Proper Jump Starting Technique for Car Batteries

• Thread starter Qwerto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Jump
In summary, the proper way to jump a car is to connect the positive terminals of the dead and live batteries, then connect the negative terminal of the live battery to a grounded metal part of the car. This is to prevent sparks from igniting hydrogen gas produced by lead-acid batteries. Reversing the polarity can cause damage to the system. It is important to ensure that the clamp point for the negative connection is not insulated from the electrical system. Modern sealed batteries may not present an explosion hazard, but caution should still be exercised when dealing with vented batteries.
Qwerto
Why in the world would you hook the two positive terminals up, and then you put 1 side of the wire on the negative and the other on the car... I don't get this. I would think that if you had them directly set up so 1 wire goes from negative to positive and the other wire goes from negative to positive also, it would drain the the jumping cars battery instantaneously. So I think that's why you hook it up to a metal part of the car, simply because you want the cricut you are creating to have some resistance. But I can't figure out for the life of me why it goes positive to positive.

Physics news on Phys.org
All that you're doing to jump a car is hooking a functional battery up to the same circuit as the dead one, in parallel. If you try to reverse the polarity, you'll fry the system (some of those batteries put out over 1,000 amps). The reason for making your last connection one of the negatives to a ground point rather than the negative terminal is that there's almost always some sparking involved. Lead-acid batteries produce hydrogen, and a spark could blow the thing up quite violently if it occurs in the venting area.

I have a picture here, hope this explains it. http://www.geocities.com/paintballfan8/untitled.bmp

(top battery is the dead one)
(bottom battery is the live one)
(the resistor is all the car parts that draw power from the battery; spark plugs, kicking sound system, etc.)
but he is right by saying if you were to hook them up postivie-negative, negative-positive, and they weren't leaky batteries, they would drain instantaneously.

Last edited:
You know, it never occurred to me until just now that the OP might not be aware that the chassis/engine/body of the car is the return side of the circuit.

edit: Hmmm... just saw your edit there, Wishbone. The instantaneous draining thing is outside of my experience, but I sure do remember a melted set of cables and blown regulator from my youth. (And no, it wasn't me who did it.)

Last edited:
Ya i think that's what would happen (although I am not in any rush to try it), because like you said there would be really high amps caused by very little resistance. So you would have a huge rush of amps that would quickly drain the battery (if it didn't burn through the wire first like "your friend" experienced :wink:)

Honest, man... it wasn't me. That was before I could even drive.

Truthfully I pretty much always just connect them positive to positive, negative to negative. I've tried doing it the way the cables say to, but it hasn't ever worked for me.

There's so much plastic in modern cars that it's quite possible you tried a clamp point that was insulated from the electrical system. I usually use the alternator bracket myself, but a sure bet is the bolt where the ground cable is connected to the vehicle.
As a side note, I'm pretty sure that modern sealed batteries don't present an explosion hazard. If it has vent caps, however, be very careful.

1. How do I properly jump start my car battery?

To properly jump start your car battery, you will need a set of jumper cables and another vehicle with a charged battery. First, park the vehicles facing each other, making sure they are not touching. Then, connect the positive (+) cable to the positive terminal on the dead battery and the other end to the positive terminal on the charged battery. Next, connect the negative (-) cable to the negative terminal on the charged battery and the other end to an unpainted metal surface on the car with the dead battery. Finally, start the car with the charged battery and let it run for a few minutes before attempting to start the dead car.

2. Can I jump start my car if I have a hybrid or electric vehicle?

If you have a hybrid or electric vehicle, it is not recommended to jump start it with a traditional vehicle. Instead, refer to your vehicle's owner's manual for specific instructions on how to jump start the battery or contact a professional for assistance.

3. What should I do if my car still won't start after jump starting it?

If your car still won't start after jump starting it, there may be a deeper issue with the battery or the car's electrical system. It is best to contact a professional mechanic for further assistance.

4. Is it possible to damage my car's electrical system while jump starting the battery?

Yes, it is possible to damage your car's electrical system if the jump starting process is not done correctly. This is why it is important to follow proper jump starting technique and to make sure the cables are connected correctly before starting the car.

5. How often should I jump start my car's battery?

Jump starting your car's battery should only be done as a temporary solution to get the car running. It is not recommended to continuously jump start a car's battery as it can cause damage to the battery and the car's electrical system. If your car's battery needs to be jump started frequently, it may be time to replace the battery.