What is the recipe for My Dad's Shrimp, Crab & Oyster Gumbo?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, My Dad's Shrimp, Crab & Oyster Gumbo contains onion, butter, flour, chicken broth, tomatoes, parsley, thyme, garlic, bay leaves, shrimp, crab meat, oysters, and gumbo file powder. It takes one hour to prepare and has a chocolate glaze.
Smoked Chicken

I`v always loved smoked chicken but find it very expensive, so yesterday i had a go at smoking my own, and since i haven`t given my self food poisoning i thought i`d share with you exactly what i did.

For this you will need

a BBQ with a lid (not essential but you must be able to at least cover the BBQ with foil do not seal completely you need to allow some of the smoke out!).

Some oak chippings soaked in water for at least an hour.

Light BBQ, wait for the coals to turn white and start to cool (if they are too hot then they dry the chipping out too quickly and you end up roasting the chicken).

Place chicken in BBQ and seal, leave for 2hours for a small bird longer for a larger one.

Once smoked remove and enjoy.

It was soo easy and soo nice.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
zanazzi78 said:
I`v always loved smoked chicken but find it very expensive, so yesterday i had a go at smoking my own, and since i haven`t given my self food poisoning i thought i`d share with you exactly what i did.

Zanazzi, could this method be used for fish?

Yes, you can do fish that way, but be careful, this is not considered "smoked" as in "preserved", it's just cooking with smoke to impart a smoked flavor.

Evo said:
Yes, you can do fish that way, but be careful, this is not considered "smoked" as in "preserved", it's just cooking with smoke to impart a smoked flavor.

Thanks Evo.

I have just invented cheese cake not the sweet sort, an ordinary cake mix
only with blue cheese in it, i just made an ordinary cake batter with no sugar
an put blue cheese and some spice in, it is lovely.

wolram said:
Thanks Evo.

I have just invented cheese cake not the sweet sort, an ordinary cake mix
only with blue cheese in it, i just made an ordinary cake batter with no sugar
an put blue cheese and some spice in, it is lovely.

You seem to have an abundance of blue cheese. Blue cheese is very expensive here, and when I treat myself to some, I would never dare ruin it by mixing it into a cake. I'm having trouble imagining that as something that would taste good, but I'm also having trouble imagining cake without sugar, so that's probably why it is so hard to contemplate. What inspired you to try mixing blue cheese into your cake mix?

Moonbear said:
You seem to have an abundance of blue cheese. Blue cheese is very expensive here, and when I treat myself to some, I would never dare ruin it by mixing it into a cake. I'm having trouble imagining that as something that would taste good, but I'm also having trouble imagining cake without sugar, so that's probably why it is so hard to contemplate. What inspired you to try mixing blue cheese into your cake mix?

I am not keen on sweet stuff so i invent my own savories, some times they
turn out :yuck: but now and then i have success, the cheese cake is nice
and you can use any strong cheese, i put half tea spoon of paprica and a
good pinch of salt in the mix, try it you will be amazed :biggrin:

wolram said:
I am not keen on sweet stuff so i invent my own savories, some times they
turn out :yuck: but now and then i have success, the cheese cake is nice
and you can use any strong cheese, i put half tea spoon of paprica and a
good pinch of salt in the mix, try it you will be amazed :biggrin:

How much cheese did you add? I can imagine it tasting good with cheddar or parmesan or a number of other cheeses, but blue cheese is just eluding my imagination. But, as you say, I just need to try it. In under 2 weeks, I'll be in my new home and can think about re-stocking the kitchen (right now I'm not trying anything new, just using up everything currently in my freezer so I don't have to try to move frozen foods and keep them frozen in hot summer weather).

Moonbear said:
How much cheese did you add? I can imagine it tasting good with cheddar or parmesan or a number of other cheeses, but blue cheese is just eluding my imagination. But, as you say, I just need to try it. In under 2 weeks, I'll be in my new home and can think about re-stocking the kitchen (right now I'm not trying anything new, just using up everything currently in my freezer so I don't have to try to move frozen foods and keep them frozen in hot summer weather).

