Biology post-glomular blood question

In summary, the conversation is about a thinking assignment given on the excretory system and the concentration of substances in the kidney. The post-glomerular blood, after being filtered by the glomerulus, has a higher protein concentration than the venous blood, which is reconnected to the vein system in the kidney. The person is asked to explain their thinking on this problem and provide all the necessary information before help can be given. They have already submitted their assignment, which suggests that they believe the higher protein concentration in the post-glomerular blood is due to water absorption in the second capillary bed before it connects to the vein system. However, they admit that they may be wrong.
JimmyRay
We are learning the excretory system, and are given a thinking assignment. Okay so we are given a bunch of values for concentration of the substances in the kidney. Basically the post-glomular blood (blood after being filtered by glomerulus) has a little more protien concentration than the venous blood (blood after being reconnected to the vein system in the kidney). Why is that?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to show your own thinking on this problem before we can help. Also, unless you provide us with all the information you're given for the problem, we won't be able to help you much at all.

Okay I handed in the assignment already, I THINK I figured it out... here's what I put...

Basically I said the post glomerular blood goes through a second capilllary bed before it connects to the vein system. In that capillary bed there might have been some more water absorbed therefore the protien concentration decreases in the venous blood.

But I am probably wrong X_X...

What is the post-glomerular blood in biology?

The post-glomerular blood refers to the blood that has already passed through the glomerulus, which is a cluster of tiny blood vessels in the kidney. This blood has been filtered and carries waste products that will be eliminated from the body.

Why is post-glomerular blood important in biology?

Post-glomerular blood is important because it carries waste products, such as urea, from the kidneys to be eliminated from the body. This process is essential for maintaining the body's balance of fluids and electrolytes.

How does the body regulate post-glomerular blood in biology?

The body regulates post-glomerular blood through the process of tubular reabsorption. This is when the filtered substances, such as water and essential nutrients, are reabsorbed into the bloodstream from the tubules in the kidney. This helps maintain the body's balance of fluids and electrolytes.

What can affect the post-glomerular blood in biology?

Many factors can affect post-glomerular blood, including blood pressure, hormones, and kidney function. High blood pressure can cause damage to the glomeruli and decrease the filtration rate, while certain hormones can affect the amount of water and electrolytes reabsorbed. Kidney diseases and disorders can also affect the functioning of the glomeruli and impact post-glomerular blood.

How is post-glomerular blood related to urine production in biology?

Post-glomerular blood plays a crucial role in urine production. As the blood passes through the glomerulus, waste products and excess water are filtered out and become part of the urine. The remaining filtered substances are then reabsorbed into the bloodstream, and the excess water and waste products are eliminated from the body as urine.