Is There an Easier Proof for Proving Irreducibility of Polynomials?

• Thread starter mathwonk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomials
In summary, the speaker proved that x^5 - 8 is irreducible over the rationals using Eisenstein, but also discovered a more general proof for x^n - a being irreducible over the rationals when it has no rational root. However, this proof involves Galois theory which is not part of the course being taught. The speaker is looking for an easier proof and is new to this topic.
mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
im teeching algebra and had to prove that X^5 - 8 was irreducible over the rationals. so i did it using eisenstein.

then more generally i seem to have proved that X^n - a is irreducible over the rationals whenever it has no rational root.

but i used galois theory, and the course I am teching does not have that in it.

is there an easier proof? I am a rookie at this stuff.

thanks

:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
That doesn't seem to be true in general, x^4-4=(x^2-2)(x^2+2), but it has no rational root.

[tex]x^5-8 = \prod _{k=1}^5(x-\alpha\xi ^k)[/tex]

where [itex]\xi[/itex] is one of the non-real fifth-roots of unity, and [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the real fifth-root of 8. It's clear that this polynomial isn't reducible over the rationals into a product of linear factors, so if it were reducible over the rationals, it would have an irreducible-over-Q factor which would be a product of 2, 3, or 4 of the [itex](x-\alpha\xi ^k)[/itex]. The constant term of this irreducible factor would have a constant term of the form [itex]\pm\alpha ^j \xi ^{k_1 + \dots + k_j}[/itex] where j is 2, 3, or 4, and the ki are in {1,2,3,4,5}. If [itex]\alpha ^j[/itex] is rational, then so is [itex]\alpha ^{gcd(5,j)} = \alpha[/itex]. It's easy to prove this false, in a similar manner that we prove 21/2 is irrational. So [itex]\alpha ^j[/itex] is irrational, hence so is [itex]\pm\alpha ^j\xi ^{k_1 + \dots + k_j}[/itex], and so this factor which was supposedly an irreducible polynomial over Q is not a polynomial over Q at all, so there is no such factor, and so the original polynomial is indeed irreducible over Q.

Last edited:
sorry, i meant x^n -a where n is prime.

x^5 -8 or x^p - n^k is easy since the field generated by a root is contained in Q[n^(1/p)] which has degree p by eisenstein if n is not a pth root. so Q[(n^k/p)] is a subfield of a field of prime degree, hence either the root is already in Q or the field is of degree p also.

1. What is an irreducible polynomial?

An irreducible polynomial is a polynomial that cannot be factored into a product of two or more polynomials with lower degree, where the coefficients are taken from the same field. In other words, it is a polynomial that cannot be broken down into simpler terms.

2. How can you determine if a polynomial is irreducible?

To determine if a polynomial is irreducible, you can use the rational root theorem to check for any possible rational roots. If there are no rational roots, you can then use the Eisenstein's criterion or the Berlekamp's algorithm to check for irreducibility. Additionally, a polynomial of degree 2 or 3 can also be tested using the quadratic or cubic formula, respectively.

3. Can an irreducible polynomial have complex roots?

Yes, an irreducible polynomial can have complex roots. This is because the irreducibility of a polynomial is determined by the inability to factor it into simpler terms, not by the type of roots it has.

4. Are all prime polynomials irreducible?

No, not all prime polynomials are irreducible. A prime polynomial is a polynomial that cannot be factored into two polynomials of lower degree. However, a prime polynomial can still be reducible if it can be factored into two or more polynomials of the same or higher degree.

5. Are irreducible polynomials useful in mathematics?

Yes, irreducible polynomials are very useful in mathematics. They are used in fields such as number theory, algebraic geometry, and coding theory. They also have applications in cryptography, as they can be used to generate finite fields which are essential in many encryption algorithms.