What is the Correct Angle for Canonical Transformation?

In summary, the conversation is about solving the Hamiltonian of a one-dimensional system using a canonical transformation. The transformation is in the form of p = P \cos{\theta} + Q \sin{\theta} and q = -P \sin{\theta} + Q \cos{\theta}. After applying the transformation, the resulting Hamiltonian is H(P, Q) = P^2 + Q^2 - 3/2 (P^2 - Q^2) \sin{2 \theta} + 3 P Q \cos{2 \theta}. However, it is determined that no choice of angle will result in an Hamiltonian of a harmonic oscillator. One suggestion is to use \theta = \pi/4
Chen
Hello,

I need to solve the Hamiltonian of a one-dimensional system:

[tex]H(p, q) = p^2 + 3pq + q^2[/tex]

And I've been instructed to do so using a canonical transformation of the form:

[tex]p = P \cos{\theta} + Q \sin{\theta}[/tex]
[tex]q = -P \sin{\theta} + Q \cos{\theta}[/tex]

And choosing the correct angle so as to the get the Hamiltonian of an harmonic oscillator.

Applying this transformation, I get:

[tex]H(P, Q) = P^2 + Q^2 - 3/2 (P^2 - Q^2) \sin{2 \theta} + 3 P Q \cos{2 \theta}[/tex]

And as far as I can see, no choice of angle will get me to an Hamiltonian of an harmonic oscillator.

Am I correct? Can someone please check my calculation?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got the same expression for H(P,Q) as you, and I can't see what angle would give a nice form either. You'd want to get something like

[tex]H(P,Q) = \frac{P^{2}}{2} + kQ^{2}[/tex]

from which you can then get the frequency from, but that would want [tex]\sin 2\theta = \frac{1}{3}[/tex] which isn't going to drop the 3PQ term you've got.

All you need is to get [itex]\cos 2\theta=0[/itex]. So what about [itex]\theta=\pi/4[/itex]?

1. What is a canonical transformation?

A canonical transformation is a mathematical technique used in classical mechanics to transform coordinates and momenta of a system while preserving the equations of motion. It is used to simplify the equations of motion and find new sets of coordinates that may be more useful in solving a particular problem.

2. How is a canonical transformation different from a general coordinate transformation?

A canonical transformation preserves the Hamiltonian structure of the system, while a general coordinate transformation does not. This means that the equations of motion and the symplectic structure are conserved under a canonical transformation, making it a more powerful and useful tool in classical mechanics.

3. What is the role of the generating function in a canonical transformation?

The generating function is a mathematical function that generates the new coordinates and momenta in a canonical transformation. It is chosen in such a way that it satisfies certain conditions, such as the Poisson bracket relations, and allows for the preservation of the Hamiltonian structure of the system.

4. What are some common examples of canonical transformations?

Some common examples of canonical transformations include transformations from Cartesian to polar coordinates, transformations between different harmonic oscillators, and transformations between different types of rotations in three-dimensional space.

5. Why are canonical transformations important in classical mechanics?

Canonical transformations play a crucial role in classical mechanics because they allow for the simplification and manipulation of the equations of motion. They also help in finding new sets of coordinates that may be better suited for solving a particular problem. Additionally, canonical transformations are closely related to the symmetries and conservation laws of a system, making them essential for understanding the dynamics of physical systems.