I used about 2oz blue cheese to 4 cups flour and two std eggs

And i hope the move goes well, i have heard some horrendous stories.

Chinese cabbage is one of my favorite vegetables (like Kim chee), here is a stir fry recipe:

Cut the cabbage into inch sized strips.
Dissolve 1 tsp of sugar in 1 tbsp of (rice)vinegar
Cut about an inch of fresh ginger root in small pieces
Same with a garlic clove
Heat oil in wok, add ginger, then the cabbage, stir fry for a few minutes
Add garlic, the sweetened vinegar, salt and ve-tsin (salty, chinese style)
Keep the vegetable crisp, don't over cook, do add some water to dress the cabbage (for over the rice).
I like to drissle some shaosing rice wine over the dish once it is served, for a little extra flavour kick.

Monique said:
Chinese cabbage is one of my favorite vegetables (like Kim chee), here is a stir fry recipe:

Cut the cabbage into inch sized strips.
Dissolve 1 tsp of sugar in 1 tbsp of (rice)vinegar
Cut about an inch of fresh ginger root in small pieces
Same with a garlic clove
Heat oil in wok, add ginger, then the cabbage, stir fry for a few minutes
Add garlic, the sweetened vinegar, salt and ve-tsin (salty, chinese style)
Keep the vegetable crisp, don't over cook, do add some water to dress the cabbage (for over the rice).
I like to drissle some shaosing rice wine over the dish once it is served, for a little extra flavour kick.
mmmmm, yummy!

I think you missed where I had asked you to post some of your great recipes here, like your kim chee one.

wolram said:
I used about 2oz blue cheese to 4 cups flour and two std eggs

Ooh, you even gave the measures in cups so I don't have to guess at how many grams of flour are in a cup. :biggrin: Can I use eggs without STDs though? I rather prefer them without. :rofl:

And i hope the move goes well, i have heard some horrendous stories.
Thanks. I just want it to be over now. I still have a list of things to get done, like having all the utilities turned off here, but at least I have them arranged to be turned on where I'm going, which is more important to have done in advance. Got out the address change cards to all my friends and relatives today, still need to notify the post-office though, and all my credit card companies. :yuck: It's a little weird that my stuff and I are not traveling together, so in the next week, I need to sort out what all my essentials will be for about a week in case it takes a few days for my stuff to arrive and then need to figure out where to put it that it's easy to let the movers know to NOT pack it. I might just start packing it into my car early, keep an overnight bag handy and order take-out for a few days rather than fuss over kitchen stuff. I can always take a saucepan and spoon and survive on soup.

Oh, that reminds me, I need to dig out my post-it notes...my plan is to stick notes on things that need special instructions like "don't pack" or that doesn't have a corresponding room in the new place (I'm moving from a 4 bedroom house with a dining room and family room to a 3 bedroom townhome without a formal dining room...it's more of an eat-in kitchen than dining room, but located in a way that it could be used for either purpose, so there's one bedroom's worth of furniture that will be split between storage in the garage, being added to the sparse furnishings in the second bedroom, and one dresser that I'm going to use as a buffet in the dining area instead of as a dresser...the last thing I want them to do is move that dresser up to the top floor and then have to drag it back down to the main floor).

Enough rambling, I'll stop for now (I tend to talk a lot when I'm starting to get stressed about stuff).

Evo said:
mmmmm, yummy!

