How to Create a Pop-Up Effect with Paper?

• Thread starter crays
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, to make a paper pop out like in the picture, get a sheet of paper and draw 8 parallel lines perpendicular to its length. Fold the paper accordion-style at each line, then stack the folds on top of each other and release. If the paper is not folded too much, it will pop out like rubber due to its limited elastic range. Creasing the folds too much will prevent the paper from exerting a restorative force. Empirical calculation is recommended for determining the restorative force.
crays
Hi can anyone tell me how to make a paper pop out ? something like the picture here .

Attachments

• release.jpg
    release.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
  1. Get a sheet of paper.
  2. Draw approximately 8 parallel lines perpendicular to the length of the sheet of paper.
  3. At each line, fold the paper, alternating the direction of the fold ("accordion" style).
  4. Put the paper on the ground such that all folds are stacked on top of one another.
  5. Let go - the paper will pop out, as long as you did not crease the folds too much.

lol sorry , my explanation skill and english is not that good . I mean , it would pop up like rubber , some force that pushes it up .

Paper is not very elastic, but if you try what saketh said, and don't fold the paper too much, then it might work. folding the paper too much will deform the paper too far beyond its limited elastic range.

crays said:
lol sorry , my explanation skill and english is not that good . I mean , it would pop up like rubber , some force that pushes it up .
If you crease the folds too much, then the paper will be unable to exert a significant restorative force. Picture the paper as a thin slice of wood. If you bend the wood, it will exert a restorative force against the bending force. If the bending force exceeds a certain critical limit, the wood will break and the restorative force goes to zero. Similarly, creasing the paper too much will "break" it.

After doing what I said in my post above, you will find that the paper will be able to push light things upwards. Don't ask me how to theoretically calculate the restorative force - empirical calculation is the way to go.

1. How do I make a paper pop out using scissors?

To make a paper pop out using scissors, you will need a piece of paper, scissors, and a pencil. Start by drawing the design or shape you want to pop out on the paper. Then, carefully cut along the lines of the design with the scissors. Make sure to leave a small strip of paper intact at one end to act as a hinge. Finally, gently push the cut-out portion of the paper forward to create a pop-out effect.

2. Can I make a paper pop out without scissors?

Yes, you can make a paper pop out without scissors by using a scoring tool or a blunt knife. Instead of cutting along the lines of the design, use the tool to score the paper. This means lightly pressing down on the paper along the lines to create a crease. Then, follow the same steps as using scissors by pushing the cut-out portion forward to create a pop-out effect.

3. What type of paper is best for making pop-outs?

The best type of paper for making pop-outs is a thicker and sturdier paper, such as cardstock or construction paper. These types of paper are more durable and can hold the pop-out shape better than regular printer paper.

4. How can I make my pop-out design more intricate?

To make a more intricate pop-out design, you can use a craft knife instead of scissors. This will allow you to make more precise and detailed cuts. You can also use multiple layers of paper to create a 3D effect or add embellishments, such as glitter or stickers, to enhance your design.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when making paper pop-outs?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when making paper pop-outs. Always use sharp scissors or a craft knife with caution, and supervise children if they are using these tools. Also, be careful not to cut too close to the edges of the paper to avoid any accidents. If using a scoring tool or craft knife, make sure to work on a protected surface, such as a cutting mat, to prevent damage to your work surface.