Cathodes/Anodes in Chemistry and Physics

In summary, the confusion around the polarity of cathodes and anodes in chemistry and physics is due to the difference between conventional current and electron current. While conventional current flows from positive to negative, electron current flows from negative to positive. In a galvanic cell, the conventional current flows from the cathode to the anode, while in a vacuum tube, the electrons travel from the cathode to the anode. This difference in direction is due to the different environments in which these devices operate.
quanticism
Hi,

I'm confused at why cathodes are the positive terminal in chemistry but appear to be the negative terminal in physics. I hope someone can clear this up for me.

Definitions:
Anode: An anode is an electrode through which conventional current flows into a polarized electrical device.
Cathode: A cathode is an electrode through which conventional current flows out of a polarized electrical device

Galvanic Cell
Galvanic_cell_with_no_cation_flow.png

Vacuum Tube
cathode-rays-formation.jpe

Going by the definition above, I agree with the galvanic cell "cathode/anode" labels.

However, looking at the vacuum tube, the electrons traveling to the right through the partial vacuum and entering the anode, ie conventional current is leaving the anode which seems to contradict the provided definition.

Likes davidbenari
Physics news on Phys.org
The definitions describe what happens outside the device.

Inside the CRT, electrons travel from the cathode to the anode.

Outside the CRT, to complete the circuit, electrons travel from the anode to the cathode.

So outside the CRT, conventional current travels from the cathode to the anode.

So conventional current flows from outside the CRT into the anode.

Likes davidbenari
Thank you very much! I finally see the light now :)

There is a difference between conventional current (taken as flowing from positive to negative) and electron current. This link will explain it and the history of the convention. http://web.engr.oregonstate.edu/~traylor/ece112/lectures/elect_flow_vs_conv_I.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
The electrons are reppeled from Cathode and attracted to Anode.
The electrons in galvanic cell can not move trough the Porous disk, and they move trough the outside circuit.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of cathodes and anodes in chemistry and physics?

Cathodes and anodes are used in electrochemical processes to transfer electrons between the reactants. The cathode is the electrode where reduction (gain of electrons) occurs and the anode is where oxidation (loss of electrons) occurs.

2. How do cathodes and anodes differ in their chemical properties?

Cathodes typically have a higher affinity for electrons and are therefore used as the site of reduction reactions. Anodes have a lower affinity for electrons and are used for oxidation reactions.

3. What materials are commonly used as cathodes and anodes?

Some common materials used as cathodes include platinum, gold, and graphite. For anodes, materials such as zinc, copper, and carbon are commonly used.

4. Can cathodes and anodes be reversed in their roles?

Yes, in certain cases, cathodes and anodes can be reversed in their roles. For example, in a rechargeable battery, the cathode and anode can switch roles depending on whether the battery is being charged or discharged.

5. How do cathodes and anodes play a role in corrosion?

In corrosion, the anode is the site of the oxidation reaction, where metal ions lose electrons and are released into the environment. The cathode, on the other hand, is where reduction reactions occur, preventing the formation of metal ions. This process helps protect the metal from further corrosion.