I think you missed where I had asked you to post some of your great recipes here, like your kim chee one.
Actually I did notice that one, that's why I thought I'd post that cabbage recipe here :biggrin:

Here's the Kim chee one again:

1 large head chinese cabbage
Salt
4 green onions (including tops)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 dried hot red chili (about 2" long), crushed
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated

1.) Cut cabbage into pieces, 1-inch long and 1-inch wide.
2.) Sprinkle 2 Tbs salt on cabbage, mix well, and let stand 15 minutes.
3.) Cut green onions in 1-1/2 inch lengths, then cut lengthwise in thin
slices. Wash salted cabbage three times with cold water. Add the onions,
garlic, chili, ginger, 1 Tbs salt and enough water to cover. Mix well.
Cover and let stand for a few days.
4.) Taste mixture every day. When it is acid enough, cover and refigerate
up to 2 weeks. Makes about 1 quart.

I bought half a kilo of Kim chee at the chinese store last week and treat myself every night with half a bowl as a snack :biggrin: soooo incredibly yummy :!)

By Moonbear Enough rambling, I'll stop for now (I tend to talk a lot when I'm starting to get stressed about stuff).
Aww stop fussing the worst that can happen is your stuff gets lost or broken.
Only kidding. :rofl:

Hotdog tacos - the only taco I haven't tried.

For Ivan and Tsu.

Wild Turkey deeeee-lite.
2 c. cubed Wild Turkey
1 c. cooked wild rice{cooled}
1 c. seedless grapes
1 (8 oz.) can pineapple chunks
1 c. diced celery
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1/2 c. plain yogurt
1 tsp. curry powder
1/2 c. dry roasted cashew nuts
Endive or other salad greens

Combine turkey, grapes, pineapple, celery and cooled rice.

Blend mayonnaise, sour cream and curry powder, then pour it over turkey mix; chill.

Just before serving add cashews, serve on a bed of lettice.

Any one have a recipe for beef chili, nice and hot? please.

hypatia said:
For Ivan and Tsu.

Wild Turkey deeeee-lite.
2 c. cubed Wild Turkey
1 c. cooked wild rice{cooled}
1 c. seedless grapes
1 (8 oz.) can pineapple chunks
1 c. diced celery
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1/2 c. plain yogurt
1 tsp. curry powder
1/2 c. dry roasted cashew nuts
Endive or other salad greens

Combine turkey, grapes, pineapple, celery and cooled rice.

Blend mayonnaise, sour cream and curry powder, then pour it over turkey mix; chill.

Just before serving add cashews, serve on a bed of lettice.

Thanks hypatia. I have been wondering how many turkeys we may have before this is over. Just one question: How do you catch the turkey? Grandpa always said that a bird is easier to catch if you put salt on its tail first. Should I try this?

Btw, my recipe for bird's nest soup [I think in the Joy of Cooking book] explains how to climb a cliff to find the proper sort of nest. :rofl: Now that would take a really dedicated cook!

wolram said:
Any one have a recipe for beef chili, nice and hot? please.

Red Chili Nightmare

1 c Pinto beans,dried
5 c Water
2 T Lard
1 T Bacon drippings
1 Onion
12 oz Pork sausage,country-style
1 lb Beef,coarse grind
4 Garlic cloves
1 t Anise
1/2 t Coriander seeds
1/2 t Fennel seeds
1/2 t Cloves,ground
1 Cinnamon stick,ground,1"
1 t Black pepper,freshly ground
1 t Paprika
1 Nutmeg,ground,whole
1 t Cumin
2 t Oregano,dried,pref. Mexican
4 T Sesame seeds
1 c Almonds,blanched,skins remov
12 Red chiles,whole dried or
1 1/2 c Chile caribe
1 1/2 oz Milk chocolate,small pieces
1 cn Tomato paste(6oz ea)
2 T Vinegar
3 t Lemon juice
1 Soft tortilla,chopped
Salt
optional: 97 Habaneros

Instructions

1. Place the rinsed beans in a bowl, add 2 to 3 cups of water and soak overnight. Check the beans occasionally and add water as necessary to keep them moist.

