How can I improve my efficiency in studying math and physics?

• Thread starter amith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the person has a problem studying and gets good marks but does not understand the material. They recommend spending time studying what is necessary to understand the material and that working problems is important, but taking breaks is also important.
amith
I have a problem with studying, i keep studying a lot but i just can't get very good marks. I get stuff like 76+. But i had studied for 90+. Does anyone have any suggestions for improving my efficiency?:cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Work out problem after problem after problem. That is the way to make it sink in, no matter what the subject. That is a very tough question to answer when we really don't know any details about your background, etc...

I would not worry so much about efficiency as much as spending whatever the amount of time YOU need to understand something. If it takes you 10 times longer to get something, then so be it. Just make sure you spend that extra time. The only thing you should use to compare yourself to others is if you understand what is being talked about.

I have around a 4.0 right now going into my jr. year majoring in Computer Engineering and I over study as well. I spend hours upon hours on this one subject and only a few on the others. You just have to learn time mangement. Set an alarm for 3 hours and once that time is up, switch to another subject.

Also don't study by just looking at example problems or going over them in your head. Actually get out a piece of paper and work through them by hand again and again.

Right after you get out of lecture, go over what he said to make sure you understand everything. If you don't, make a note and come back to it later.

If you don't understand somthig, post it on here and make sure you show that you put work into it. They are a great help. 99% of all my posts are questions, so i owe my GPA to a lot of these guys hah, thanks! :)

Last edited:
I find that studying in short 30-40 minute intervals is much more effective than a 5 hour cram. Switch subjects often and make sure that you don't study so long that you become immune to picking anything new up.

I tend to break up my studying into intervals also. However, it totally depends on your endurance, which is most likely completely different between each of us. For me, I can't "keep studying" for long hours because after awhile I just feel as if the material isn't sinking anymore. I solved the issue by partitioning my time. However, it may be different for you.

FredGarvin said:
I would not worry so much about efficiency as much as spending whatever the amount of time YOU need to understand something. If it takes you 10 times longer to get something, then so be it. Just make sure you spend that extra time. The only thing you should use to compare yourself to others is if you understand what is being talked about.

Is it worth spending so much time...what i feel a person should finish what he is supposed to finish whether he understands or not and then comeback to the points where he think he is weak,,i believe he will be comfortable then...i think wasting more than a limited time breaks the continuity..and is not often good.

Perhaps you can help yourself by improving your classroom habits. In engineering school, I learned not to take copious notes during lectures, but to take notes selectively, especially on the things that the lecturer stressed or gave as examples. If your lecturer thinks that something is important, you should, too, because it will likely involve critical concepts that he or she will test you on to see if you "got it". When I studied for tests or did homework, I would refer to my notes, which would often look like shorthand sentences with prepositions, etc, omitted, and often I found that solving the problems often require the application of the ideas that I had jotted down. This may or may not work for you, but I took classes with some students who scribbled down everything they could during lectures - taking pages of notes, but often at the expense of comprehension, I fear. Good luck.

I don't think it is enough, personally, to simply do problem after problem. I think it is equally important to sit down and think deeply about the subjects being discussed in class and set aside working problems for a while. While you can get by and get an A in your classes by only working problems and memorizing procedures, you might not necessarily understand the ins and outs of everything. There are too many people out there that haven't got a clue what they are doing, yet are still able to ace the tests and work (SOME) or the problems. I personally would prefer to be the B student that understands everything extremely well than the A student that doesn't understand much of anything. the B student that understands everything very well is able to THINK through a problem, as opposed to just simply regurgitate work steps like many A students. This is advantageous when a new type of problem pops up and there is no previously demonstrated method to solve the problem. Also, being the B student that understands everything very well gives another advantage over the A student that has less understanding when certain tricks or quirky problems pop up that you might not typically be tested on in the classroom.

