Gravitons from a circular orbit

In summary, when a charged particle accelerates, it produces photons and loses energy, which explains why an electron cannot "orbit" a nucleus. Similarly, an accelerating mass would also produce gravitons and lose energy, leading to a decay in orbits. However, this effect is very small and not noticeable in most cases. The characteristic period at which gravitational radiation becomes important is determined by the ratio of the object's radius to its Schwarzschild radius. For the Earth, this means approximately 10^19 orbits or 10^19 years for its orbit to decay significantly.
When a charged particle accelerates it produces photons and loses energy which is part of the reason why an electron cannot "orbit" a nucleus.

I would think that an accelerating mass would likewise produce gravitons and lose energy so that all orbits would eventually decay. Is this correct and orbits just seem stable because the amount of energy in gravitons is so small, or is this incorrect because of the quadrupole thing?

I don't exactly understand the quadrupole idea, so if that is what prevents a circular orbit from losing energy, what kinds of orbits or events will produce gravitons?

-Thanks
Dale

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the Earth-Sun system, for example, emits gravitational radiation and thus loses energy, but this loss is far too small to have any noticeable impact. Just for some scale, Taylor and Hulse observed a period decrease of about 80 millionths of a second per year in their binary pulsar, and the effect in our own solar system would be even smaller. However, I've never actually done an estimate, so perhaps someone else can be more specific.

Last edited:
The characteristic period at which gravitational wave radition will be important is very roughly (R/R_s)^(5/2) [from MTW's gravitation, pg 981 - note that I've taken a few small liberties with the formula by replacing M with R_s to keep the units simple, ommiting a factor of 2 in the process]

Since R_s for the sun is 3 km, if you take (98 million km / 3 km)^(5/2), this means about 10^19 orbits for the Earth, i.e. 10^19 years, give or take a few orders of magnitude, for the Earth's orbit to decay appreciably.

Thanks Physics Monkey and Pervect! It's good to know I was thinking right.

-Dale

1. What are gravitons from a circular orbit?

Gravitons are hypothetical particles that are thought to be responsible for transmitting the force of gravity. In a circular orbit, gravitons are believed to be emitted by massive objects and travel in a circular path around the object, influencing other objects with their gravitational force.

2. How do gravitons from a circular orbit relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Gravitons from a circular orbit play a key role in Einstein's theory of relativity. This theory explains gravity as the curvature of space and time caused by massive objects. Gravitons are thought to be the force carriers that transmit this curvature.

3. How do scientists detect gravitons from a circular orbit?

Currently, there is no direct way to detect gravitons from a circular orbit. However, scientists are working on experiments, such as the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO), that aim to indirectly detect the presence of gravitons by measuring the distortions in space and time caused by massive objects.

4. What are the implications of discovering gravitons from a circular orbit?

The discovery of gravitons from a circular orbit would provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces in the universe and could potentially lead to the unification of quantum mechanics and general relativity. It could also have practical applications in technologies such as space travel and communication.

5. Are there alternative theories to explain the concept of gravitons from a circular orbit?

Yes, there are competing theories that attempt to explain gravity without the need for gravitons. These include modified theories of gravity and string theory. However, the concept of gravitons from a circular orbit remains the most widely accepted explanation among scientists.