RHCP signal to a LHCP receiver

In summary, the conversation discusses a research project on the effects of polarized electric fields and antennas. The individual has been asked to prove the theory that RHCP signals have no effect on LHCP antenna receivers. They have searched the internet for a mathematical explanation or guidance on how to prove this, but have been unsuccessful. The individual also mentions their understanding of circular polarization and the equations they have in polar form for the different waves. Ultimately, they are wondering why a LHCP antenna only accepts LHCP signals and if it has something to do with the cancellation of the Y component. They also mention the requirement for the transmission lines to be 90 degrees out of phase for the antenna to work properly.
xz4chx
My electrical engineering teacher had us do a research project, and i decided to do my on the effects of polarized electric fields and antennas. I was reading that RHCP signals have no effect on LHCP antenna receivers. When i sent my paper to my teacher, he told me that i had to prove this theory. So i went searching around the internet but could not find a solid math theory or explanation why this is true. I was wondering if someone could either guide me on how to prove this or give me a reference that shows the math of why this is true.

Thank you for your time and help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since this is your schoolwork project, you need to show us what you have done so far. What are typical configurations for antennas that use circular polarization? What are some of the equations that you use to analyze antennas? Do you have access to any antenna simulation software?

No antenna software. As for equations I have in polar form that one wave would be

Your RHCP wave would be

X direction would be Ae^(-jkz)
Y direction would be Ae^(-jkz-(∏/2))

And the wave it would accept would be (LHCP)

X direction would be Ae^(-jkz)
Y direction would be Ae^(-jkz+(∏/2))

I understand that an antenna will radiate a RHCP signal in the positive z direction, and LHCP in the negative z direction.

The only thing I see is if you added the two equations together you would get rid of the Y component since they are out of phase by PI.

So why would a LHCP antenna only accept LHCP but RHCP have no effect on the antenna? Does it have something to do with the Y component cancelling each other out?

I know for the antenna you are suppose to make the length of one transmission line long enough to be 90 degrees out of phase with the other line giving the RHCP or LHCP antenna.
βL1-βL2 = ∏/2

1. What is a RHCP signal and LHCP receiver?

A RHCP (Right-Hand Circularly Polarized) signal is a type of electromagnetic wave that rotates in a clockwise direction. A LHCP (Left-Hand Circularly Polarized) receiver is a device that is designed to detect and process RHCP signals.

2. How does a RHCP signal interact with a LHCP receiver?

A RHCP signal is transmitted in a circular motion and when it reaches a LHCP receiver, it will interact with the receiver's circularly polarized antenna. The receiver's antenna is designed to receive RHCP signals and filter out any other signals.

3. What are the benefits of using a LHCP receiver to detect RHCP signals?

Using a LHCP receiver to detect RHCP signals allows for a more efficient and accurate reception of the signal. This is because the receiver is specifically designed to receive and process RHCP signals, reducing the risk of interference from other signals.

4. Can a RHCP signal be received by a LHCP receiver if it is not directly aligned?

In most cases, a RHCP signal can still be received by a LHCP receiver even if it is not directly aligned. This is because the receiver's antenna is designed to receive signals from multiple angles. However, the strength and quality of the received signal may be affected if the alignment is not optimal.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a LHCP receiver for RHCP signals?

One potential limitation of using a LHCP receiver for RHCP signals is that it may not be as effective in environments with high levels of interference or signal distortion. Additionally, LHCP receivers may be more expensive and complex to manufacture compared to receivers that can detect multiple types of signals.