

BTW, here's a web cam from the Michigan Tech campus if you want to see it live.

Last edited:
  • #1,038
We got around 6 inches in the last 12 hours. There was no snow at all in the morning.

• #1,039
Borek said:
We got around 6 inches in the last 12 hours. There was no snow at all in the morning.

Dang, all it did was rain here last night and I almost had to turn the AC on in my apartment when I got home today. :frown:

I've never been in snow more than about 1 inch thick. If that.

• #1,040
It's overrated.

• #1,041
Things are going to deteriorate tonight. There will be melting snow starting at 3:00 am and turning to freezing rain at 6:00 am. For the next three hours there will be a mixture of rain/snow and snow/rain, turning later to snow/rain and rain/snow. At 9:00 am, expect rain dear, with scattered toys. From 9:07 to 9:13 there will be a chance of hail with hailstones roughly the size of Texas. From 9:37 until 9:45 there will be freezing temperatures and a windchill of 74F. Rain will continue all day turning to snow at 9:00 pm and continuing until 9:00 am Saturday.

• #1,042
Jimmy Snyder said:
Things are going to deteriorate tonight. There will be melting snow starting at 3:00 am and turning to freezing rain at 6:00 am. For the next three hours there will be a mixture of rain/snow and snow/rain, turning later to snow/rain and rain/snow. At 9:00 am, expect rain dear, with scattered toys. From 9:07 to 9:13 there will be a chance of hail with hailstones roughly the size of Texas. From 9:37 until 9:45 there will be freezing temperatures and a windchill of 74F. Rain will continue all day turning to snow at 9:00 pm and continuing until 9:00 am Saturday.
:bugeye:

It's nice here. <sips her tea>

• #1,043
No weather here.

• #1,044
We in New England are preparing for snowmageddon to start tomorrow morning.

I can't wait to sleep in late, get nothing done, and make a nice breakfast (with lots of bacon). You know, a regular grad student day, but with bacon.

• #1,045
Please don't eat Chris P. Bacon. He is a cute pig, and so small that he wouldn't be worth the trouble, anyway.

• #1,046
The weather forecast has changed and we are having trouble finding Nemo. Now they are predicting light rain until 9:00 tonight, then snow. We're south of the purple area, the blue area, and even the white area, safely gray.

• #1,047
Snowing lightly, though with really big flakes. The wind is mostly out of the East, which is not a good sign in this area. Only 8 degrees out, so these big flakes make me think that the cold surface air is being overlain by warm, wet air from over the ocean. We'll see what we get. A foot or so would cripple Boston, Providence, NYC... Not such a big deal up here, though.

• #1,048
Around morning we moved from the snowing zone into the melting zone, but they predict we will move into the freezing zone later today.

• #1,049
Flurries in New England. Nothing crazy yet.

turbo said:
A foot or so would cripple Boston, Providence, NYC... Not such a big deal up here, though.

I'll keep you guys posted on Boston. Though, I've been here when there was a foot of snow before. Things were shut down for a day or so, but it was nothing we couldn't handle.

Last edited:
  • #1,050
While driving east on the PA turnpike toward NJ tonight, we passed a caravan of about 50 utility trucks probably headed north to New England to help in case of downed power lines. In addition, there was a caravan of military trucks, I think they were electricity generators. Here in South Jersey we're only expecting 4 inches of snow, so we can spare the equipment as well if it is being relocated. Good luck to you during this storm and in the aftermath. I see that Maine's 19 cars all crashed into each other.