2. Pour the beans and the water in which they were soaked into a heavy saucepan and add 2 to 3 more cups of water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then lower heat and simmer, partially covered, for about 45 minutes, until the beans are cooked but still firm. Check occasionally and add water if necessary. Drain the beans, reserving the cooking liquid.

3. Melt the lard in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the beans and lightly fry them in the lard. Set aside.

4. Melt the drippings in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until it is translucent.

5. Combine the sausage and the beef with all the spices up through the oregano. Add this meat-and-spice mixture to the pot with the onion. Break up any lumps with a fork and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is very well browned.

6. Add the reserved bean-cooking liquid to the pot. Stir in all the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and cook, uncovered, for 1/2 hour longer. Stir occasionally. Add water only if necessary to maintain the consistency of a chunky soup.

7. Taste when curiosity becomes unbearable and courage is strong. Adjust seasonings.

http://www.ichef.com/recipe.cfm?filterid=recipecategoryid&letter=all&recipecategoryid=43&task=categorysearch

Last edited by a moderator:
optional: 97 Habaneros, Aww Ivan i wanted a hot chili :biggrin:

wolram said:
Aww stop fussing the worst that can happen is your stuff gets lost or broken.
Only kidding. :rofl:
:rofl: That's actually not what has me stressed. As one of my friends put it, that would be the best thing to happen, then I'd get the insurance money and could go out and buy all new stuff. :biggrin: My computer and coffee maker go with me, those are essentials I couldn't live a day without. Everything else is replaceable.

It's more the long list of things I still need to do and am quickly running out of time to get done. Mostly it's labwork related stuff. Unlike past moves where I had months to wrap up projects or pass them on to someone new, this time, all the experiments I'm working on are moving with me, so it's just an added level of complexity to the moving process that I haven't had to deal with before.

Anyway, I'm really glad Evo posted that hummus recipe! I've been practically living on that stuff lately. It takes about 5 minutes to prepare and I have several days of snacking out of it to keep my energy up. I did cut back on the garlic after the first batch (the recipe called for 4 cloves, I put 8 into the first batch...it was delicious, and I certainly had no fear of vampires while eating it, but I'm afraid I may have smelled somewhat offensive to those around me, so this time I cut it back to 5 cloves, and I think it's more reasonable now).

Moonbear said:
Anyway, I'm really glad Evo posted that hummus recipe! I've been practically living on that stuff lately.
I think I'm going to try making that tomorrow! :approve:

Monique said:

I'll have to point that out to Tsu. We love hummus!

Wolram, here is one of my favorite chili recipes.

WICK FOWLER'S CHILI
Yield: 8 servings
Heat Scale: Hot

Nowadays it's easy to re-create the chili that Wick used in the first cook-off against H. Allen Smith--just buy some of the famous Wick Fowler 2-Alarm Chili Mix. Or, you can follow the recipe below, which chili legend holds is Wick's original version that he cooked in Terlingua in 1967. Remember to remove the Japanese chiles and the chilipiquins before serving. If this chili is too hot, Wick recommended drinking a pint of buttermilk.

3 pounds chili-grind beef, mostly lean
1 1/2 cups canned tomato sauce
Water as needed
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
3 heaping tablespoons chile powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cumin powder
2 onions, chopped
6 or more cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 tablespoon paprika
12 or more whole dried Japanese chiles (very hot)
6 to 8 chilipiquins (very, very hot)
3 tablespoons flour for thickener

Sear the meat in a large skillet until gray in color. Transfer the meat to a chili pot, along with the tomato sauce and enough water to cover the meat about ½ inch, mixing well. Stir in the Tabasco, chili powder, oregano, cumin, onions, garlic, salt, cayenne, and paprika. Add the Japanese chiles and chilipiquins, taking care not to break them open. Let simmer for 1 hour and 45 minutes, stirring gently at intervals.

