Writing College App Essays: Tips to Get You Started

• Schools
  • Thread starter moose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    App College
In summary, starting these application essays can feel overwhelming, but there are some helpful tips you can follow. Take some time to reflect on your experiences and interests, use the prompts as a guide but don't be limited by them, consider organizing your thoughts with a mind map or outline, look at sample essays for inspiration but don't copy them, and don't be afraid to ask for help. These essays are a chance to showcase your unique qualities, so be authentic and take your time. Good luck!
moose
:yuck:

I'm killing myself over these essays. Seriously, GRRRR
I cannot seem to be able to start any of these essays because I can't think of anything to write about. Does anyone have any advice on writing these?

If you're curious, these are my app essays for Cornell and UMich

Cornell:
This personal statement helps us become acquainted with you in ways different from courses, grades, test scores, and other objective data. It will demonstrate your ability to organize thoughts and express yourself. We are looking for an essay that will help us know you better as a person and as a student. Please write an essay (250-500 words) on a topic of your choice or on one of the options listed below.
Also, please indicate your topic by checking the appropriate box below.

+ Evaluate a significant experience, achievement, risk you have taken, or ethical dilemma you have faced and its impact on you.
+ Discuss some issue of personal, local, national, or international concern and its importance to you.
+ Indicate a person who has had a significant influence on you, and describe that influence.
+ Describe a character in fiction, an historical figure, or a creative work (as in art, music, science, etc.) that has had an influence on you, and explain that influence.
+ A range of academic interests, personal perspectives, and life experiences adds much to the educational mix. Given your personal background, describe an experience that illustrates what you would bring to the diversity in a college community or an encounter that demonstrated the importance of diversity to you.
+ Topic of your choice

That essay and

Engineers turn ideas (technical, scientific, mathematical) into reality. Tell us about your interest in engineering or an engineering idea you have. Explain how Cornell Engineering can help you further explore this interest or idea.

University of Michigan
Short Answer (250 words):
At the University of Michigan, we are committed to building a superb educational community with students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions and cultural backgrounds. What would you as an individual bring to our campus community?

Second Short Answer (250 words):
What led you to choose the area(s) of academic interest that you have listed in your application to the University of Michigan? If you are undecided, what areas are you most interested in, and why?

Essay (500 words):
All applicants, answer one of the following questions, either [A], , or [C]. Make sure your name and the question text are on each page. (approximately 500 words)

[A] Describe a setback that you have faced. How did you resolve it? How did the outcome affect you? If something similar happened in the future, how would you react?

OR

Discuss an issue of local, national, or international concern. Why is this issue important to you? How do you think it should be addressed?

OR

[C] Advances in science and technology often create ethical dilemmas for individuals and society. How does a recent scientific or technological innovation pose an ethical challenge for you?

Please include a one-inch margin on each page of your document

Ok, so how should I go about starting these? Would it help to look at sample application essays, or what?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! It sounds like you are feeling overwhelmed with these essays, and that is completely understandable. Writing can be a challenging process, especially when it comes to personal statements and application essays. Here are a few tips to help you get started:

1. Take some time to brainstorm and reflect on your experiences and interests. The prompts for these essays are designed to help you share more about yourself and what makes you unique. So, take some time to think about your personal experiences, achievements, interests, and values. What stories or moments stand out to you? What has had a significant impact on your life? What do you care about and why?

2. Use the prompts as a guide, but don't feel limited by them. The prompts are there to give you direction, but you don't have to strictly adhere to them. If you have a different idea or topic that you feel passionate about, go for it! Just make sure that your essay still addresses the prompt in some way.

3. Consider using a mind map or outline to organize your thoughts. This can help you visually see the connections between different ideas and experiences. It can also help you structure your essay in a way that flows well and stays on topic.

4. Look at sample essays for inspiration, but don't copy them. It can be helpful to read examples of successful application essays to see how others have approached the prompts. However, it's important to remember that your essay should be unique to you and your experiences. Don't try to copy someone else's writing style or story - admissions officers can tell when an essay is not genuine.

5. Don't be afraid to ask for help. If you are really struggling to get started, consider reaching out to a teacher, mentor, or friend for feedback and guidance. They can provide valuable insights and help you brainstorm ideas.

Remember, these essays are an opportunity to share more about yourself and what makes you a unique candidate for these universities. So take your time, be authentic, and don't be too hard on yourself. Good luck!

I understand the importance of organization and clear communication in any piece of writing. Writing college application essays can certainly be a daunting task, but it is important to remember that these essays are an opportunity for you to showcase your unique experiences, perspectives, and passions.

First and foremost, it may be helpful to take some time to brainstorm and reflect on your own personal experiences and what makes you stand out as an individual. Consider what you are most proud of, what challenges you have overcome, and what motivates you. These can all be potential topics to explore in your essays.

In addition, it can be useful to look at sample application essays to get a sense of the structure and tone that is expected. However, it is important to remember that these essays should be your own original work, and not simply copied from someone else.

When writing your essays, be sure to answer the prompt directly and provide specific examples to support your points. It may also be helpful to have someone else read and provide feedback on your essays to ensure they are clear, concise, and effectively showcase your strengths.

Lastly, remember that these essays are an opportunity to demonstrate your writing skills and express yourself in a way that cannot be captured by grades and test scores. Embrace this opportunity and let your unique voice shine through. Best of luck in your writing process.

What is the purpose of a college application essay?

The purpose of a college application essay is to provide admissions officers with a deeper understanding of who you are as a person beyond your grades and test scores. It allows you to showcase your personality, passions, and unique qualities that make you a strong candidate for their college.

What should I include in my college application essay?

Your college application essay should include a strong and engaging introduction, a well-organized body that highlights your experiences and accomplishments, and a conclusion that ties everything together. Be sure to also include specific examples and personal anecdotes to make your essay more memorable.

How can I make my college application essay stand out?

To make your college application essay stand out, focus on being authentic and genuine. Don't try to write what you think admissions officers want to hear, instead write about what truly matters to you and showcases your unique perspective. Also, make sure to proofread and edit your essay to ensure it is free of errors and flows smoothly.

Is it okay to ask for help with my college application essay?

Yes, it is perfectly okay to seek help with your college application essay. You can ask for feedback from teachers, counselors, or even family and friends. However, make sure that the final essay is in your own voice and reflects your own ideas and experiences.

When should I start writing my college application essay?

It is recommended to start writing your college application essay early, ideally during the summer before your senior year of high school. This will give you enough time to brainstorm ideas, receive feedback, and make revisions before the application deadlines. However, if you are applying for early decision or early action, you should start even earlier.