Can US citizens regain control of our government?

In summary, our government is supposed to be a representative body - that is, we citizens are not given the right to participate in a true democracy, but we are allowed to elect representatives who we expect to vote on our behalf. This system has been broken for a very long time. It seems like no matter who we send to Washington, they listen to special-interest groups, lobbyists, and party hacks instead of the voters. When I send letters to my representatives (and I do) any answer that I might receive will be a general form letter, meanwhile, "my" representatives speak to special interest groups at dinners and breakfasts and get squired around on
Echo 6 Sierra said:
Face it, we're all going to wind up in a KBR/Haliburton indoctrination camp.
OK, now that you've given away the plan, the CIA is going to give you a free plane ride to Romania, or maybe Egypt if you act up too much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Putting a stop to government overspending?
http://marketplace.publicradio.org/shows/2006/06/19/PM200606193.html

The Senate Budget Committee tomorrow looks at an overhaul package that would force big spenders in Congress to stay below a steadily declining limit. If they don't? Mandatory across-the-board spending cuts. Yeah, right! :rolleyes:

KAI RYSSDAL: If you ran a household budget like Congress runs the government, you'd wind up in jail. Many lawmakers haven't met a pet project they didn't like. So this week some on Capitol Hill are making a plea: Stop me before I spend again. :rolleyes:

Marketplace's John Dimsdale has the story from Washington.

Last edited by a moderator: