Are boxes like socks? Why can't I find the right size when I need them?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the struggle of finding the right boxes to store or ship items. While some suggest using stackable plastic boxes with clear drawers, others share their personal experiences of never having the right size box when needed. One person even jokes about being cursed and needing to pay a fee to remove it.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Is it just me or do you never have a box that even resembles the kind of box that you need to store something in or around your house... yet you will always have boxes laying around that are torn up, mis-shaped, or just plain useless...

I need to stockpile good 4x8x8 boxes or something

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just you.

Yup, you're cursed Pengwuino. Send me two hundred dollars and I can remove the curse from you using secret, ancient and time-tested techniques I learned from a tribe of mutant amazon warriors.

I don't have torn up or misshapen boxes, but I never seem to have one in the size I need to ship whatever I need to ship to someone. They'll all always be just a bit too small or 3 sizes too big.

4X8X8 (inches I presume) isn't too bad. You can probably stock up on plastic boxes close to that size and then they won't get misshapen or torn up, plus you can see what's in them, so you don't have to worry if you forgot to label them.

Dawguard said:
Yup, you're cursed Pengwuino. Send me two hundred dollars and I can remove the curse from you using secret, ancient and time-tested techniques I learned from a tribe of mutant amazon warriors.
You mean those mutant amazon ninja warriors?

We use stackable plastic boxes which have lids. And there are plastic shelves with clear plastic drawers.

Otherwise I have stacks of books organized by discipline. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
You mean those mutant amazon ninja warriors?
Yes, I did. They must have inducted you into their secrets and knowledge too, if you know they're ninjas. I wouldn't say anything more about them though, you know what would happen if they decided you revealed too much information to the general public. Remember that demonstration they gave during the induction? I still get nightmares about the screams of the totrured victim!

Last edited:
it's just you... I've always had the box I need.

I agree with pengwuino. I never have any boxes in my house, I always have to trek to the local supermarket and ask for some which is irritating. Boxes are like socks. You use em and lose em.

1. What are "*sigh* boxes"?

"*sigh* boxes" are a type of scientific equipment used for measuring the volume of air that is expelled when someone exhales a sigh. They are typically small, transparent boxes with a tube attached to one end for the person to exhale into.

2. How are "*sigh* boxes" used?

*sigh* boxes are used by having the person exhale a full breath into the box through the attached tube. The volume of air in the box after the sigh can then be measured and recorded for analysis.

3. What can "*sigh* boxes" tell us?

*sigh* boxes can provide information about the volume of air that is expelled during a sigh, which can give insight into a person's respiratory health and breathing patterns. They can also be used in psychological studies to measure emotional responses.

4. Are "*sigh* boxes" used in any specific field of science?

Yes, *sigh* boxes are primarily used in respiratory and psychological research. They may also be used in fields such as anthropology and sociology to study non-verbal communication and emotional expression.

5. How accurate are "*sigh* boxes" in measuring sighs?

The accuracy of *sigh* boxes may vary depending on the specific design and calibration of the equipment. However, they are generally considered to be a reliable and non-invasive method for measuring sigh volume.