Distinguish covalent and partially covalent chemical bonds

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between covalent and partially covalent chemical bonds. It is noted that electronegativity plays a role in determining the type of bond, and that there is a continuum of intermediary states between purely covalent and purely ionic bonds. The conversation also mentions the use of Bader analysis to quantify the amount of covalent and ionic bonding in a molecule.
vinhphysics
I read some books which mention about covalent and partially covalent chemical bonds. However, I cannot distinguish between them. Who can help me?
Thank you very much!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The only purely covalent bonds I can think of are those in diatomic molecules of gases. In every other case electronegativity of the atoms is different and the bond has some ionic character and some covalent character.

Please note covalent/ionic classification is not precise - while there are obvious differences between bonds (compounds) on both ends of the scale, there is a continuum of intermediary states. Where we put the border between one type of the bond and other type of the bond is just a convention.

Borek said:
The only purely covalent bonds I can think of are those in diatomic molecules of gases.
Just to add a precision: that would be homonuclear diatomic molecules. You can add also other special cases like the CC bond in ethane, where the molecule is completely symmetric.

DrClaude said:
Just to add a precision: that would be homonuclear diatomic molecules.

Good point, thanks. That's what I had on mind, but the wording was lousy.

Even homonuclear bonds have an ionic contribution, and it is not easy to quantify the respective portion of covalent vs. ionic bonding. One appealing methods is the Bader analysis of "atoms in molecules":
http://www.chemistry.mcmaster.ca/aim/

1. What is a covalent bond?

A covalent bond is a type of chemical bond formed between two atoms when they share one or more pairs of electrons. This type of bond is typically formed between non-metal atoms.

2. What is a partially covalent bond?

A partially covalent bond is a type of bond that falls between a purely covalent bond and an ionic bond. In this type of bond, the atoms share their electrons unequally, resulting in a slight separation of charge within the bond.

3. How do covalent and partially covalent bonds differ?

The main difference between covalent and partially covalent bonds is the degree of sharing of electrons between atoms. In a purely covalent bond, the electrons are shared equally, while in a partially covalent bond, the electrons are shared unequally, resulting in a slight polarity.

4. What types of atoms form covalent and partially covalent bonds?

Covalent bonds are typically formed between non-metal atoms, such as carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, and oxygen. Partially covalent bonds can also involve non-metals but can also occur between a metal and a non-metal.

5. What are some examples of substances with covalent and partially covalent bonds?

Examples of substances with covalent bonds include water (H2O), methane (CH4), and carbon dioxide (CO2). Examples of substances with partially covalent bonds include hydrogen fluoride (HF) and sodium chloride (NaCl).