Is Delta H of formation the same for NH4NO3 Aqueous and in Solid Form?

In summary, for a Chemistry project involving Hess' Law, the user is trying to find the Delta H of a reaction involving HCl, NH4OH, NH4Cl, and H2O. They are unsure if the individual reactions are valid and if they can use Hess' Law to cancel an aqueous and solid version of NH4NO3. The user should take into account the enthalpy of solution and refer to reliable sources for values.
member 508213
I am doing a project in Chemistry and I need to use Hess' Law to cancel two equations and if in one equation the NH4NO3 is solid and in the second one the NH4NO3 is aqueous.

The equations are:
1: NH4NO3 (s) + HCl (aq) --> HNO3 (aq) + NH4Cl (aq)
2: NH4OH (s) + HNO3 (aq) --> H2O (l) + NH4NO3 (aq)

I will find the heat of reaction for both of these reactions and use those values and Hess' law to find the Delta H of this reaction:

HCl (aq) + NH4OH (s) --> NH4Cl (aq) + H2O (l)I am wondering if these procedure will work because I created this myself for the project we are doing and I don't know:

1. Whether these individual reactions work
2. Whether they add up to the overall reaction and whether that reaction even works.

The part that is getting me stuck up is whether I can use Hess' law to cancel and aqueous version of NH4NO3 with a solid version.

Your knowledge and advice is much appreciated!
Thank you!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You have to take into account the enthalpy of solution. The Wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enthalpy_change_of_solution lists a few values, including that for ammonium nitrate.

[Edit: I don't know why I focussed on ammonium nitrate, which is not what you asked about. See Borek's much better answer.]

Last edited:
No such thing as solid NH4OH.

1. What is Delta H of formation?

Delta H of formation, also known as the heat of formation, is the change in enthalpy that occurs when a compound is formed from its constituent elements in their standard states at a given temperature and pressure.

2. How is Delta H of formation calculated?

Delta H of formation is calculated by subtracting the sum of the enthalpies of the reactants from the sum of the enthalpies of the products. The values for the enthalpies of each element in its standard state can be found in a thermodynamic table.

3. Is Delta H of formation the same for NH4NO3 in aqueous and solid form?

No, Delta H of formation can vary depending on the physical state of the compound. For example, NH4NO3 in aqueous form will have a different Delta H of formation than in solid form.

4. Why does the physical state affect Delta H of formation?

The physical state of a compound can affect the intermolecular forces and energy required for the compound to reach its standard state. This can lead to differences in enthalpy values.

5. How is Delta H of formation used in chemistry?

Delta H of formation is used to calculate the enthalpy change in a chemical reaction. It can also be used to determine the stability of a compound and its potential for energy release.