Potential inside a hollow sphere

In summary, to find the potential inside a hollow sphere, you need to determine the electric potential on its surface, and then use the orthogonal property to find the potential inside the sphere. You also need to solve for the value of A_n.
Logarythmic
I have a problem finding the potential inside a hollow sphere. The problem is formulated as:
"Determine the electric potential inside a hollow sphere of radius a given that the potential on its surface is f(theta)"
I have found a function V(r,theta) through separation of variables and all I have left is to apply the boundary conditions. One is given, but I guess I need another one when my function has two unknown constants. How do I find that second boundary condition?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your radial solution will be of the form

[tex] f(r) = Ar^n + B/r^{n+1} [/tex]

So, what happens when r goes to 0? What does that tell you about B?

You'll need only one boundary condition for [itex] V(r,\theta) [/itex] as a result. (Although you'll have infinite constants. Use the orthogonality property of Legendre polynomials to calculate them)

Last edited:
So this forces B to equal zero, right? Then my potential function looks like V(r,theta) = A_n r^n P-n(cos(theta)) and I should somehow use that the integral over P_m* P_n equals zero if m is different from n, ok? I just don't know how..?
(Damn, it would be easier if I knew how to use LaTeX) ;)

Logarythmic said:
So this forces B to equal zero, right?
Yeah

Then my potential function looks like V(r,theta) = A_n r^n P-n(cos(theta)) and I should somehow use that the integral over P_m* P_n equals zero if m is different from n, ok?
I just don't know how..?
(Damn, it would be easier if I knew how to use LaTeX) ;)

You've almost got it. Your potential function will be
[tex] V(r,\theta)= \sum_{n=0}^\infty A_n r^n P_n(\cos \theta) [/tex]

and so at r=R

[tex] f(\theta)= \sum_{n=0}^\infty A_n R^n P_n(\cos \theta) [/tex]

(Check out https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997", or click the image to see the code)

Since the legendre polynomials are orthogonal, multiply both sides of the above equation by [tex] P_m (\cos \theta) \sin \theta [/tex] (this is important. Do you see why?) and integrate (can you tell me the limits?). So, can you take it from here?

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand why I should multiply both sides with P_m(cos theta) but not why to include sin theta. The limits should be from 0 to pi, right?

I got it now. sin(theta) is for the substitution cos(theta) = x to work out. Then I get an expression for A_m with an integral over P_m(cos theta)f(theta)sin(theta)d(theta). But then what?

Logarythmic said:
I got it now. sin(theta) is for the substitution cos(theta) = x to work out. Then I get an expression for A_m with an integral over P_m(cos theta)f(theta)sin(theta)d(theta). But then what?

Yes. Now, what about the other side of the equation? Remember that your aim is to get the value of [itex]A_n[/itex].

If you found that as an integral, then you're done! You know the solution to the potential at any point in the sphere.

Last edited:
But the correct answer should be
[tex]V(r,\theta) = -\frac{u_0}{3} + \frac{4u_0}{3}(\frac{r}{R})^2P_2(\cos \theta)[/tex].

The given potential at R is
[tex]V(R,\theta) = u_o \cos(2\theta)[/tex].

(I'm using LaTeX!)

Since you know [itex]f(\theta)[/itex], evaluate the integral using the orthogonal property!

Where exactly are you stuck at? Can you post that here?

I substituted [tex]\cos \theta = x[/tex] and used the orthogonal property. Then I re-substituted to get the [tex]\theta[/tex]-dependence again and now my expression looks like

[tex]A_m = -\frac{1+2m}{2} a^\textit{-m} \int_{0}^{\pi} P_m(\cos \theta) u_0 cos(2\theta) sin \theta d\theta[/tex]

I don't know where to go from here.

Last edited:
To simplify the integral on the RHS, as I've said before, you're going to need the orthogonal property . Have you tried writing [itex]\cos(2\theta) [/itex] in terms of [itex]P_2(\cos \theta) [/itex]? (Also, [itex]1=P_0(\cos \theta)[/itex])

Hey, I solved it! Thanks alot! This has really helped me in my understanding of Legendre polynomials.

What is the potential inside a hollow sphere?

The potential inside a hollow sphere is constant and equal to the potential at the surface of the sphere.

How is the potential inside a hollow sphere calculated?

The potential inside a hollow sphere can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere.

Does the potential inside a hollow sphere depend on the distance from the center?

No, the potential inside a hollow sphere is independent of the distance from the center. This is because the electric field inside a hollow sphere is zero, thus the potential remains constant throughout the sphere.

How does the potential inside a hollow sphere compare to that of a solid sphere?

The potential inside a hollow sphere is constant, while the potential inside a solid sphere varies. This is because the charge is distributed on the surface of a hollow sphere, while it is distributed throughout the volume of a solid sphere.

Can the potential inside a hollow sphere be negative?

Yes, the potential inside a hollow sphere can be negative. This happens when the total charge on the sphere is negative. In this case, the potential inside the sphere will be negative and decrease as the distance from the center increases.