Vacuum Pump & Setup for 20-25cm Cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses the appropriateness of asking questions about personal projects on a forum, followed by a request for advice on maintaining a medium vacuum in a cylindrical container. The desired vacuum level is 1-10 pascals and the person is seeking recommendations for a vacuum pump and other necessary equipment. They also mention being new to working with vacuum pumps and provide a helpful resource for getting started.
Prawn Nebula
To begin, I'm not sure if this is the right subforum for my question, and whether questions like this, in particular, questions about the details of personal projects, are allowed on this forum. Being new to this forum, if I have made any mistake in this regard, I apologize in advance, and will be willing to adapt my question if necessary.

Setting that aside, I have recently begun looking into a project that involves maintaining a medium vacuum in a cylindrical container (most likely a bell jar) roughly 20-25cm on all sides. I would like to achieve a vacuum of 1–10 pascals (7.5–75 millitorr). Have any of you had particular experience with setups like these, and if so, what vacuum pump do you think would be best used for this particular situation? I have never worked with vacuum pumps before, so I am a bit naive about vacuum pump brands, tubing for such pumps, and the containers themselves.

Physics news on Phys.org
UltrafastPED said:
This will get you started: http://www.belljar.net/basics.htm

The website was very informative and helpful. Thank you very much.

1. What is a vacuum pump and how does it work?

A vacuum pump is a device that removes gas molecules from a sealed container, creating a partial vacuum. It works by using a mechanism, such as a piston or rotary vane, to create a low pressure area which causes gas molecules to move from the container into the pump. The gas is then expelled from the pump through an exhaust port, leaving a space with lower pressure inside the container.

2. What is the purpose of a vacuum pump in a 20-25cm cylinder setup?

In a 20-25cm cylinder setup, a vacuum pump is used to create a low pressure environment inside the cylinder. This is important for experiments that require a controlled atmosphere, such as growing crystals or conducting chemical reactions. The vacuum pump helps to remove any unwanted gases or particles from the container, allowing for more precise and accurate results.

3. How do I choose the right vacuum pump for a 20-25cm cylinder setup?

When choosing a vacuum pump for a 20-25cm cylinder setup, it is important to consider the volume of the container, the desired level of vacuum, and the type of experiments that will be conducted. Typically, a rotary vane pump or a diaphragm pump is recommended for this size of cylinder setup, as they are both efficient and reliable.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using a vacuum pump with a 20-25cm cylinder setup?

Yes, there are some safety concerns to keep in mind when using a vacuum pump with a 20-25cm cylinder setup. The most important thing to remember is to always follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety guidelines. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the pump to ensure proper functioning and to prevent accidents or malfunctions.

5. Can a vacuum pump be used for other purposes besides a 20-25cm cylinder setup?

Yes, a vacuum pump can be used for various purposes besides a 20-25cm cylinder setup. It is commonly used in chemistry and physics experiments, as well as in industries such as food packaging, medical technology, and semiconductor manufacturing. It can also be used for household purposes, such as vacuum sealing food or removing air from storage bags.