While you can certainly be an A student that understands everything very thoroughly, my point is that grades don't say everythnig about you and you should stop worrying about your letter grade so much and worry about what really matters, and that is learning. However, you still need to worry about grades, but don't let it stress you out too much when you get a B or something.

Last edited:
leright said:
I don't think it is enough, personally, to simply do problem after problem. I think it is equally important to sit down and think deeply about the subjects being discussed in class and set aside working problems for a while. While you can get by and get an A in your classes by only working problems and memorizing procedures, you might not necessarily understand the ins and outs of everything. There are too many people out there that haven't got a clue what they are doing, yet are still able to ace the tests and work (SOME) or the problems...

I completely agree.
As a teacher, I see some students who redo all the assignment problems an dthe practice problems and still fail or get low marks on the tests. Because they did not try to understand what they were doing. It seems that they think that preparing for a test is like preparing for a competition in weight lifting. If you have lifted enough weights, you will get to the competition and lift the weight given to you.

The best way to learn is to do the problems, but before working them out (and *especially* before looking at the solutions), ask yourself: "is it clear to me how I should proceed? Do I see more than one way? Can I get started without looking at the solutions"?

Too many times people basically copy down the solutions and feel that they have mastered a subject or solve a problem without ever stopping to figure out why they are doing it in a certain way.

You will learn *a lot* if you tackle a problem and think about doing it one way and try this (without looking at the solution) and get stuck at some point or get a wrong answer. Then you go back and have to understand why this method is incorrect or why the result is wrong (at that point it is ok to look at the solutions). If you have used the right approach then it is just a matter of a math mistake possibly and you have to make sure you see your mistake. However, if the approach is wrong, you should see the teacher and understand what is incorrect with this approach (usually it makes you realize that you did not really understand the question, or that some formula applies only in some approximation or that you had a serious misunderstanding about some fundamental concept).

If for some problems you just don't know how to get started, look at the solutions but take a minute to really absorb why this is the way to do it.

After doing all that, if you go back over the problems and it is crystal clear why they must be done a certain way, then you have a much deeper understanding.

I can say that usually the students who come to me saying "but why couldn't we do this way instead" are the ones who end up getting the best grades. Because they *think* about how to solve the problems instead of just grinding through.

My two cents

Patrick

Thanks a lot for the suggestions and encouragements, i'll try to apply all those suggestions. Turbo, i think I'm some where in between when it comes to notes making. Sometimes i just mug up everything the lecture says like a xerox machine because i wouldn't understand little at the moment, then when I'm relaxed i read it up and let it 'sink in' at other times i understand it completely that i don't take notes and end up lacking reference before an exam.
I used to study everything that there is in the book, even if it is not important for better understanding, but then i weigh both important and unimportant stuff equally. The during the pre-exam revisions there will be to much to revise, bringing down the score. Now i concentrate on important stuff, but even though it improves the scores, i only know what is needed for exams!

amith said:
I have a problem with studying, i keep studying a lot but i just can't get very good marks. I get stuff like 76+. But i had studied for 90+. Does anyone have any suggestions for improving my efficiency?:cry:

I have a question. In English, don't they say "effectively" in stead of "efficiently" ? I know that in French, you don't say "efficient" but "efficace"

marlon

marlon said:
I have a question. In English, don't they say "effectively" in stead of "efficiently" ? I know that in French, you don't say "efficient" but "efficace"

marlon
We use both. "Effectively" means what you're doing works, and "efficiently" means what you're doing works well. So you could be effective but not efficient.

I find it easier to study ahead of time, when I don't have to. No schedules, no deadlines, no exams, no worries.

turbo-1 said:
Perhaps you can help yourself by improving your classroom habits. In engineering school, I learned not to take copious notes during lectures, but to take notes selectively, especially on the things that the lecturer stressed or gave as examples.

