Understanding the Bode Plot: Frequency vs. dB

In summary, the x-axis of a Bode plot can be represented by either angular frequency omega or frequency f, while the y-axis is in dB. When plotting on paper, it is typically in logarithmic scale. To set the range on the axis, one can use the system G =(5s + 200)/((s)*(s^2 +4s + 10)*(s^2 + 10s + 150)) and specify the desired range for the x-axis and y-axis.
math&science
Is the x-axis of a Bode plot supposed to be angular frequency omega or just the frequency f? The y-axis is in dB. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Usually when I draw it on paper, I have it in angular frequency [rads/sec] (log scaled). The y-axis is 20 log (|H(jw)|) [dB].

hi, i would like know how to set the range on the axis? for an example i want to plot a nyquist plot with the range of x-axis is from -0.08 to 0.02 and the range of y-axis is from -0.2 to 0.2. (with the system G =(5s + 200)/((s)*(s^2 +4s + 10)*(s^2 + 10s + 150))...

please help me out here if anyone knows how to write in the m.file(MATLAB)...thanks

Welcome to PhysicsForums! For future reference, whenever you have something like this (a somewhat related question that nevertheless does not directly follow from the previous items) you really ought to start a new thread, not resurrect one that's 4 years old!

In any case, take a look in this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=303967

(Second mention in less than 3 hours!)

sorry about that :)

What is a Bode plot?

A Bode plot is a graphical representation of the frequency response of a system. It shows the relationship between the input frequency and the output amplitude in decibels (dB).

What is the purpose of a Bode plot?

The purpose of a Bode plot is to help us understand the behavior of a system in the frequency domain. It allows us to see how the system responds to different frequencies, and to identify any potential issues or limitations.

How is frequency represented on a Bode plot?

Frequency is represented on the x-axis of a Bode plot, usually on a logarithmic scale. This allows us to see a wide range of frequencies on one plot, from very low to very high.

What does the dB scale on a Bode plot represent?

The dB (decibel) scale on a Bode plot represents the logarithmic ratio of the output amplitude to the input amplitude. This scale allows us to easily compare the amplitudes of different frequencies on the same plot.

What information can we gather from a Bode plot?

A Bode plot can provide information about the gain, phase, bandwidth, and stability of a system. It can also help us to identify any resonant frequencies or frequency-dependent characteristics of the system.