About 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time, skim off any grease that has risen to the top. Mix the flour with a little water to make it liquid without lumps. Add this paste to ingredients in the pot and blend in thoroughly. Adjust salt and seasonings. Unless you are chili hungry at the moment, let the chili remain in the pot overnight, then reheat and serve. Freeze any chili left over. Serve with sliced or chopped onions and pinto beans on the side

edit: Since I prefer to have skin on my lips after eating chili, I leave out the Japanese chiles and chilipiquins. Sometimes I add a bay leaf and a bottle of beer for a change.

Last edited:
Monique said:
She had non-specific instructions to reduce the amount of tahini from what the recipe calls for. I found it tastes really good with 1/2 c of tahini (sorry, don't have the metric conversion on hand at the moment), and I used the juice from one whole large lemon, which is a little more than the recipe calls for, but it'll spare you from dirtying another measuring cup. The recipe says to add 1/2 c of water too (I think that's how much it said). I would suggest adding the water gradually until you get the texture you like. I like hummus nice and thick for dipping pita bread in, so only used about 1/4 c of water and it came out just right for my preferences.

Ivan Seeking said:
Red Chili Nightmare

12 Red chiles,whole dried or ...
optional: 97 Habaneros
Hmm...that might just be spicy enough for my taste. :devil: That sounds like a fantastic recipe! I wonder if any of the people I'll be working with in WV have an asbestos tongue like I have...otherwise I'll be eating chili for months if I made a recipe like that all for myself!

7. Taste when curiosity becomes unbearable and courage is strong.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Monique said:
Actually I did notice that one, that's why I thought I'd post that cabbage recipe here :biggrin:

Here's the Kim chee one again:

1 large head chinese cabbage
Salt
4 green onions (including tops)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 dried hot red chili (about 2" long), crushed
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated

1.) Cut cabbage into pieces, 1-inch long and 1-inch wide.
2.) Sprinkle 2 Tbs salt on cabbage, mix well, and let stand 15 minutes.
3.) Cut green onions in 1-1/2 inch lengths, then cut lengthwise in thin
slices. Wash salted cabbage three times with cold water. Add the onions,
garlic, chili, ginger, 1 Tbs salt and enough water to cover. Mix well.
Cover and let stand for a few days.
4.) Taste mixture every day. When it is acid enough, cover and refigerate
up to 2 weeks. Makes about 1 quart.

I bought half a kilo of Kim chee at the chinese store last week and treat myself every night with half a bowl as a snack :biggrin: soooo incredibly yummy :!)
I'm making some this weekend, thanks Monique!

Evo said:
Wolram, here is one of my favorite chili recipes.

WICK FOWLER'S CHILI
Yield: 8 servings
Heat Scale: Hot

Nowadays it's easy to re-create the chili that Wick used in the first cook-off against H. Allen Smith--just buy some of the famous Wick Fowler 2-Alarm Chili Mix. Or, you can follow the recipe below, which chili legend holds is Wick's original version that he cooked in Terlingua in 1967. Remember to remove the Japanese chiles and the chilipiquins before serving. If this chili is too hot, Wick recommended drinking a pint of buttermilk.

3 pounds chili-grind beef, mostly lean
1 1/2 cups canned tomato sauce
Water as needed
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
3 heaping tablespoons chile powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cumin powder
2 onions, chopped
6 or more cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 tablespoon paprika
12 or more whole dried Japanese chiles (very hot)
6 to 8 chilipiquins (very, very hot)
3 tablespoons flour for thickener

Sear the meat in a large skillet until gray in color. Transfer the meat to a chili pot, along with the tomato sauce and enough water to cover the meat about ½ inch, mixing well. Stir in the Tabasco, chili powder, oregano, cumin, onions, garlic, salt, cayenne, and paprika. Add the Japanese chiles and chilipiquins, taking care not to break them open. Let simmer for 1 hour and 45 minutes, stirring gently at intervals.

