Could Black Holes Survive the Hot Death of the Universe?

In summary, if the current expansion of the universes was to slow down and eventually the universe started to contract ( I know very unlikely but…) would the matter in the universe coalesce into black holes, before the temperature and pressures got so high as to turn matter into pure energy? If some/most would then would these super massive black holes be affected by the temperatures and pressures?That's a tough one, all right.
zanazzi78
I have a question about the hot death model of the end of the universe.

If the current expansion of the universes was to slow down and eventually the universe started to contract ( I know very unlikely but…) would the matter in the universe coalesce into black holes, before the temperature and pressures got so high as to turn matter into pure energy?

If some/most would then would these super massive black holes be affected by the temperatures and pressures?

Space news on Phys.org
That's a tough one, all right. In a collapsing universe, you would still have the illusion that you were at the center of the universe. Some people would find this... unsettling.

In a collapsing universe [at least in principle] spacetime itself would be collapsing. It is difficult to imagine [not to mention calculate] what would happen as the end[?] drew near [aside from it being unpleasant to anything still living]. In the cyclical universe model [at least the model I am most familiar with], another big bang would result.

I`m not talking of time scales close to the big crunch.

Am I correct in thinking that when the universe was 300000 years old photos "broke free" from the radiation and flooded out into the expanding universe, we see this in the COBE and MAP images of the Cosmic background radiation.

Going back to a point approximatly 300000 years before a big crunch, matter density would be comparable so would tempareture. Matter would break down, but we now have black holes, where as they didin`t exist at the start of the universe! could they black holes 'eat' the radiation around them and survive to "the end"?

I`m thinking that the big crunch would never happen. That all matter would fall into black holes and that all black holes would merge leaving behind one single super super massice black hole.

From what I understand if everything in the universe merged into a black hole at that point you would just have the big bang singularity no?

zanazzi78 said:
I`m not talking of time scales close to the big crunch.
Am I correct in thinking that when the universe was 300000 years old photos "broke free" from the radiation and flooded out into the expanding universe, we see this in the COBE and MAP images of the Cosmic background radiation.
Going back to a point approximatly 300000 years before a big crunch, matter density would be comparable so would tempareture. Matter would break down, but we now have black holes, where as they didin`t exist at the start of the universe! could they black holes 'eat' the radiation around them and survive to "the end"?
I`m thinking that the big crunch would never happen. That all matter would fall into black holes and that all black holes would merge leaving behind one single super super massice black hole.

But what you are left with then, is a multitude of Particle Production Factories:

http://www.superstringtheory.com/blackh/blackh3.html

so, there may be some form of 'matter-energy' symmetry "reconfiguration"?

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region of space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape. This occurs when a massive star dies and its core collapses under its own gravity.

2. Can anything ever escape a black hole?

No, once an object crosses the event horizon of a black hole, it is trapped and cannot escape. The event horizon is the point of no return for anything entering a black hole.

3. How do black holes die?

The death of a black hole is still a topic of debate among scientists. Some theories suggest that black holes eventually evaporate due to Hawking radiation, while others propose that they continue to exist indefinitely.

4. What is a "hot death" in relation to black holes?

A "hot death" refers to the potential fate of a black hole that has reached the end of its lifespan. As it evaporates, a black hole will release a burst of high-energy radiation, leading to its eventual disappearance.

5. How do black holes affect their surroundings?

Black holes have a significant impact on their surroundings due to their immense gravitational pull. They can distort space and time, disrupt the orbits of nearby objects, and even influence the formation of galaxies.