I eventually learned not to take notes in class as well. There's a reading assignment for every class. After a while I learned that the best way to learn was to do the reading before the class, not after (as most students who I've known do). Instead of lecture notes I had reading notes. When I got to class I only had to write down the things that didn't come straight from the book, which allowed me to listen better. It also helped that I knew what was going on beforehand.

If you are really spending a lot of time studying then I recommend improving your test-taking skills. What exactly are you missing on the exams? Careless errors, not remembering the material, or not being able to figure out "creative" things that you do have the raw knowledge for? There are different approaches for each problem. If you are making careless errors then I recommend, no matter how painful it is, going back over your exam while you are taking it as many times as you have time for and inspecting everything carefully for error or possible misinterpretation on the part of the grader. If you don't remember the material then I guess you just better study more. If you are not able to figure out things that you do in principle understand, you should do more hard problems.

ADD drugs...

Same thing with me Hammie, I really suck at cramming.

Yep. That was my strategy for Calc I through most of III. I don't know how fair it is to the instructors though. By the time I actually took the classes, they thought I was a genius or something..

:biggrin:

I'm currently working on advanced calc. I have close to half a year until I'll need it.

my ways
1) study ahead, then you gain deeper understanding during the actual class, you do homework when you get out of class.
2) if too tired, go sleep or play for few hours, then come back to the battle field.
3)Enough lighting
4)Enough oxygen
5)think of some examples about reality yourself.

Actually for me , if I want the material to sink in , I got to study for long hours. It seems not effictive to me if you study half an hour and then take a break and then another half an hour. I get distracted a lot. I usually like to dive. just forget everything else and go for a 4-10 hours straight. and then revise the whole thing to see if I missed a point or two.

For me,I prefer long hours.I can hardly reach my own deep understanding in less than 3 hours of study.Text books is to help you form your own perspective,not to be "understanded" by you.It helps a lot to keep writing down any constructive thought you think up,including your question seeming to confusing your mind now ,which I think is the most constructive, and keep reviewing what you have written down in early times.

For me, I find I work best in a room where the only light on it my desk light, otherwise I get distracted, and can't focus. I also try to work for 4-5 hours at a time since I get the most done when I really focus. Also, try doing a little studing quite late in the evening just before you go to bed, I found it is extremely effective for gaining a good understanding of the stuff, although this method doesn't work for everyone.

If you're in high school, the best way for efficient study, and 100s is to don't force yourself to study but to pay attention in class and let your logic and imagination work - ask questions.
I've never studied in my life and always get 95s or above. If you ask questions, it means that something goes into your head. Question everything you do in class. I found it the best way to memorize material. And don't make 90 your aim, study for a perfect score. That's pretty much my way - pay attention, and ask questions. Good thing to do is to study the material from tomorrow, today, on your own. Then it also is easier to memorize and question the topic.

i think u should ask someone on the same course they would have a better idea of where u are going wrong ...

heartless said:
If you're in high school, the best way for efficient study, and 100s is to don't force yourself to study but to pay attention in class and let your logic and imagination work - ask questions.
I've never studied in my life and always get 95s or above. If you ask questions, it means that something goes into your head. Question everything you do in class. I found it the best way to memorize material. And don't make 90 your aim, study for a perfect score. That's pretty much my way - pay attention, and ask questions. Good thing to do is to study the material from tomorrow, today, on your own. Then it also is easier to memorize and question the topic.

I find this to be very true as well as an effective way to get high marks: listen in class and question all the underlying ideas of the lesson. All the people in my science and math classes blindly take notes and copy examples, as a result, miss what the teacher is explaining. Although the notes are obviously useful, listening to the teacher and questioning will give you a more fundamental understanding.

Im more of an auditory learner. So I record what I need to learn onto my Mp3 player, and listen to them :) Maybe a similar plan may work for you? Also some people learn by pictures, So try tree diagrams too. Only by trial and error will you find the technics most suited to you :)

Go home and re-read the notes that was given to you in class. That way you understand what you learned and that way you are more likely to remember it. In class notes are given to you in a rush. At home you can go through it more slowly.

