Why can't machines be 100 percent efficient?

In summary, machines cannot be 100 percent efficient due to the presence of friction, which results in thermal energy and heat production. Even in the case of superconductors, which have zero resistance to current flow, there is still energy lost in the process of cooling the superconductor. Therefore, it is not possible for any machine to achieve perfect efficiency.
WingZero
Why can't machines be 100 percent efficent[?]

Physics news on Phys.org
Friction

For a heat engine to be 100% efficient, you'd need an infinitely hot heat reservoir, or a cold reservoir at absolute zero -- neither of which is physically realizable.

- Warren

I'm assuming your referring to simple machines like levers, pulleys etc. To elaborate on the last two posts:

friction is a force that acts between any two objects sliding against each other. In all machines there are at least two objects sliding against each other. The friction that is there will do worK while the machine is in use. This work acts at the molecular level causing the atoms and molecules of the two objects to vibrate faster. Faster vibrating molecules means more thermal energy which produces higher temperature.

The thermal energy that is produced (heat) plus the useful work that comes out of the machine together must equal the work put into the machine. THere is no way to make the heat outpu be zero, so therefore less work will come out of the machine than goes in.

Funny you should mention it, i just posted about E. coil in the general dicussion forum and how it amazes me that the torque they produce is almost 100% efficent from the current of protons. Anyways if your referring to heat cycles such as the carnot cycle then the maximum efficency is [tex]\eta=1-T_C/T_H[/tex] where [tex]T_C[/tex] and [tex]T_H[/tex] and the hot and cold reservoirs.

Pretty much once you look at it everything is not as efficent as you want it to be except our bodies storing and using fat. :frown:

Out of curiosity, I realize that a 100% effecient machine is said to be impossible, but how is this principle prooved out in the case of superconductors? A superconducting wire is a machine that transports an ellectric current from one place to another without any loss. On the surface, this sounds like absolute effeciency, so is a supercunductor considered not to be perfectly efficient, or is it considered not to be a machine? If the former, then where is the energy lost, and by what mechanism? I suspect an answer, but would like to hear it from someone else.

The energy "lost" in a superconducting machine is not the superconducting phenomenon itself, rather it is in the energy mechanism(s) utilized to cool the superconductor.
In other words, though a superconductor allows zero-resistance to current flow, it takes dissipative energy(i.e. loss) to create and sustain the event!

Pallidin

Originally posted by FUNKER
Friction

In a frictionless environment, and therefore gravity-less environment, is it possible for a machine to work at 100%, or are there other elements which prevent this?

Originally posted by pallidin
The energy "lost" in a superconducting machine is not the superconducting phenomenon itself, rather it is in the energy mechanism(s) utilized to cool the superconductor.
In other words, though a superconductor allows zero-resistance to current flow, it takes dissipative energy(i.e. loss) to create and sustain the event!

Pallidin

Thanks, that was indeed the answer I suspected.

1. Why can't machines be 100 percent efficient?

Machines cannot be 100 percent efficient due to various factors such as friction, heat loss, and energy conversion limitations. These factors result in some energy being lost during the operation of the machine, making it impossible for it to have a 100 percent efficiency.

2. Is it possible to improve a machine's efficiency?

Yes, it is possible to improve a machine's efficiency through various methods such as reducing friction, improving lubrication, and optimizing energy conversion processes. However, reaching a 100 percent efficiency is still not achievable due to the fundamental laws of thermodynamics.

3. Can new technologies help in achieving 100 percent efficiency?

New technologies can certainly help in improving a machine's efficiency, but they cannot overcome the limitations set by the laws of thermodynamics. Even with advanced technologies, it is not possible for a machine to have a 100 percent efficiency.

4. Are there any real-life examples of 100 percent efficient machines?

No, there are no real-life examples of 100 percent efficient machines. Even the most advanced and well-designed machines have some level of inefficiency due to the factors mentioned earlier. However, some machines may have a higher efficiency compared to others, but they can never reach 100 percent.

5. What is the significance of striving for higher efficiency in machines?

Although 100 percent efficiency is not achievable, striving for higher efficiency in machines is still important. This is because it can lead to significant energy and cost savings, as well as improved performance and productivity. Higher efficiency also means less energy wastage, which is crucial for sustainability and reducing our carbon footprint.