End Model Behaviors: Disagreement Between Teacher & Student

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary, the conversation revolved around a disagreement between a student and their teacher regarding the end model behaviors of a given function. The student's answers were 2^x for the REMB and -x*sin(x) for the LEMB, while the teacher claimed that the only choices for the LEMB were -x and sin(x). The student and teacher also discussed the definition of end model behavior and the influence of the function f(x)=x sin(x)+2^{x} on its asymptotic behaviors at left/right infinities. It was concluded that the student was correct in their reasoning and the teacher may have been incorrect in their understanding.
KingNothing
A few days ago, my teacher and I had a disagreement about end model behaviors. There was a question on the test asking for the two end model behaviors of the following function:

http://img219.imageshack.us/my.php?image=graph1be.gif

My answers were 2^x for the REMB and -x*sin(x) for the LEMB.

He claims that the only choices for the LEMB are -x and sin(x). His logic is not mathematically sound, because the sin(x) and -x have an equal effect on the graph. He simply claims it "looks more like sin(x)" becuase f(x)=-x does not have a wave-like look to it. At the same time, he admits that sin(x) does not have a growing amplitude. He says that it can't be -x*sin(x) because they are separated by multiplication.

I also disagree with him because on another EMB problem, the correct answer was 3x. According to his logic on the aforementioned problem, the choices should be "3" or "x", yet on this one he agrees with 3x.

What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
We are talking asymptotic behaviours of some function here, right?
Post the damn function.

Arildno, the function and its graph are given in the attachment. It is
f(x)= x sin(x)+ ex.

KingNothing: appeal to the precise definition of "End Model Behavior". I don't see what "separated by multiplication" has to do with anything.

When I look at the attachment, there seems to say
[tex]f(x)=x^{x}\sin(x)2^{x}x[/tex]
which doesn't give any meaning for negative x's.

Look at the upper-right corner of this image:
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/4562/graph1be.gif

HallsofIvy, what is the precise definition of end model behavior?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's your problem! How could you expect to be able to answer any question about "End Model Behavior" if you don't know what it means? What does your textbook say!

We don't have a textbook. The class is Calc 2, we are in the process of reviewing Calc 1. All I'm asking for is a good link to a site that clearly defines End Model Behavior.

I'll assume that you are after the asymptotic behaviours at left/right infinities for the function: [tex]f(x)=x\sin(x)+2^{x}[/tex]
Short answer: You are right, your teacher shouldn't have been a teacher.
Towards minus infinity, [itex]2^{x}[/itex] becomes subdominant to the term [tex]x\sin(x)[/tex] over most of the line apart from tiny, shrinking regions around the zeroes of sin(x) where the exponential will continue to be important. (It will, for example, influence the actual locations of the functions zeroes)

Ignoring that quibble, xsin(x) yields for the most part the asymptotic behaviour of the function as x trundles along to minus infinity.

Last edited:

What is meant by "End Model Behaviors"?

End Model Behaviors refer to the final actions or behaviors exhibited by a teacher and student during a disagreement or conflict. These behaviors can have a lasting impact on the relationship between the teacher and student, as well as the overall learning environment.

What are some common examples of End Model Behaviors?

Some common examples of End Model Behaviors include a teacher using their authority to end the disagreement, a student giving in to the teacher's demands without truly understanding or agreeing, or both parties avoiding the conflict altogether and not addressing the underlying issues.

Why is it important to address End Model Behaviors?

Addressing End Model Behaviors is important because it can greatly impact the dynamics of the teacher-student relationship and the overall classroom environment. If the final behaviors are negative or ineffective, it can lead to a breakdown in communication and trust between the teacher and student.

How can a teacher and student reach a positive End Model Behavior?

To reach a positive End Model Behavior, both the teacher and student must actively listen and communicate their perspectives, seek to understand each other's viewpoints, and work towards a mutually agreeable solution. It is also important to maintain a respectful and empathetic attitude towards one another.

What can be done to prevent negative End Model Behaviors in the future?

To prevent negative End Model Behaviors in the future, it is important for both the teacher and student to establish clear expectations and boundaries, actively listen and communicate effectively, and address conflicts or disagreements in a timely and respectful manner. Building a positive and trusting relationship between the teacher and student can also help prevent negative End Model Behaviors.