I'm really not sure what to do anymore. I'm a returning student with a completely different career path. I'm okay with reading ahead and trying to stay on top of things, but I'm also a furious note scribbler. I keep thinking that if I don't know it then, I'll figure it out later. Well my "laters" are not all that flexible. I have the capacity to learn this stuff and I've tried everything except standing on my head to understand math and physics. I'm in Physics II, Calculus III and IV and Meteorology, and I figure if I made it this far, I know something. I'm above 30, and I don't have the stamina for the all-nighters. Physics seems to be a mix of learning concepts and applying equations. Those who can solve the equations seem to get the A's and those who learn the concepts pretty much have that "understanding" that someone eluded to in an earlier post. I've tried to focus on either equations or concepts hoping for higher grades and a better understanding, but I still miss something. I need to do a major overhaul on my studying tactics, but I don't know what to try that I haven't already tried. Help?

Sarlizwx said:
I'm really not sure what to do anymore. I'm a returning student with a completely different career path. I'm okay with reading ahead and trying to stay on top of things, but I'm also a furious note scribbler. I keep thinking that if I don't know it then, I'll figure it out later. Well my "laters" are not all that flexible. I have the capacity to learn this stuff and I've tried everything except standing on my head to understand math and physics. I'm in Physics II, Calculus III and IV and Meteorology, and I figure if I made it this far, I know something. I'm above 30, and I don't have the stamina for the all-nighters. Physics seems to be a mix of learning concepts and applying equations. Those who can solve the equations seem to get the A's and those who learn the concepts pretty much have that "understanding" that someone eluded to in an earlier post. I've tried to focus on either equations or concepts hoping for higher grades and a better understanding, but I still miss something. I need to do a major overhaul on my studying tactics, but I don't know what to try that I haven't already tried. Help?

I've never stayed up all night, and I don't think anyone should. If you're not a crammer, that should never happen in undergraduate. In fact, I never want it to happen to me. I'll know less by having no sleep.

If you really do read ahead and work hard, just keep it up because they're good habits to have.

JasonRox said:
I've never stayed up all night, and I don't think anyone should. If you're not a crammer, that should never happen in undergraduate. In fact, I never want it to happen to me. I'll know less by having no sleep.

If you really do read ahead and work hard, just keep it up because they're good habits to have.

Thanks Jason. But I'm still not getting the information "in". I should also mention that I have difficulties focusing when the material is difficult. My change in study habits is not to get rid of any of the good ones, but to find a different approach/system to apply to physics II (mainly) as well as the advanced math classes. There HAS to be other ways of learning this stuff.

Sarlizwx said:
Thanks Jason. But I'm still not getting the information "in". I should also mention that I have difficulties focusing when the material is difficult. My change in study habits is not to get rid of any of the good ones, but to find a different approach/system to apply to physics II (mainly) as well as the advanced math classes. There HAS to be other ways of learning this stuff.

I learn the stuff on my own if I really want to learn it.

I found what they do in the classroom never really worked, or atleast at my school it doesn't. It has worked only with a professor or two. Otherwise, it never does.

I found reading the textbook myself, and doing lots of problems works pretty well. And if I don't understand Chapter 5, then I don't understand a previous Chapter. So, I just keep working on that previous chapter. I see students getting frustrasted how they don't understand a thing going on, but I realize that they don't understand a thing taught before either!

Sarlizwx are you sure that the information is not getting 'in'? Or is it that you don't understand it so that you don't let it 'in' your brain? Not everyone gets everything. And it takes longer to some people than others. Yes, i agree with the part that as you get older you get tired more easily. I remember i could stay all night when i was younger, but now i get sleepy very easily. If you don't get what they teach you ask the teacher or even here in the forum.

I also agree with JasonRox that if you are learning it as duty for grades or whatever, they just don't get into your brain the same way as something you want to know. You want to know something, you look for it, you read it, tackle it and do everything and all.

