Finding Thermal Coefficient

In summary: The individual Young's modulus and thermal expansion coefficients are also known. The question is whether the volume fractions can be determined without the overall density of the composite. The answer is no, unless the mass fractions of the materials are known.
ravenscroft
I need a question answered. If given the density of 2 materials in a composite, the fibres & the matrix, but not the over all density of the composite, how can one go about finding the thermal expansion coefficient, alpha of the composite? I have Youngs modulus, density of each individual material, & α's of each material. I can use Turners Formula when i have have the volume fraction, but can I get those (the volume fractions) without the overall density of the composite?
Thanks for any help or insight.

Engineering news on Phys.org
ravenscroft said:
I need a question answered. If given the density of 2 materials in a composite, the fibres & the matrix, but not the over all density of the composite, how can one go about finding the thermal expansion coefficient, alpha of the composite? I have Youngs modulus, density of each individual material, & α's of each material. I can use Turners Formula when i have have the volume fraction, but can I get those (the volume fractions) without the overall density of the composite?
Thanks for any help or insight.
You obviously can't do it if you don't know the volume fraction, and, as you said, you can't get that unless you know the density of the composite. By any chance, do you have some idea of the layout of the materials in the cross section, or the proportions of the materials that were combined to make the composite (i.e., the mass fractions of the materials)? If you know the mass fractions, then you know the composite density and the volume fractions.

Chet

1. What is the thermal coefficient of a material?

The thermal coefficient, also known as the thermal expansion coefficient, is a measure of how much a material will expand or contract in response to changes in temperature. It is expressed in units of length per unit temperature (e.g. 1/°C).

2. How is the thermal coefficient determined?

The thermal coefficient is determined by measuring the change in a material's dimensions over a range of temperatures. This data is then used to calculate the coefficient, which is specific to each material.

3. Why is the thermal coefficient important?

The thermal coefficient is important because it helps to predict how a material will behave under different temperature conditions. This information is crucial for designing and constructing structures and systems that can withstand temperature changes without compromising their structural integrity.

4. What factors can affect the thermal coefficient of a material?

The thermal coefficient of a material can be affected by various factors, such as the chemical composition, crystal structure, and processing methods of the material. It can also vary depending on the direction of measurement and the temperature range being considered.

5. How can the thermal coefficient be used in practical applications?

The thermal coefficient is used in a wide range of practical applications, such as in the design of bridges, buildings, and pipelines to ensure they can withstand temperature changes without significant damage. It is also important in the production of electronic devices, where precise thermal expansion properties are necessary for proper functioning.