Tardigrades are earth's toughest creatures

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, Tardigrades are fascinating creatures that can survive in extreme conditions and are the toughest type of animal. However, it is debatable if they are tougher than some bacterial or archaeal species that form spores. Despite their tiny size, Tardigrades have garnered attention for their resilience and cuteness, with people often searching for them under microscopes.
These guys are fascinating and if you've been watching the Cosmos show you'll know about them. Apparently they can live just about anywhere and live in some of the worlds harshest conditions!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

Cute guy too!

Attachments

• _52392786_c0089246-spl.jpg
    _52392786_c0089246-spl.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 620
Biology news on Phys.org
Oh, I loved those guys!

How would toughness be defined scientifically? I'd agree that they are probably the toughest type of animal, but it would be hard to believe that they'd be "tougher" than some bacterial or archaeal species, especially ones that form spores.

Ygggdrasil said:
How would toughness be defined scientifically? I'd agree that they are probably the toughest type of animal, but it would be hard to believe that they'd be "tougher" than some bacterial or archaeal species, especially ones that form spores.

True, but those spores don't look much like a creature :)

Ygggdrasil said:
Definition of a creature: an animal, as distinct from a human being :biggrin:

One of the little guys, alive, under the microscope. Pretty amazing videography.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're very cute. My friend and I used to go around hunting among pond scum and moss under the microscope to find them, but could never find a convincing specimen. Need to give it another go.

What are tardigrades and why are they considered the toughest creatures on Earth?

Tardigrades, also known as water bears or moss piglets, are microscopic organisms that live in a wide range of environments on Earth. They are considered the toughest creatures on Earth due to their ability to survive extreme conditions that would be lethal to most other living organisms.

What extreme conditions can tardigrades survive?

Tardigrades are able to survive extreme temperatures, ranging from -328°F to 300°F. They can also survive high levels of radiation, pressures up to six times the pressure of the deepest part of the ocean, and even the vacuum of space.

How do tardigrades survive in these extreme conditions?

Tardigrades have developed unique survival strategies, such as cryptobiosis, where they enter a state of suspended animation and can survive for years without water or food. They also have the ability to repair their own DNA and protect their cells from damage.

Can tardigrades be found anywhere on Earth?

Yes, tardigrades can be found in almost every habitat on Earth, including the depths of the ocean, hot springs, and even on the highest mountains. They are also able to survive in extreme environments created by humans, such as the vacuum of space and the harsh conditions of nuclear disasters.

What impact do tardigrades have on scientific research?

Tardigrades have been the subject of many scientific studies due to their unique abilities and their potential applications in fields such as medicine and space exploration. They have also sparked interest in the search for extraterrestrial life, as they have shown that life can survive in extreme conditions that were previously thought to be uninhabitable.