About 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time, skim off any grease that has risen to the top. Mix the flour with a little water to make it liquid without lumps. Add this paste to ingredients in the pot and blend in thoroughly. Adjust salt and seasonings. Unless you are chili hungry at the moment, let the chili remain in the pot overnight, then reheat and serve. Freeze any chili left over. Serve with sliced or chopped onions and pinto beans on the side

edit: Since I prefer to have skin on my lips after eating chili, I leave out the Japanese chiles and chilipiquins. Sometimes I add a bay leaf and a bottle of beer for a change.

I know chili is better when it has matured but i couldn't resist a serving
for that long, and i will have plenty to save :biggrin:

BY Moonbear Anyway, I'm really glad Evo posted that hummus recipe! I've been practically living on that stuff lately. It takes about 5 minutes to prepare and I have several days of snacking out of it to keep my energy up. I did cut back on the garlic after the first batch (the recipe called for 4 cloves, I put 8 into the first batch...it was delicious, and I certainly had no fear of vampires while eating it, but I'm afraid I may have smelled somewhat offensive to those around me, so this time I cut it back to 5 cloves, and I think it's more reasonable now).

Do you not know that is a myth spread by vampires ,they love garlic and want their take aways ready flavoured.

wolram said:
Do you not know that is a myth spread by vampires ,they love garlic and want their take aways ready flavoured.
And all this time I thought they stayed away because of all the garlic I ate. Now I learn they just don't like me. :cry:

Moonbear said:
And all this time I thought they stayed away because of all the garlic I ate. Now I learn they just don't like me. :cry:

I am sure it is the Humus keeping them away, they like carnivores best, which
reminds me, i saw an article about the best way to cook meat, it said, Take
a blow torch and seer the meat all round,then cook for a very long time in low
oven 120F i think, ever cooked meat that way?

I was checking my book for a marinade that we have used and found that interesting section in TJOC.

Beaver Tail
Hold over open flame until the rough skin blisters. Remove from heat. When cool, peel off skin and roast until tender.

It seems that muskrat goes well with cloves and thyme. Porcupine goes better with onions and pepper. And raccoon is best when stuffed with sweet potato and apple dressing. For stuffed boar's head, be sure to get the head complete with eyes, teeth, and brains in tact! :eek:

Okay, enough of that. :yuck:

This is a great marinade that we have used for beef or pork BBQ; esp kebabs.

1.5 c flat beer
0.5 t salt
2 minced cloves garlic
1 T dry mustard
1 t ground ginger
3 T soy sauce
0.125 t hot pepper sauce [ I used more like 1.0]
2 T honey
4 T marmalade

marinade [in fridge] for 4 hours and then use liberally quantities while on the BBQ

In our neck of the woods we bake hedge hog in clay, when you crack the clay
open the skin is stuck to it, so no skinning needed, it is best cooked in the
embers of an out door wood fire.

wolram said:
I am sure it is the Humus keeping them away, they like carnivores best, which
reminds me, i saw an article about the best way to cook meat, it said, Take
a blow torch and seer the meat all round,then cook for a very long time in low
oven 120F i think, ever cooked meat that way?
Yesterday evening I saw a program about food, part of it was a guy visiting a club serving the best steak in town. Apparently the best way to eat steak is to let 'to die' for 12 weeks (they used the dutch word "besterven", not sure how to translate it), that is three months! :bugeye: they then seered it in a 1900 fahrenheit oven, 1000 celcius.

wolram said:
Zanazzi, could this method be used for fish?

Yep you can smoke just about any thing. I saw a program on tv yesterday where they smoked a bag of muscles!

edit: Ok now i`ve just read Evo`s reply, and she`s already answered the question. I really should read the full thread.

Last edited:
Aged beef has a much stronger flavor, and it is more tender. It has something to do with the structure of collagen, muscle fibers and enzymes. Aged beef is much more expensive, as it has a shorter shelf life. You need to go to specialty stores to get it, or have it shiped to you from a packing house. Many of the worlds best steak houses use only aged beef.