Heat of Mixing & differential enthelpy of dilution

M is a small increment of molality.In summary, the heat of mixing and differential heat of dilution are related but different concepts when working with solutions. The heat of mixing can be obtained from sources such as Perry's Chemical Handbook or Elementary Principles of Chemical Process, while the differential heat of dilution can be calculated from an integral table, which lists enthalpy changes as a function of molality.
ritunesh
I want to know what's difference between heat of mixing and differential heat of dilution. I am working on calcium chloride solution. I need to know also from where i can get heat of mixing of calcium chloride solution.
Thanking you

Physics news on Phys.org
Source

The heat of solution you can get it from Perry's Chemical Handbook or Elementary Principles of Chemical Process.

ritunesh said:
I want to know what's difference between heat of mixing and differential heat of dilution. I am working on calcium chloride solution. I need to know also from where i can get heat of mixing of calcium chloride solution.
Thanking you
Typically, you get what are called Integral tables for heat of dilution. Such a table (as the one linked above) lists enthalpy changes (relative to infinite dilution, where h = 0) as a function of molality. So the heat of dilution to go from molality M1 to molality M2 is simply the difference between two values in the table, namely h(M1) - h(M2) and it would have units of say, kJ.

If you plot the heat of dilution vs molality (you will see that it is often a monotonically increasing curve up to pretty high concentrations), the slope of that curve at any chosen molality is the differential heat of dilution at that molality. From an integral table, it is (approximately) = {h(M+dM) - h(M-dM)}/2dM (with units of kJ/molal)

Last edited:

1. What is the heat of mixing?

The heat of mixing, also known as the enthalpy of mixing, is the amount of heat released or absorbed when two or more substances are mixed together. It is a measure of the energy changes that occur when the molecules of different substances interact with each other.

2. How is the heat of mixing calculated?

The heat of mixing can be calculated using the following formula: ΔHmix = ΣniΔHi, where ΔHmix is the heat of mixing, ni is the number of moles of each component, and ΔHi is the enthalpy of each component.

3. What factors affect the heat of mixing?

The heat of mixing is affected by the types of molecules being mixed, their concentrations, and the temperature at which the mixing occurs. It can also be influenced by intermolecular forces, such as hydrogen bonding, between the molecules.

4. What is the differential enthalpy of dilution?

The differential enthalpy of dilution is a measure of the change in enthalpy when a solute is added to a solvent to create a solution. It is the difference between the enthalpy of the solution and the enthalpy of the pure components at the same temperature and pressure.

5. How is the differential enthalpy of dilution related to the heat of mixing?

The differential enthalpy of dilution is related to the heat of mixing because it is a measure of the energy changes that occur when a solute is mixed with a solvent. In other words, it is a specific type of heat of mixing that only applies to solutions and takes into account the enthalpy changes of the pure components.