Design 4-16 Decoder & Full Subtractor Systematically

In summary, the conversation covers topics such as systematic ways of expressing boolean equations, the use of multiplexers, decoders, and k-maps in designing circuits, and the request for an example or step-by-step process for completing a homework problem.
david90
Is there a systematic ways of expressing a boolean equation such as "ab+a'c" using multiplexer? Eyeballing and trial and error do not seem to work .
What about decoder? Will k-map help?

I have to design a 4 to 16 decoder using 2 to 4 decoder with some gates. I also have to design a full subtractor using decoder. How can u do it systematically (step by step)?

Thanks!:smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry but we are not meant to do homework questions :frown:

Just give me an example.

I bet your textbook has examples! It might even have done a problem just like the one you ask (but with different sizes)!

What is a 4-16 decoder and full subtractor system?

A 4-16 decoder is a combinational circuit that takes a 4-bit input and produces a 16-bit output, where only one output is active at a time. A full subtractor is a combinational circuit that performs binary subtraction of two bits and includes a borrow input from the previous stage. When combined, these two circuits form a system that can decode a 4-bit input and perform binary subtraction.

What is the purpose of a 4-16 decoder and full subtractor system?

The purpose of this system is to decode a 4-bit input and perform binary subtraction of two numbers represented by the input bits. It is commonly used in digital systems for arithmetic operations and data processing.

How is a 4-16 decoder and full subtractor system designed?

To design this system, one must first design the 4-16 decoder using logic gates such as AND, OR, and NOT. Then, the full subtractor can be designed using logic gates and a 2-to-4 decoder. Finally, the two circuits are combined to form the complete system.

What are the inputs and outputs of a 4-16 decoder and full subtractor system?

The inputs of this system are 4 bits representing the two numbers to be subtracted and a borrow input from the previous stage. The outputs are 16 bits representing the result of the subtraction and a carry output to the next stage.

What are the applications of a 4-16 decoder and full subtractor system?

This system is commonly used in digital systems for arithmetic operations and data processing. It can also be used in control circuits and microprocessors for performing subtraction operations.