Why do lattices have an energy *band* ?

In summary, the energy levels of electrons in atoms can differ slightly due to the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two electrons can share the same quantum state. In a crystal lattice, the atoms are close enough that the allowed energy levels change and blur into bands, with the most lightly bound states being the valence band and the lower energy states being the conduction band. This leads to different types of solids, such as metals, insulators, and semiconductors, depending on the overlap of these bands. This can be better understood by examining atom-to-atom coupling equations in mechanical or electrical domains.
Amerez
My understanding of the atomic structure is that electrons can gain energy in quantas, so that's why we have orbitals with sharply defined energy around the nucleus.
One would logically think that every atom of the same element has the exact same orbitals with the exact same energy of orbital as the next atom, but as it turns out similar orbitals differ slightly from atom to atom. That's why when atoms join to form a lattice the orbitals join each other, get dense and form a band not a single big orbital.
So, why do similar orbitals in different atoms of the lattice have slightly different energy?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Possible energy levels (quantas) are derived from Schroedinger's equation. The equation has a dependence on the distribution of potential energy. In a lonely atom this is fairly simple. If an electron is further from the nucleus it will have more potential energy. Solutions to Schroedinger's equation will yield simple orbits in this case.

In a crystal, or any kind of solid, the distribution of potential energy gets complex because electrons can be attracted the nuclei of more than one atom since neighboring atoms are close. Now the solution to the Schroedinger equation will yield bands of possible energy states for the electrons. In some cases there will also be dead zones between bands where there is no possible energy level for an electron to occupy. It's called the band gap. In some cases it takes plenty of energy to get an electron to jump that gap into a state where it can conduct current. That makes the solid an insulator. In some cases it only takes moderate energy to jump the gap. This is a semiconductor. In metals there is no dead zone between conducting and non-conducting states for electrons. For semiconductors, thermal energy will cause electrons to randomly jump into states where they can conduct current across the solid.

While Okefenokee's response is correct, I don't think it answers the question, namely:

Amerez said:
So, why do similar orbitals in different atoms of the lattice have slightly different energy?

The answer is simply the Pauli exclusion principle. This principle states that no two fermions (such as electrons) can share the same quantum state. In a gas this isn't an issue since free electrons (if there are any) are not co-located.

In a crystal lattice, however, the atoms are very close and it turns out as you bring atoms closer and closer their allowed energy (quantum levels) change very slightly so that they are not identical to another nearby electron. With just two or a few electrons you would see the possible energy states of the electrons in the outer shell of the atoms bifurcate into a few lines. Bring together enormous numbers of electrons like in a solid and now these discrete lines kind of blur into bands.

We call these blurred collections of quantum states "energy bands". We call the most lightly bound states in the outer shell the valence band and the lower energy "free" states the conduction band. If the bands overlap, the solid is a metal. If they are far apart, the solid is an insulator. If the bands are close, but not overlapping (close meaning within a few eV or so), the material is a semiconductor. In a nutshell this is the quantum theory of solids.

Likes 1 person
analogdesign said:
While Okefenokee's response is correct, I don't think it answers the question, namely:

The answer is simply the Pauli exclusion principle. This principle states that no two fermions (such as electrons) can share the same quantum state. In a gas this isn't an issue since free electrons (if there are any) are not co-located.

In a crystal lattice, however, the atoms are very close and it turns out as you bring atoms closer and closer their allowed energy (quantum levels) change very slightly so that they are not identical to another nearby electron. With just two or a few electrons you would see the possible energy states of the electrons in the outer shell of the atoms bifurcate into a few lines. Bring together enormous numbers of electrons like in a solid and now these discrete lines kind of blur into bands.

We call these blurred collections of quantum states "energy bands". We call the most lightly bound states in the outer shell the valence band and the lower energy "free" states the conduction band. If the bands overlap, the solid is a metal. If they are far apart, the solid is an insulator. If the bands are close, but not overlapping (close meaning within a few eV or so), the material is a semiconductor. In a nutshell this is the quantum theory of solids.

Right on! This is what I was trying to understand but to no avail after two days of googling!
Thanks!

