What is the Derivative of logx(x) in Base x?

• Thread starter Karlisbad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point and is important for understanding the behavior of a function and making predictions. Some common problems with finding the derivative include not knowing the correct formula or method, dealing with non-continuous or non-differentiable functions, and making calculation errors. To ensure the correctness of a derivative, one can use the limit definition and check if it follows the rules and properties. Real-world applications of the derivative include physics, economics, and engineering. Alternative methods to finding the derivative include numerical methods and technology, but may not always be as accurate or efficient.
Karlisbad
i would need some help to find the derivative of:

[tex] y=log_{x} (x) [/tex] respect to x..:frown: the log is itself in base "x"...:rolleyes: to make the problem harder.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: [tex]\log_{b}x = \frac{\ln x}{\ln b}[/tex].

Note that I changed the name of the base to b, rather than x.

logx(x)=1. Therefore the derivative=0.

What is the derivative and why is it important?

The derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its behavior in the future.

What are some common problems with finding the derivative?

Some common problems with finding the derivative include not knowing the correct formula or method to use, dealing with functions that are not continuous or differentiable, and making errors in the calculation due to complex algebra or trigonometry.

How do I know if my derivative is correct?

To check if your derivative is correct, you can use the limit definition of the derivative and compare it to the derivative you calculated. You can also check if the derivative follows the rules and properties of derivatives, such as the power rule and the chain rule.

What are some real-world applications of the derivative?

The derivative has many real-world applications, such as in physics to calculate velocity and acceleration, in economics to analyze supply and demand curves, and in engineering to optimize designs and predict the behavior of systems.

Are there any alternatives to finding the derivative?

Yes, there are alternative methods to finding the derivative, such as using numerical methods like finite differences or using technology like graphing calculators or computer software. However, these methods may not always be as accurate or efficient as finding the derivative using traditional methods.