Tension in Chain in Multiple Pulley Station

In summary, the question asks for the tension in each chain of a pulley system used to lift a crate of 44 kg. The diagram shows that one chain connects the upper pulley to the ceiling and the other connects the lower pulley to the crate. Assuming negligible masses for the chains, pulleys, and ropes, the tension in each chain can be determined by setting the upward tension force equal to the downward force of the object's weight, which is 431.2N in this case. The initial answer of 215.6N was incorrect.
magnumxlv
This is for a graded online homework due at 11. I got everything else on it right, but this is giving me trouble for some reason. We get to resubmit answers once, and my first answer of 215.6N was wrong

Question: The pulley system in the figure is used to lift a crate of mass m = 44 kg. Note that a chain connects the upper pulley to the ceiling and a second chain connects the lower pulley to the crate. Assume that the masses of the chains, pulleys, and ropes are negligible. Determine the tension in each chain when the crate is being lifted with constant speed.

Diagram: https://jshare.johnshopkins.edu/amian3/public_html/pulleysystem.gif?uniq=-25jd0a

Initially, I figured the weight of the object would be distributed by the 2 tensions to the ceiling so I answered mg/2 which was 44*9.8/2 = 215.6N.

If anyone could help me out it'd be much appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Figured it out. It's just m*g = 431.2N. The Tension of the rope to the ceiling and the pulling force cancel out b/c its in equilibrium, so you just have the tension force going upward and mg going down so mg - T = 0, mg = T.

Thank you for reaching out for help with this problem. It seems like you have a good understanding of the basic principles involved in this pulley system. However, your initial answer of 215.6N is not quite correct. Let's take a closer look at the forces involved in this system.

First, let's define our variables:

m = mass of the crate (44 kg)
g = acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2)
T1 = tension in the chain connecting the upper pulley to the ceiling
T2 = tension in the chain connecting the lower pulley to the crate

Now, let's break down the forces acting on the crate. We have the weight of the crate (mg) pulling down, and we have the tension in the two chains pulling up. Since the crate is being lifted at a constant speed, we know that the net force on the crate is zero (Newton's First Law). This means that the upward forces must balance out the downward force. Therefore, we can set up the following equation:

T1 + T2 = mg

We also know that the tension in the two chains must be equal, since they are connected to the same crate. So we can rewrite the equation as:

2T = mg

Now, we can solve for T by plugging in our values:

2T = (44 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)
T = 215.6N

So, the tension in each chain is actually 215.6N, which is the same as your initial answer. However, it is important to note that this is the tension in each chain, not the total tension. The total tension in the system would be 2T, or 431.2N.

I hope this helps clarify the concept for you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out. Good luck with your resubmission!

1. What is tension in a chain?

Tension in a chain refers to the amount of force or pull being applied to the chain. It is the force that is transmitted through the chain to move or support an object.

2. How does tension in a chain affect multiple pulleys in a station?

In a multiple pulley station, tension in the chain is evenly distributed throughout the pulleys. This means that the tension in the chain will be the same at all points of contact with the pulleys, as long as the chain is not stretching or slipping.

3. What factors can affect tension in a chain in a multiple pulley station?

The tension in a chain in a multiple pulley station can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the object being lifted, the number of pulleys in the system, the friction between the pulleys and the chain, and the angle at which the chain is pulled.

4. How can I calculate the tension in a chain in a multiple pulley station?

To calculate the tension in a chain in a multiple pulley station, you will need to know the weight of the object being lifted, the number of pulleys in the system, and the angle at which the chain is being pulled. You can then use the formula T = (W/n) x (1/sinθ) to calculate the tension, where T is the tension, W is the weight, n is the number of pulleys, and θ is the angle.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding tension in a chain in a multiple pulley station?

Understanding tension in a chain in a multiple pulley station is important in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and construction. It is used in the design of lifting systems, cranes, and other machinery. It is also important in understanding the mechanics of how objects are lifted and moved, and can help ensure the safety and efficiency of these processes.