Amerez said:
Right on! This is what I was trying to understand but to no avail after two days of googling!
Thanks!

There is a lot to be said for studying Physics from a Text Book which tends to present things in a (universally accepted) suitable order. Pauli comes way before Solid State Physics (For me there was at least a year in between. It is risky to pick your way (via Google) through Physics, from place to place, in topics that you find entertaining and 'easy'. It is a great temptation to do that, I know but you need all the shots in your locker when you move on to the next step.

The most intuitive explanation is to understand atom-to-atom coupling equations in mechanical or electrical domains. You don't strictly need to grok Schrödinger's per se except to know it's a wave equation that has "solutions" that can be polynomials of some form.

If you have one atom, you get the discrete energy levels everyone learns in physics class such as the classic spectra. When you have two atoms interacting/coupling, the solutions to these "split" into two energy solutions.

This is akin to how linear equations give you one solution but quadratic equations give you two solutions with a ± relationship (remember this in the quadratic solution).

As you add more N atoms, you get N split energy levels. The solution is effectively an Nth order polynomial so there are N-1 ± splits occurring. As N approaches Avogradro's number, these split levels become so dense they are simply called "bands". Strictly the levels are explicitly discrete but so numerous they act effectively like a continuous band of energy levels.

Likes Amerez
sophiecentaur said:
There is a lot to be said for studying Physics from a Text Book which tends to present things in a (universally accepted) suitable order. Pauli comes way before Solid State Physics (For me there was at least a year in between. It is risky to pick your way (via Google) through Physics, from place to place, in topics that you find entertaining and 'easy'. It is a great temptation to do that, I know but you need all the shots in your locker when you move on to the next step.

I'm not studying from Google I'm just using it as a supplement to find answers to holes in formal textbooks (there are astounding holes BTW). I'm formally studying electrical engineering at the university. I very much agree with you that a correct basis in science is only attainable from textbooks and a correct curriculum

jsgruszynski said:
The most intuitive explanation is to understand atom-to-atom coupling equations in mechanical or electrical domains. You don't strictly need to grok Schrödinger's per se except to know it's a wave equation that has "solutions" that can be polynomials of some form.

If you have one atom, you get the discrete energy levels everyone learns in physics class such as the classic spectra. When you have two atoms interacting/coupling, the solutions to these "split" into two energy solutions.

This is akin to how linear equations give you one solution but quadratic equations give you two solutions with a ± relationship (remember this in the quadratic solution).

As you add more N atoms, you get N split energy levels. The solution is effectively an Nth order polynomial so there are N-1 ± splits occurring. As N approaches Avogradro's number, these split levels become so dense they are simply called "bands". Strictly the levels are explicitly discrete but so numerous they act effectively like a continuous band of energy levels.

Thank you very much for this. My reply is now late but back at the time when I first read it it clarified things even futher

1. Why do lattices have an energy band?

Lattices have an energy band because of the periodic arrangement of atoms or molecules in a crystal structure. This periodicity creates a repeating potential energy landscape that affects the behavior of electrons in the material.

2. How does the energy band in a lattice form?

The energy band in a lattice forms due to the interactions between atoms or molecules in the crystal structure. These interactions result in the formation of allowed energy levels, known as energy bands, where electrons can exist within the lattice.

3. What is the significance of the energy band in a lattice?

The energy band in a lattice is significant because it helps to explain the electrical, thermal, and optical properties of materials. By understanding the energy band, we can predict how a material will behave under different conditions and how it will interact with other materials.

4. Can the energy band in a lattice be manipulated?

Yes, the energy band in a lattice can be manipulated through various methods such as doping, applying external electric or magnetic fields, or by changing the temperature. These methods can shift the energy levels within the band, altering the material's properties.

5. How does band structure affect a material's conductivity?

The band structure of a material directly affects its conductivity. In an insulator, the energy band is completely filled, making it difficult for electrons to move and thus resulting in low conductivity. In contrast, in a conductor, the energy band is partially filled, allowing for easier movement of electrons and a higher conductivity.