Convert AC to DC | Julius' Guide | 400L Student

• Thread starter juliusabidoye
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Dc
In summary, Julius, a 400L student, is seeking a step-by-step practical guide on how to convert AC to DC. As a new member of the forum, he hopes to learn from the experienced members and receive 90% of the help he needs to succeed in his future career. Some suggestions were made, including using a full wave bridge rectifier with a capacitor, a single diode with a reservoir capacitor, or a step-down transformer as an AC source. It was recommended to start with a small experimenters box and to use a basic oscilloscope or a PC one with a voltage divider probe. The safety aspect of the AC supply was emphasized, with a suggestion to use a transformer in a box with a thermal cut
juliusabidoye
Hi everyone i am Julius a 400L student, this is my first post as a new member of this great forum. Please,i want to know a step by step practical guide on how to convert AC to DC , i join this forum for me to properly learn (PRACTICAL) from the masters here and it will be my pleasure if i can have at list 90 percent of help i need in this forum to succeed in my future career i am having less that 1 year to finish my program at the university waiting for your positive repose thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
juliusabidoye said:
Hi everyone i am Julius a 400L student, this is my first post as a new member of this great forum.Pls,i want to know a step by step practical guide on how to convert AC to DC , i join this forum for me to properly learn (PRACTICAL) from the masters here and it will be my pleasure if i can have at list 90 percent of help i need in this forum to succeed in my future career i am having less that 1 year to finish my program at the university waiting for your positive repose thanks.
Hello juliusabidoye,

In the olden days, we used full wave bridge rectifiers, with a capacitor on the output, to smooth out the pulses.

actodc.2014.01.19.1111.jpg

I would imagine there are other ways to do this, by now.

In the even older days, they used to use just a single diode (rectifier) with a reservoir capacitor, which is not always needed if all you want is 'unidirectional current' rather than a steady DC voltage. Those Selenium Rectifiers were expensive, iirc - and pretty rubbish, too.
Did you look at Wikipedia? Here is a link.

Converting Ac to DC is the most generic way to describe this, as Sophie points out it can be done with one Diode, from there the systems become more and more complex, each method had it's own benefits, drawbacks and pittfals - while this can be studied on paper ( internet - etc) - but IMO building each type will have the best impact.

I would start with a small step down transformer as an ac source ( get an adviser to help and make this to be safe), and build into a small experimenters box. 120VAC to 12-0-12 Secondary. This will provide 12V or 24V AC source. ( On the AC side, you will need the plug, a fuse, and a properly rated switch), bring the 3 low voltage leads to binding posts.

From this you can build rectifier circuits with the 1, 2, 4 Diodes, and experiment with different filtering etc. on a basic breadboard.

Some type of basic oscilloscope will be best to see what is going on - a PC one will, do but the inputs need to be limited to ?? 0.7V? - I am not sure, but you can build a basic voltage divider probe 100/1 to keep the ratios in check. I would also advise to "build" each circuit in Spice ( LTSpice is free) - before you build the real circuit - then compare the Spice results with your real world results.

A set up like this could support about 20-40 AC/DC conversion experiments. I have been thinking of developing this as a web-curriculum, but I would reference a suppler like radio shack for parts ( as I am based in the USA) -the Safety aspect of the AC supply is my biggest concern.

well i want to sincerely appreciate you all that contributed to my thread i want to say i have find your information helpful thank you and God bless you.

rbelli1 said:
A quick search found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Power-...38006?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item2a2af3a8f6

This is just a transformer in a box. The fourth contact is wired through to the ground pin on the wall plug. Everything is isolated but I don't know if there is any fuses inside. I had one on the shelf so I took a look.

BoB

There are quite a few of these things available and they are of various qualities and voltages. It is possible that there is a thermal cutout to avoid overheating but it would be a good idea to provide yourself with a 2A fuse (in line type, perhaps) to protect it with. Probably the cheapest way to get your 'safe' AC supply to work with.

1. What is the purpose of converting AC to DC?

The purpose of converting AC (alternating current) to DC (direct current) is to change the form of electrical energy from one type to another. AC is the type of electricity that is commonly used in homes and businesses, while DC is often used to power electronic devices such as computers and cell phones.

2. How is AC converted to DC?

AC can be converted to DC using a device called a rectifier. This device uses diodes to convert the alternating current into a pulsating direct current. The pulsating current is then passed through a filter to smooth out the waveform and produce a steady DC output.

3. What are some common applications of AC to DC conversion?

AC to DC conversion is used in a variety of applications, including powering electronic devices such as TVs, computers, and smartphones. It is also used in power supplies for industrial equipment, electric vehicles, and renewable energy systems such as solar panels.

4. What are the advantages of converting AC to DC?

There are several advantages to converting AC to DC. DC is more efficient for long-distance transmission, as it experiences less energy loss compared to AC. DC is also more suitable for electronic devices, as it can be easily regulated and controlled. Additionally, DC is safer for certain applications, such as powering sensitive electronic equipment.

5. Are there any disadvantages to converting AC to DC?

One disadvantage of converting AC to DC is the cost and complexity of the conversion process. It requires additional components and circuitry, which can increase the overall cost of a system. Additionally, DC cannot be easily transformed into higher or lower voltages, which can limit its use in certain applications.