Concept of quantization-Schroedinger equation

• Thread starter War-Saw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concept
In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of quantization in relation to the energy levels of a particle in a box of length L. The solution to the Schroedinger equation was given as Psi = C sin ( sqrt( 2 m E ) / h x ), and the individual was struggling to solve the equation and asked for help. The solution was explained to involve solving the differential equation and considering the proper value of V(x). It was also mentioned that the wave function must go to zero at x=0 and x=L, and the curvature of the function must be infinite at each end-point.
War-Saw
I have a little problem with giving the solution for this question:
Explain the concept of quantization on the example of energy levels for
particle in the box of length L if the solution to Schroedinger equation is Psi = C sin ( sqrt( 2 m E ) / h x )
Maybe I don't understand this question, but for couple of hours I'm trying to solve this and my results are not impressive, so I ask You for help. I can give you my mail: my mail

Physics news on Phys.org
War-Saw said:
I have a little problem with giving the solution for this question:
Explain the concept of quantization on the example of energy levels for
particle in the box of length L if the solution to Schroedinger equation is Psi = C sin ( sqrt( 2 m E ) / h x )
Maybe I don't understand this question, but for couple of hours I'm trying to solve this and my results are not impressive, so I ask You for help. I can give you my mail: my mail

yes I also solved this in my introductory course, along with the partial differential equations of General relativity.

ANYWAYS... What you need to do is start with the differential equaiton, then plug in proper value of V(x). You will get two separate solutions, and the I believe you can throw one of them out (because it is and odd function). Show some work btw.

War-Saw has the solution ... but he did not draw the wave function yet.
So he might see the "E" in the argument, along with m and h,
but he doesn't realize that the function must go to zero at x=0 and x=L .

Looking at the diff.eq. will show that the curvature of the function
must be infinite at each end-point x=0 and x=L (for zero distance, tho).

1. What is the concept of quantization?

The concept of quantization is the idea that certain physical properties, such as energy and momentum, can only take on discrete, or quantized, values rather than continuous values. This concept is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and is essential for understanding the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale.

2. What is the Schroedinger equation?

The Schroedinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes how the quantum state of a physical system changes over time. It is a central equation in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular state at a given time.

3. How does the concept of quantization relate to the Schroedinger equation?

The concept of quantization is incorporated into the Schroedinger equation through the use of operators, which represent the physical properties that are being quantized. These operators act on the wave function, which describes the probability of finding a particle in a particular state, and allow for the calculation of quantized values such as energy levels.

4. Why is the Schroedinger equation important in quantum mechanics?

The Schroedinger equation is important in quantum mechanics because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale. It has been successfully used to explain a wide range of phenomena, from the behavior of atoms and molecules to the properties of subatomic particles. It is also a fundamental equation in the development of quantum technologies.

5. How does the Schroedinger equation differ from classical mechanics?

The Schroedinger equation differs from classical mechanics in several ways. One of the main differences is that classical mechanics describes the behavior of objects in terms of their position and momentum, whereas the Schroedinger equation describes the behavior of particles in terms of their wave function. Additionally, classical mechanics assumes that all physical properties can take on continuous values, while the Schroedinger equation incorporates the concept of quantization.