I'm writing my senior thesis on Dirichlet Series

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Dirichlet Series, which are series of the form \zeta(s) = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{a_k}{k^s} and \xi(s) = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} a_k e^{-\lambda_k s}. The formula for multiplying two absolutely convergent classical Dirichlet series is the Dirichlet product or convolution, and attempts are being made to find an analog for generalized Dirichlet series. However, it is noted that the current formula is just the usual Cauchy product for series. Suggestions for original content in this topic are also discussed.
benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I am writing my senior thesis (I am an undergrad math major at UCSB) on Dirichlet Series, which are, in the classical sense, series of the form

[tex]\zeta (s)=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{a_k}{k^s}[/tex]​

where [tex]a_k,s\in\mathbb{C}[/tex] and are more generally given by (whence the name generalized Dirichlet series)

[tex]\xi (s)=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_k e^{-\lambda_k s}[/tex]​

where [tex]\{ \lambda_k\}[/tex] is a sequence of real numbers such that [tex]\lambda_k < \lambda_{k+1},\forall k\in\mathbb{Z} ^+[/tex] and such that [tex]\lambda_k\rightarrow\infty\mbox{ as }k\rightarrow\infty .[/tex] I note that the usual power series and classical Dirichlet series are both special cases of generalized Dirichlet series (the sufficiently curious will check this by putting [tex]\lambda_k = \log k[/tex] in [tex]\xi[/tex] to obtain the later, and put [tex] a_k = b_n[/tex] if [tex]k=2^{n}[/tex] and [tex]a_n = 0[/tex] otherwise in [tex]\zeta[/tex] to obtain the former.)

As is well known, the formula for multipling two absolutely convergent classical Dirichlet series, say f and g given by

[tex]f(s)=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{a_k}{k^s}\mbox{ and }g(s)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{b_n}{n^s},[/tex]​

is the so-called Dirichlet product or convolution given by

[tex]h(s):=f(s)g(s)=\left( \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{a_k}{k^s}\right) \left( \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{b_n}{n^s}\right) = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \left( \sum_{n|k}a_{n}b_{\frac{k}{n}}\right) \frac{1}{k^s} ,[/tex]​

where the inner sum is over all positive divisors n of k (the symbol n|k is read "n divides k".) This is an analog of the Cauchy product of power series, namely

[tex]\left( \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}a_{k}z^{k}\right) \left( \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}b_{n}z^{n}\right) = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \left( \sum_{n=0}^{k}a_{n}b_{k-n}\right) z^{k} .[/tex]​

I am attempting to formulate an analog of this multiplication formula for generalized Dirichlet series, this is what I've got:

Question: is the following correct?

The formula for multipling two absolutely convergent general Dirichlet series, say F and G given by

[tex]F(s)=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_{k}e^{-\alpha_k s}\mbox{ and }G(s)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} b_{n}e^{-\beta_n s},[/tex]​

is

[tex]H(s):=F(s)G(s)=\left( \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_{k}e^{-\alpha_k s}\right) \left( \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} b_{n}e^{-\beta_n s}\right) = \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} \left( \sum_{\substack{p+q=k\\p,q\geq 1}}a_{p}b_{q}e^{-\left(\alpha_p + \beta_q \right) s}\right) ,[/tex]​

where the inner sum is over all integer partitions of k into exactly two summands p and q.

Note that this should reduce to the Dirichlet product and/or the Cauchy product under the respective special cases mentioned above.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The nice thing about the product form for a power series or dirichlet series is you get a power series or dirichlet series back owing to the way you've grouped the pairs of indicies (k,n) in your double infinite sum as either k*n=constant or k+n=constant.

This doesn't happen with how you've written the product of generalized dirichlet series. In fact you've just used the cauchy product formula on it. So I'd ask what the point is? Is this more natural than a convolution or just leaving it as a double sum?

I haven't yet stumbled across a formula (not that the isn't one, for perhaps there is one) for such a product: what I have posted is what I managed by writing out the first few products of the partial sums. Any thoughts on how to give a more meaningful formula?

Also, ( :rolleyes: I may as well go for it) I am charged with coming up with some original content : ! Any suggestions?

Do not think that the above is to be the content of my paper: I have just begun studding the topic.

benorin said:
I haven't yet stumbled across a formula (not that the isn't one, for perhaps there is one) for such a product: what I have posted is what I managed by writing out the first few products of the partial sums. Any thoughts on how to give a more meaningful formula?

You do see that your product is just the usual cauchy product for series though, right? I don't think you can give a nice form for the product in the general case. By 'nice form' here I mean one that is a generalized dirichlet series as it's written (with increasing lambdas), and an infinite sum over only one index. In the special cases, the exponent lambdas are from a nice set, like log's of natural numbers, and this is preserved in the product. You won't get this in general.

benorin said:
Also, ( :rolleyes: I may as well go for it) I am charged with coming up with some original content : ! Any suggestions?

I don't know if this will lead anywhere at all, but it's in the direction of your product idea. For the special dirichlet case, we get a nice product by grouping the pairs (k,n) over an infinite family of hyperbolas, each with a finite number of points. For the power series case, we group over an infinite family of lines with slope -1, each with a finite number of points. If you tried different curves, say circles (which requires some of the coefficients to be zero), will there be restrictions on the lambdas that make this into a nice product form? I haven't given this much thought, so it might not lead anywhere interesting.

1. What is a Dirichlet series?

A Dirichlet series is a type of infinite series that is used in number theory and complex analysis. It is named after the mathematician Peter Gustav Lejeune Dirichlet and is defined as a sum of the form ∑n=1∞ an/ns, where s is a complex number and an are coefficients.

2. What is the significance of Dirichlet series in mathematics?

Dirichlet series have many applications in mathematics, particularly in number theory. They are used to study the distribution of prime numbers and to prove important theorems such as the Prime Number Theorem. They also have connections to other areas of mathematics, such as complex analysis and harmonic analysis.

3. How are Dirichlet series related to the Riemann zeta function?

The Riemann zeta function, denoted by ζ(s), is a special case of a Dirichlet series where all the coefficients an are equal to 1. In fact, the Riemann zeta function can be expressed as a product of Dirichlet series. This connection has led to many important results in number theory, including the proof of the Prime Number Theorem.

4. What is the role of the Euler product formula in Dirichlet series?

The Euler product formula is a way to express a Dirichlet series as a product of terms involving prime numbers. It is given by the formula ∑n=1∞ an/ns = ∏p(1/(1-ap/ps)), where the product is taken over all prime numbers. This formula is useful in studying the convergence and analytic properties of Dirichlet series.

5. Are there any open questions or current research related to Dirichlet series?

Yes, there are still many open questions and ongoing research related to Dirichlet series. Some current topics of interest include the distribution of zeros of Dirichlet series, the relationship between Dirichlet series and automorphic forms, and the application of Dirichlet series to other areas of mathematics, such as cryptography. As with any active field of research, new developments and insights are constantly emerging in the study of Dirichlet series.