Preservation of Matter/Energy Through Time

• Thread starter -Job-
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of preservation of matter in our 4D universe and how it relates to the conservation of 4-momentum. The speakers also consider the possibility of matter disappearing or appearing in different times and how it may not necessarily contradict the preservation of matter. They also mention examples, such as particle collisions, where mass may not be conserved but 4-momentum is. Ultimately, it is concluded that there is not a specific or special concept of matter preservation, but rather conservation of 4-momentum.
-Job-
Science Advisor
Kind of a hard question to ask. In our universe we observe preservation of matter. At time t0 my mug may be at coordinates x1, y1, z1 and at time t1 it may be at x2, y2, z2. At both t0 and t1, the universe contains the same amount of matter even though the mug is at a different place, and we say that matter is conserved. From a 4D perspective though it seems that i may move my mug forward in time a whole century, and even though the current universe will have less matter than it had before my mug time traveled, 100 years later, that will be made up by the universe having more matter (my mug is back in business).
Suppose the matter in our 4D universe (time being 4th d) is some amount M and is distributed throughout the time coordinate (as well as the others). Then, even after i move my mug from time coordinate to time coordinate, the universe will still have same amount of mass M, so tomorrow the whole Earth might have vanished and it wouldn't necessarily go against preservation of matter (it might show up at some other time t). Of course observations don't seem to imply this, what do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think we can say there's such a thing as preservation of matter, under certain circumstances we have conservation of 4-momentum (energy and spatial momentum), but there's nothing specific or special about matter there.

Consider, for instance, a particle/anti-particle collision. Mass is most certainly not conserved, but 4-momentum is.

From a 4D perspective, it is true that the universe may appear to have different amounts of matter at different points in time. However, this does not contradict the concept of preservation of matter/energy. This is because, even though the distribution of matter may change over time, the total amount of matter remains constant.

In the example given, even though the mug may appear to have "time traveled" and the Earth may have vanished, the total amount of matter in the universe remains the same. This is because the matter that made up the Earth at one point in time may have simply moved to a different point in time. The concept of preservation of matter/energy takes into account the entire 4D universe, not just individual points in time.

Additionally, the concept of conservation of matter/energy is based on the fundamental laws of physics, such as the law of conservation of mass and the law of conservation of energy. These laws have been extensively tested and observed in numerous experiments and have been found to hold true.

In conclusion, while it may seem strange from a 4D perspective that matter can seemingly disappear and reappear at different points in time, this does not go against the concept of preservation of matter/energy. The total amount of matter/energy in the universe remains constant and it is the distribution of this matter/energy that changes over time.

1. What is the law of conservation of matter/energy?

The law of conservation of matter/energy states that matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of matter and energy in the universe remains constant over time.

2. How does the law of conservation of matter/energy apply to everyday life?

The law of conservation of matter/energy applies to everyday life in many ways. For example, when we burn wood, the matter is not lost but is transformed into ash, smoke, and heat energy. Also, when we eat food, the energy from the food is used by our bodies and is not lost but is transformed into different forms, such as movement or heat.

3. How does the law of conservation of matter/energy relate to the concept of time?

The law of conservation of matter/energy applies to all points in time, past, present, and future. This means that matter and energy have always existed and will continue to exist in some form, even as time passes and the universe changes.

4. What evidence supports the law of conservation of matter/energy?

There is a significant amount of evidence supporting the law of conservation of matter/energy. One example is the fact that no matter or energy has been observed to disappear or appear out of nowhere in any experiments or observations. Additionally, the law is a fundamental principle in many scientific disciplines and has been consistently observed and tested throughout history.

5. Are there any exceptions to the law of conservation of matter/energy?

There are no known exceptions to the law of conservation of matter/energy. However, in some situations, it may appear that matter or energy has been created or destroyed. For example, during nuclear reactions, matter can be converted into energy and vice versa. But ultimately, the total amount of matter and energy remains constant.