Electromagnetism books that are good

In summary, the conversation was about finding a shorter and easier to read book on the topic of Electromagnetism. The person recommended the book "Nayfeh and Brussel" as it is at a similar level to "Grant and Phillips" and has many worked examples. The person also suggested checking out the Dover Publications website for more E&M books.
Princess Ana
I'm looking for something that covers similar material to Electromagnetism, Grant and Phillips (Manchester Physics Series), but is shorter and easier to read through - I find Grant and Phillips useful (and will buy it), but could really do with a summary/outline to build on.

Any recommendations that I can check out? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Daverz said:
It sounds like Nayfeh and Brussel would be at about the same level. This book has tons of worked examples.

Thanks - one of the copies in my uni library is on loan, which has to be a good sign! Will check it out when I'm next in uni :smile:

1. What is the best book to learn about electromagnetism?

The best book to learn about electromagnetism is "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths. It provides a comprehensive and clear explanation of the subject, ideal for both beginners and advanced readers.

2. Are there any recommended electromagnetism books for self-study?

Yes, "Electromagnetism for Engineers" by P. Hammond is a highly recommended book for self-study. It covers the basics of electromagnetism in an easy-to-understand manner and includes many practice problems to reinforce learning.

3. Are there any electromagnetism books specifically for engineering students?

"Electromagnetic Field Theory Fundamentals" by Bhag Singh Guru and Hüseyin R. Hiziroglu is a great book for engineering students. It presents the subject in a practical and application-based approach, making it useful for students in the field.

4. Can you recommend a book that covers both classical and modern electromagnetism?

"Classical Electromagnetism" by Jerrold Franklin is a comprehensive book that covers both classical and modern electromagnetism. It includes in-depth explanations of Maxwell's equations and their applications in various fields.

5. Is there a book that focuses on electromagnetism in the context of quantum mechanics?

"Introduction to Electromagnetic Theory: A Modern Perspective" by P. C. Clemmow and D. G. Strong is a great book that delves into the relationship between electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. It is suitable for advanced readers and provides a deeper understanding of the subject.