[pre algebra help] simplification

• Thread starter vincentm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying the expression 5^2+3^0. The rule for powers is reviewed, as 3^0 is not equal to 3. It is then clarified that 3^0 is equal to 1, with a reference to a helpful web page. The final simplified expression is determined to be 26, with a humorous comment about factorial.
vincentm
how do i simplify?

[tex]5^2+3^0[/tex]

would it be

[tex]5x5+3^0[/tex]

and then

25+3?

Physics news on Phys.org
Review the rule for powers because 3^0 is not 3.

Plastic Photon said:
Review the rule for powers because 3^0 is not 3.

ok, i was just told that [tex]3^0[/tex] =1, but how?

ok, so [tex]5^2+3^0[/tex]
is simplified to:

[tex]25+1[/tex]

vincentm said:
ok, so [tex]5^2+3^0[/tex]
is simplified to:

[tex]25+1[/tex]

Yes, although if you really want to "simplify" it do one more step:
25+ 1= 26!

HallsofIvy said:
25+ 1= 26!

Just a note to the OP, 26! is not equal to 26. HallsofIvy wasn't referring to a factorial (if you're familiar with that subject).

[Quadratic] said:
Just a note to the OP, 26! is not equal to 26. HallsofIvy wasn't referring to a factorial (if you're familiar with that subject).
Wicked! :biggrin:

Actually, I thought about that but it occurred to me that if the poster was concerned about 30, he wouldn't think I meant factorial and mentioning it would just confuse things.

HallsofIvy said:
Actually, I thought about that but it occurred to me that if the poster was concerned about 30, he wouldn't think I meant factorial and mentioning it would just confuse things.

I figured you had thought about it. I'm just a bit too particular I guess :blushing:

arildno said:
Wicked! :biggrin:
I got him, didn't I? :rofl:

Jk Halls! I'm not worthy!

[Quadratic] said:

I got a good laugh out of that one :).

1. What is simplification in pre-algebra?

Simplification in pre-algebra is the process of making an expression or equation easier to understand by reducing or combining like terms and using the proper order of operations.

2. How do I simplify expressions in pre-algebra?

To simplify an expression in pre-algebra, you should first combine any like terms by adding or subtracting them. Then, use the order of operations (PEMDAS) to evaluate any remaining operations in the expression. Finally, if possible, reduce any fractions or decimals to their simplest form.

3. What are like terms?

Like terms are terms that have the same variable(s) raised to the same power. For example, 3x and 5x are like terms, but 3x and 5xy are not like terms.

4. Can I simplify equations in pre-algebra?

Yes, equations can also be simplified in pre-algebra by using the same steps as simplifying expressions. The goal is to get the variable on one side of the equal sign and all other numbers on the other side.

5. Why is simplification important in pre-algebra?

Simplification is important in pre-algebra because it allows us to solve equations and expressions more easily and accurately. It also helps us to better understand the relationship between different parts of an equation or expression.