The Ecliptic and the Galactic Planes

In summary: I'm not sure what "in the front" means, but the plane of the ecliptic is tilted roughly towards the direction of the solar system's orbital motion around the galaxy. Try a planetarium software(e.g., Celestia http://www.shatters.net/celestia/ ) to help you visualise it, or go out at night where you can see the band of the Milky Way and compare its position on the sky with that of the ecliptic.
EskWIRED
I heard recently that the ecliptic is about 60 degrees out of alignment with the galactic plane, and was tilted up in the "front". Is that true?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It is tilted about that much.
I'm not sure what "in the front" means, but the plane of the ecliptic is tilted roughly towards the direction of the solar system's orbital motion around the galaxy.
Try a planetarium software(e.g., Celestia http://www.shatters.net/celestia/ ) to help you visualise it, or go out at night where you can see the band of the Milky Way and compare its position on the sky with that of the ecliptic.

Bandersnatch said:
It is tilted about that much.
I'm not sure what "in the front" means, but the plane of the ecliptic is tilted roughly towards the direction of the solar system's orbital motion around the galaxy.
Try a planetarium software(e.g., Celestia http://www.shatters.net/celestia/ ) to help you visualise it, or go out at night where you can see the band of the Milky Way and compare its position on the sky with that of the ecliptic.

AH! So THAT is why the Milky Way is tilted in the sky! Wow. I never really thought about that. I guess I assumed that it had to do with the tilt of the Earth's axis, but I never really thought about it.

Is anybody aware of a good animation of the planets circling the sun as the sun moves around the galactic center, similar to the inaccurate one at ?

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to remove the link to that video. Guy is a crackpot.

In this context, the tilt of the axis is responsible for the ecliptic(i.e., the zodiacal signs) being tilted away from the horizon.

I don't know of any such animations off the top of me head. What I do know is that it's nothing special. It's like watching the moons of Uranus go around the planet as it goes around the Sun.

Bandersnatch said:
You might want to remove the link to that video. Guy is a crackpot.

Indeed he is, and the video portrays planetary motion that has no correlation to reality.

But damn, it sure looks nice! It is too bad that such a talented animator did not do things accurately.

So does anybody know of a nice animation, on par with the crackpot animation, that shows the planets circling the sun as the sun circles the galactic center?

What is the Ecliptic Plane?

The Ecliptic Plane is the apparent path that the Sun takes across the celestial sphere throughout the year. It is the projection of Earth's orbit onto the sky.

What is the Galactic Plane?

The Galactic Plane is the central disk of the Milky Way galaxy. It is where the majority of stars, gas, and dust in our galaxy are located.

What is the significance of the Ecliptic and Galactic Planes in astronomy?

The Ecliptic and Galactic Planes play important roles in understanding the motions and positions of celestial objects. They help astronomers map out the locations of stars, planets, and other objects in the sky.

What is the difference between the Ecliptic and Galactic Planes?

The Ecliptic Plane is the path of the Sun's apparent motion across the sky, while the Galactic Plane is the central disk of our galaxy. They are different planes and have different orientations in the sky.

Why are the Ecliptic and Galactic Planes important for astrological and cosmological studies?

The Ecliptic Plane is important in astrology as it is the basis for the zodiac signs and horoscopes. The Galactic Plane is significant in cosmological studies as it helps us understand the structure and evolution of our galaxy.