Is the Constantly Changing Textbook Industry a Nightmare for Instructors?

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the surprise of a new edition of a textbook being released without prior notice and the potential difficulties this may cause for students. The suggestion is made to contact the textbook representative for desk copies and supplements. There is also a discussion about the purpose of frequent new editions and the value of accompanying supplements.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
When I walked into my Optics class for the first day of class this morning, I found that the publisher had put out a new edition of the textbook (which I've been using for years) without telling me! :eek:

Fortunately the old chapter 3 (where I always started) seems to be the same as the new chapter 2, so at least the first couple of weeks will require minimal adjustment.

Physics news on Phys.org
...so your students have the new edition?

Contact your textbook representative and request desk copies of the new edition and its supplements.

Hopefully the changes in the new edition are significant... rather than a glossy overhaul with little change in content. I don't mind good "old editions", especially if they are reasonably priced [new or used].

I'm convinced that most new editions these days are just mixing the book up a little to prevent people from reselling (or worse, pirating) the old editions.

- Warren

.. that or adding probably useless supplements [study guides, CDs, online access].

(I haven't been impressed by the supplements I've seen bundled with most new textbooks. Such supplements might be worth it if they were tightly-integrated with the textbook content.)

chroot said:
I'm convinced that most new editions these days are just mixing the book up a little to prevent people from reselling (or worse, pirating) the old editions.

- Warren
Same here. For instance, I don't see any other conceivable reason why a lower-division math/science textbook would be on its 6th edition 6 years after its first, unless it's so horrible it had to be changed so many times. And if it's the latter, it'd be wise to stay clear of such a book.

What is "An Instructor's Nightmare"?

"An Instructor's Nightmare" is a phrase used to describe a particularly difficult or challenging teaching experience that instructors may encounter in their career.

What are some examples of "An Instructor's Nightmare"?

Some examples of "An Instructor's Nightmare" may include dealing with disruptive students, facing technical difficulties during a lesson, or struggling to engage a disinterested class.

How can instructors prepare for "An Instructor's Nightmare"?

Instructors can prepare for "An Instructor's Nightmare" by creating a detailed lesson plan, practicing effective classroom management techniques, and maintaining a positive attitude.

What can instructors do if they encounter "An Instructor's Nightmare"?

If instructors encounter "An Instructor's Nightmare", they can try to remain calm and address the issue with the help of a colleague or supervisor. They can also reflect on the experience and learn from it for future teaching situations.

How can instructors prevent "An Instructor's Nightmare" from happening?

While it may not be possible to completely prevent "An Instructor's Nightmare" from happening, instructors can take proactive steps such as setting clear expectations for students, establishing a positive classroom environment, and continuously improving their teaching skills to minimize the likelihood of such situations.