But the thing is that nowadays to get a good job you have to complete college which makes study a duty. Even though you might pretend that the classes are fun, when you pretend you are just pretending. That is why people say that go for a career that you like so that you doing in something that you are interested. Of course, the concept of college today is not only to study but to make friends have fun and all. But the experience you can make most of is to be able to complete any requirements. When you are out in the society, not everything is going to happen like you want it to. You have to tackle it even if it means cheating. That is why is not only to study well, but to study smart. Even if it is cheating, you have cheat smartly so that you are not found out. (not encouraging you to cheat but is a fact, right?)

There are people who want to learn and don't have the money. Others, learn because it is fun. Others like some subject and still have to take the ones they dislike because it is a requirement. So why to study? You are the one to decide. Drop out of college? Or challenge it saying "I know i can do it! Even if it takes 10, 20, 30 years. Even if it takes all eternity!" You are the one to decide.
As i have read and you might as well, different people have their own way to learn things. Some people prefer one method and others another. But what you can really do is to improve your ways to study; so that it is not that hard, but a easier.

Notes taking:
I personally don't take notes but once in a while i write something. When you study in college, people normally can't get everything in their brains. You need notes or records to remind you of some details. Of course you can but it is 'hard'. So why not make your life easier? Of course, you can go well without taking notes. But take it if you need it. But remember it is notes that you should take, not a script of what happened in the lecture. The brain is better for processing information than memorizing information.

Reading before lecture:
Of course it helps! Some teachers go really fast. Also when the teachers say it, and you read beforehand you get things better. Even if you read it once and don't get it all all, by the time you hear it, you become more familiar with it. Even if you understood the book, you get a better idea in class. Or whether the teacher is right or wrong, you know it!

Being active in class:
You don't necessarily have to participate but if you do so you becomes better at it because you are using the material you learned. Being active is not only about participating but listening critically. Although the teacher knows better about the subject, he/she is human and makes mistakes. In addition, it is better to take summarized notes so that it won't take away your attention.

Personal study:
I won't go over individual or group study since it depends on the person but personal study includes reading before and after class. It doesn't necessarily have to be after lecture but you should review things to make sure that what you understand is right and not the wrong info. And practice of course. When you are doing the test, you have a limited time to answer questions.

To get straight A's you don't have to understand everything. You only have to do the right steps and memorize the right things. Even if you learned everything, will you be able to use it all in your job? You might and might not. Also after you get your job, you will still be learning new things and companies even train you and some even require tests. So put more effort to what you consider to be important and less effort to the one you don't consider that important (but don't slack off!).

Last thing is that to know it is something. To be able to use it is another. If you know your habits and you are not correcting it, nothing changes.

Phew... finished typing...

P.S. You are the one to decide.

Last edited:
Every individual has his or her own unique learning style, and good study habits are key to any student. This has been proven extensively in the previous posts. The one tip I would like to add is a way of testing yourself. The only true way of finding out if you understand material is to teach. My philosophy is that if you can teach it, you understand it. Sometimes it isn't enough to blindly know formulas and work problems. Start fresh, and explain everything to yourself. With the ideas that you stumble over or question, go back and review. It may help to explain the ideas to another student who either is a pro in the subject or has never heard of it. Whatever way makes you feel comfortable, stick with it.

More than anything ask questions! Observe your teacher and find out the best way to ask a question. My particular teacher responds best if you ask a question involving whether an assumption you made is correct, over a "what is going on" type question. Ask questions to yourself, and keep asking them until you can confidently answer them.

Hopefully those ideas help somewhat.
Oh and cshum00 is right. You are the one to decide.

Found this quite a while ago... it's pretty useful, especially the note making section. But I think much has changed since '55...

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/chapman.htm

Thanks to all for your tips! I'm still going through some of it. But you get the idea that what I'm after is a different approach to learning this stuff. Maybe it is a different mindset. Thanks.