YoYo Challenge Help: Building & Materials Tips

• Thread starter Smartguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Challenge
In summary, the conversation discusses an assignment similar to a yo-yo challenge and the necessary equations and factors to consider in building the yo-yo. The performance of the yo-yo is reliant on the radius and mass, with a larger radius being beneficial. The article suggests that more mass distribution in the periphery of the yo-yo simulates the properties of a thin ring and taking into account energy conservation for both kinetic and rotational energy. It is believed that having more moment of inertia will give the yo-yo more power to return to its starting point. Suggestions for materials and further insight into building the yo-yo are welcomed.
Smartguy
Hey guys! I have an assignment similar to this:

http://www.physics.uwo.ca/science_olympics/events/grades_11_to_12/yo_yo_challenge.html

I don't really know how to go about building this. From looking at the nesessary equations (moment of inertia, etc.) it seems to me that the performance of the yoyo in this task is reliant upon the radius and mass of the yoyo. I'm pretty sure a larger radius will be beneficial, but I am not too sure about the mass. (we have not covered rotational motion yet so i am not an expert on how this kind of yoyo works)

I'm also not sure about what materials i should use to construct it, given that i cannot use parts of other yoyos, and they should be fairly cheap.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated...im not looking for anyone to solve the whole thing for me, just further insight into how this kind of yoyo works and how i can use this knowledge to go about building it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Like the article says, the best teams had more mass distribution in the periphery of the object, meaning that it simulated the properties of a thin ring. Since you now have to take into account that energy conservation applies not only to kinetic energy in the form of 1/2*M*v^2 but to rotational kinetic energy in the form of 1/2*I*(omega)^2. So you need more rotational energy at the bottom so that the yo-yo "crawls" its way back up. Essentially the more moment of inertia that the yo-yo has the more power it has to go back up to its original starting point. At least this is what I believe would happen in this situation, if I'm wrong and someone sees please correct me.

Hello,

It's great that you are taking on this challenge and are seeking help to understand the physics behind it. As you mentioned, the performance of the yoyo in this task is dependent on its radius and mass. In order to optimize its performance, you will need to consider both of these factors carefully.

In terms of radius, a larger radius will indeed be beneficial as it will allow for a longer string length and therefore more time for the yoyo to complete the task. However, you will also need to consider the weight of the yoyo in relation to its radius. A larger radius will also increase the moment of inertia, making it more difficult to rotate the yoyo and potentially affecting its performance. Therefore, finding the right balance between radius and mass is important.

In terms of materials, it's best to use lightweight and durable materials in constructing the yoyo. This will help to minimize the overall mass of the yoyo while still ensuring its strength and stability during the challenge. Some suggestions for materials could be plastic, aluminum, or carbon fiber.

Additionally, it's important to understand the physics behind rotational motion and how it applies to the yoyo. This will help you make informed decisions when designing and building the yoyo. I would recommend doing some research on the concepts of moment of inertia, angular velocity, and torque to gain a better understanding of how these factors affect the yoyo's performance.

I hope this helps to guide you in the right direction. Remember to test and make adjustments to your design as needed, and have fun with the challenge! Best of luck.

1. What are the best materials to use for building a yo-yo for the YoYo Challenge?

The best materials to use for building a yo-yo for the YoYo Challenge are durable and lightweight materials, such as aluminum, titanium, or high-grade plastic. These materials are able to withstand the high speeds and impacts of yo-yoing without breaking or warping.

2. How can I improve the spin time of my yo-yo?

To improve the spin time of your yo-yo, make sure to keep the bearing clean and lubricated. You can also try using a concave bearing, which helps keep the string centered and reduces friction. Additionally, using a thicker string can also help improve spin time.

3. What is the optimal weight for a yo-yo in the YoYo Challenge?

The optimal weight for a yo-yo in the YoYo Challenge varies depending on personal preference, but most yo-yoers prefer a weight between 65-70 grams. This weight allows for a good balance between stability and speed.

4. How can I make my yo-yo more responsive?

If you want your yo-yo to be more responsive, try using a thinner string and/or a narrower gap between the yo-yo halves. You can also add some lubrication to the bearing to increase the responsiveness. Keep in mind that a more responsive yo-yo may sacrifice some spin time.

5. What is the best shape for a yo-yo for the YoYo Challenge?

The best shape for a yo-yo for the YoYo Challenge is a butterfly or H-shape. These shapes provide a larger catch zone, making it easier to land tricks and maintain control. They also tend to have a more stable spin and allow for longer sleep times.