Calculating Force Exerted in Space: A Problem-Solving Guide

• Thread starter sebas531
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, an astronaut weighing 798 N on Earth lifts off from planet Zuton where the free fall acceleration is 8.8 m/s2. At the moment of lift off, the spaceship experiences an acceleration due to gravity of 8.9 m/s2. The question is asking for the magnitude of the force that the spaceship exerts on the astronaut, but the exact numbers and units are not given. Some calculations are done to try and solve the problem, but the correct answer is still unclear.
sebas531
force exerted... Please help

An astronaut who weighs 798 N on the surface of the Earth lifts off from planet Zuton in space ship. The free fall acceleration on Zuton in 8.8 m/s2. At the moment of lift off the spaceship experiances an acceleration gravity of 8.9 m/s2.
What is the magnitude of the force that the spaceship exerts on the astronaut? Answer in units of N.

Please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is not stated very well in terms of the extra force from the rocket acceleration, but whatever. Can you tell us how much the person weighed on Zuton before the ship took off? And how much force does the acceleration of takeoff add? What is the total?

Well since the Astronaut's mass is 798 / 9.8 which equals 81.43, shouldn't his weight on Zuton be 81.43 * 8.8 which equals 716.58? Not sure if that helps much :p

I have the same problem as above with slightly different numbers...
The mass of the astronaut ends up being 74.1 in my problem (he weighs 726.6N on Earth)
Gravity on Zuton=7.8m/s2
The ship accelerates at a speed of 9.1m/s
I've tried to plug in numbers in Newton's 2nd law and still can't seem to come up with the correct answer. I figured that gravity and the ships 'a' must be part of the equation at some point but i can't seem to figure out how they fit.
Please help?

1. What is force exerted?

Force exerted refers to the amount of physical energy applied to an object or substance, resulting in a change in its motion or state of rest.

2. How is force exerted measured?

Force exerted is typically measured in units of Newtons (N), which is equivalent to 1 kg*m/s^2. Other common units include pounds (lbs) and kilogram-force (kgf).

3. What factors affect the amount of force exerted?

The amount of force exerted can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the acceleration of the object, and the distance over which the force is applied. Additionally, the type of force (e.g. gravitational, electromagnetic, etc.) can also impact the amount of force exerted.

4. How does force exerted relate to Newton's Laws of Motion?

According to Newton's First Law of Motion, an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force. This means that the force exerted on an object can either cause it to start moving or change its direction or speed.

5. Can force exerted be negative?

Yes, force exerted can be negative if it is acting in the opposite direction of the object's motion. For example, if a car is traveling east and experiences a force exerted to the west, the force exerted would be considered negative.